NEW Zebralight H603d, H603c, H603w shoot out

skater1on1

Newly Enlightened
Received my H603W two days ago. Used a H602W for two years before this.

Pros of 603w:
-Slightly brighter than 602
-Tint is slightly more pleasing despite higher kelvin

Cons:
-Defective upon arrival. Will randomly turn off during use, checked with several known good cells. Also will blink randomly at highest output level
-Artifact is noticeable and distracting. Time will tell if it's a deal breaker.
-Beam edge doesn't feel as crisp and clean as the 602w.
-Zebralight's crap customer service. Light was shipped out exactly two weeks past promised date without explanation. No customer service for defective unit. I've yet to receive a reply to my ticket. Of course no phone number is provided.

Summary - I might just switch back to another 602W. I need a light that inspires confidence, due to my heavy usage, and this light already has me nervous.

If there was another company that made a mule-style headlamp, I'd ditch Zebralight. Their poor customer service doesn't make up for their decent UI.

markr6

Flashaholic
-Zebralight's crap customer service. Light was shipped out exactly two weeks past promised date without explanation. No customer service for defective unit. I've yet to receive a reply to my ticket. Of course no phone number is provided.

I hear this quite often and it always surprises me. I've returned several lights in the past. They always responded with an RMA number within 1 day and I ship it out. I get a refund within a couple days after they receive it.

geokite

Newly Enlightened

I emailed them about the artifact in my H603d, possibly looking to exchange it for a H603, and after 2 days got a call from a sales rep. Had a good long conversation about the lights and informed him that the artifact issue was fixed with magic tape.

Yes, my H603d was shipped weeks after being "promised". Nothing unusual for ZL, par for the course. No reply to your ticket does not, IMO, equate to 'no customer service'. I'd give them another 2 days.

This is my 23rd ZL, and out of all those purchases I have only had one with an issue (I think it was a H32F that had a dark spot in the middle of the beam, got replaced promptly by the vendor I bought it from).

Steve

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I emailed them about the artifact in my H603d, possibly looking to exchange it for a H603, and after 2 days got a call from a sales rep. Had a good long conversation about the lights and informed him that the artifact issue was fixed with magic tape.

Yes, my H603d was shipped weeks after being "promised". Nothing unusual for ZL, par for the course. No reply to your ticket does not, IMO, equate to 'no customer service'. I'd give them another 2 days.

This is my 23rd ZL, and out of all those purchases I have only had one with an issue (I think it was a H32F that had a dark spot in the middle of the beam, got replaced promptly by the vendor I bought it from).

Steve

The XHP35 die has a cross as well, but not nearly as thick and prominent as that on the XML EasyWhite. Hope the H603 works out for you. The image of the die in the H603d is horrendous.

geokite

Newly Enlightened
As of right now, I'll be keeping the H603d and not get the H603. The magic tape fix eliminates the cross image of the LED, and I love the light color.

Steve

Andrey

Newly Enlightened
Tested the top modes of H603c.

Mode lmCurr ATime h:minTime specif.Switch M1 VM1 TimeNotes
H1_8303.503:47~2 h2.840:26No cooling. Current begins to drop after 25 sec. In 8 min stabilizes at 0.8 A.
H1_8300:40>3:10In water with ice.
H2_5311.603:45~2.5 h2.850:28No cooling. Current begins to drop after 2 min 43 sec. As in H1 mode, stabilizes at 0.8 A in 15 min.
H2_5311:342:43In water with ice.
5 h 35 min on L1 after switch from M1.
H3_2420.545:363:542.740:084 h 54 min on L1 after switch from M1.
H4_1100.2212:2311:002.780:11
M1_590.0929:2830:00

All tests performed on fresh NCR18650GA.
In all modes above the driver increases current as battery voltage drops, thus maintaining the constant power.
Switch from M1 to L1 occurs at 2.70 V. On L1 voltage first restores to 2.81 V, then begins dropping again very slowly. Light turns off at 7.69 V.

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
I snapped a picture of my h603c in the garden last night.
sOYSajhT6FhLAjQV61T-P3nr7wWFMrZwvCUZqc7dVA8PSSv-zgyuWur267_xTGQ34qzho6lRTF4dWoORdny3xjftbdysqxo0QQGFg0qS5MFIKbEjjm6bvbvZ1ccKhPsy1OZwJxF0SVjTudmxztrHTuERtGUVADdwxlg4ssYJk7ArGDQOzXq234QNH0jvPdv5PqM5n5uPK4h-lzr7RcWEQiSMmx_n64S7AKwDch0PhDLS6L3hfyUNl96f2zdZQCAGEoqEQo8_NQ0ps5V_yFHPICoQc-aj9XT7bl0PAO4lVjsj-QgpSkakSvvPf4jzUxO53kiD8BIJ4loPHGpQ8HxumY8sUZ4uRFBDtXGsvDIDXP3P2Wiz0axwwXC3cwqHFEktIdqXTbQ049i6QlrwhstQ5iWK2D1EnwHskjR-h-MydQQKkvsxZdYlr-u8XZtEfD_0lzn4mcf8ZukmZFkc4P8HV69mgqAILLbHWpzrD_UJ5Z9N3fqIi3kAJpfcrciMH7SBozxupxH6nvha7b0HoIgyv4yuZoEj2s9YUzxupxNMc-hU-ut6O9Qglh5uAohlPkhgcjxJx7MRCpkt-cKBl9QgSyOxFFGP6Nk=w1220-h813-no

tops2

Enlightened
Thanks for the picture!

