Nitrolon is underrated

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found a G3 LED online. Looks like a nitrolon body but aluminum head. Is that what they did in order to deal with the heat from the LED?

--flatline

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the nitrolon head didn't deal well with the heat that the leds gave off so surefire used the metal head. I got my first surefire -a G2L when they switched to the metal heads. Coming from an incandescent AA mini mag, I was blown away. The regulation wasn't great so it didn't take long for me to get a Malkoff M61L in there. I still have that light but it's now in my glove compartment, and the original surefire led module I gave to one of my coworkers after his Incan 6p bulb burnt out on a job.

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does that mean I can swap the heads of my P6 and G2? Or is something else going on there?

tuelleric

Enlightened
Imho, the downside with the G3 (as well with a stock 9P) is that there are no good options to run rechargeables in there. If you even still get 16500/17500 cells they are anything but up to date..

That said, since I recently got a 16650/2500 mAh cell my G2 with the Malkoff M61 HCRI now is one of my favourite lights!

34805651ic.jpeg

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Imho, the downside with the G3 (as well with a stock 9P) is that there are no good options to run rechargeables in there. If you even still get 16500/17500 cells they are anything but up to date..
34805651ic.jpeg

If you have 9v drop-in, you can run 2 x 16500 cells or 2 x 16340 + 1 spacer.

If you have a 6v drop-in, you can run 1 x 16650 + 1 spacer.

If you have a 3v drop-in, you can run 2 x AA (alkaline, NiMh, or Lithium primaries).

It's true that you're not always getting extra capacity over a G2, but you're definitely getting more options.

--flatline

tuelleric

Enlightened
If you have 9v drop-in, you can run 2 x 16500 cells or 2 x 16340 + 1 spacer.

If you have a 6v drop-in, you can run 1 x 16650 + 1 spacer.

If you have a 3v drop-in, you can run 2 x AA (alkaline, NiMh, or Lithium primaries).

It's true that you're not always getting extra capacity over a G2, but you're definitely getting more options.

--flatline

Agreed, 2 x AA is an option. Quite interesting, indeed..

ChattanoogaPhil

Newly Enlightened
I purchased my G3 about 10 years ago. It was on sale at MidwayUSA for $30 so I figured why not. But once I got it I asked myself, why? It was too big for carry, and the short runtime made it impractical for everyday uses around the house. However, I did like the extra length for handling. Anyway... it got tossed in a drawer and forgotten. Years later I came upon Malkoff. M61LL was the perfect solution. Three primary cells with twelve hours of regulated output transformed the G3 into the ultimate around the house kitchen drawer flashlight. From forgotten poor purchase to the perfect light... that's my G3 story.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
G2x Pro is a mighty fine flashlight that coincidently is nitrolon

I think that was the light that started this thread...*looks back at post #1*...yup!

I don't have one, but it's on my list of lights to consider next time I feel like a new light. I love the yellow!

--flatline

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Low beam brings back memories of 3D lights with fresh leakers back in the day.

High beam is better than the numbers suggest.

I have a couple for around the house use from 015 that still have the batteries they came with. They rarely get turned to high since the low is great for lighting under a sink, finding a crayon under the sofa...that sorta thing.

cp2315

Enlightened
I love my g2 and g2x pro lights. They are perfect for all kinds of uses, except maybe tasks requiring very long throws.
Just now I watched a review video for g2x-mv. It is such a cute little light. Substantially smaller than regular g2x. I will get it as my next light.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
How were your results? Did it work out?

--flatline

Yes it did... mostly. There was a thread on it somewhere... AH! Here it is... http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?222380-Surefire-mini-G2

(If I had to do it again, instead of cutting it near the head like the OP did (he used a lathe to precisely fit them together), I'd remove the metal sleeve first, cut it in half, cut the two halfs down until they were the right size, then cut the metal tube to size, THEN thread the pieces onto the metal tube with some epoxy, and flare the end of the tube to keep it together.)