Does the H603c really look that warm in person vs what you see on your monitors? I didn't expect it to look so warm unless it's my iPad mini screen.

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
No, it is my camera. I had it white balanced to shade (7000k) so the cool white LED lamps would look pure white in comparison. Our eyes automatically adjust to color temperature so it will realy only seem warm when compared to cool white lights. It actually looks cooler if your eyes are adjusted to incandescant lighting.
I will edit in a picture of the matching white balance. In reality the color of the light is similar to warmish starlight / full moonlight.

tops2

Enlightened
Lol. Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure if it was my eyes, or iPad, or my understanding of tints totally off. :D

mico

Newly Enlightened
Okay, I'm in:

H603c High CRI Flood Neutral White 18650 Headlamp
I adore the spotless.

Finally got mine. Was never really happy with the cloudy/shadowy beam of the 600Fc MkIII and loved the spotless 502, so went for this. Lovely tint.

Now, were's my sharpie?

(Quite surprised ZL would put this out with this artefact. Perhaps I've been spoilt by the 502...)

Collins

Newly Enlightened
Got my H603d today. Yes, the artifact is due to the quad die. I find it distracting; every movement of the head I notice it. Tonight I will do the DC fix, and take before and after shots, and post them.

Other than that, perfect. No issues with the button, brightness, battery rattle, anodizing, or modes. Performs exactly like my H602 that it should replace. I'll include a shot of my H602 also in my follow up.

Steve

Does the H602 have this "artifact" problem too? I've been looking at getting a full flood headlamp for a while now as I hate having hot spots or other distracting things from the light.

Collins

Newly Enlightened
Good news! I hear Zebralight will include a Sharpie and some magic tape with each H603d purchase in the future.

Sorry, I can't help myself.

Is there a certain type of primer and paint that you could paint that ring with matte black paint and will stick well and NOT chip off? I figure that's better than a sharpie marker.

geokite

Newly Enlightened
Does the H602 have this "artifact" problem too? I've been looking at getting a full flood headlamp for a while now as I hate having hot spots or other distracting things from the light.
My H602 did not. I got a call from a sales person at ZL and he said the H603 and H603w did not either, but that the H603c would have the artifact from the quad die.

But like I said, magic tape eliminated the artifact. Been using the light daily and I love it.

This artifact is different from any perceived artifact from the bezel ring reflection. I find that artifact very hard to see, so it is not a concern to me.

Steve

Collins

Newly Enlightened
My H602 did not. I got a call from a sales person at ZL and he said the H603 and H603w did not either, but that the H603c would have the artifact from the quad die.

But like I said, magic tape eliminated the artifact. Been using the light daily and I love it.

This artifact is different from any perceived artifact from the bezel ring reflection. I find that artifact very hard to see, so it is not a concern to me.

Steve

What difference do you notice from the H603c and your old H602?

I may look at the H603W. But will consider the H603C with frosted lens. I wouldn't like the idea of tape on lens, so I'd see if Zebralight would sell a frosted lens that fits the H603 models.

Does the H602 have this "bezel ring reflection" problem? Wonder if a H602 bezel would fit on the H603.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two Zebralight on the road, I should get tomorrow (H600Fc + H603w)
I was not willing to buy H603w because I read conflicting reports here.
usually I do not like immediately buy a new product because the first specimens may have problems (or after initial production they are made some improvements)
I had ordered a another H602w to keep as a backup (already own one) because it was on sale at a good price.
Unfortunately, the seller is forgotten and sold the copy which had reserved for me :-( he offered me H603w at the same price of H602w
I hope not to have problems with the new model, if I have time before the end of this week I can make a photo/video comparison with my old H602w
I will see tomorrow if I am satisfied with this upgrade, I hope not to have problems, until now none of my Zebralight failed.
(Translate with Google)

geokite

Newly Enlightened
What difference do you notice from the H603c and your old H602?

I may look at the H603W. But will consider the H603C with frosted lens. I wouldn't like the idea of tape on lens, so I'd see if Zebralight would sell a frosted lens that fits the H603 models.

Does the H602 have this "bezel ring reflection" problem? Wonder if a H602 bezel would fit on the H603.
The H603d is a bit dimmer than the H602 for the same setting, but it makes up for that with color rendition.

ZL doesn't do custom orders AFAIK. If there is a bezel reflection on my H602 it must be very slight, not enough for me to bother with.

Steve

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast

Concerning the H602 I've never seen anything strange in the beam,, nor any refractive problem.
(This is also using it at home)
In about 12 hours I will have the H603w, I am curious to compare with H602w
I'll do it immediately (at home) without waiting for the darkness
It sounds strange that Zebralight that has always made great lights can fall down with a defect how this.
By reading this page, it seems that it would be very evident on models that use the led Easy withe rather than on those who use XHP35 (I understand correctly?)
If so this is a pain because I would have liked to buy a H603c, use it in association with the H600Fc in the woods
About the frosted lens of H603 I do not think it's a good idea.
It is designed to spread the light on flashlights that have a reflector and I can not give any benefit or better performance on H603

(Translate with Google)

Latest posts