Nitrolon is underrated

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just won a G3 on ebay. Wasn't actually expecting to win, but now that it's on its way, I guess I'll need to figure out what I'm going to do with it.

I have what I need to make 2xAA low voltage set up, but I like where my M31 is now. I'll probably throw one of my M61LL variants in it with a 16650 and a spacer.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had the G3 for a couple of days now. It came with the original packaging and I have every reason to believe that it's authentic. I was expecting it to be identical to my G2 except longer, but it turns out that they vary in several ways.

1. the anti-roll mechanism on the G3 head is six flat surfaces at the base of the head exactly like on my 6P. The G2 head has 12 little rounded bumps instead.
2. "surefire" on the side of the body has a cross-hair between the "e" and the "f" on the G2. On the G3 there is nothing between the "e" and "f" but instead there are curves above and below "ef" that imply a circle. The waffle pattern is identical on both except that the G3 has 2 more rows of it.
3. the G3 has a notch at the tail end of the body (just like my 6P does). The Tail has a matching bump on it. The G2 is missing both of these.
4. the G3 tailcap has grooves that are about 80% the length of the tailcap. The grooves on the G2 are about 50% the length of the tailcap.
5. the end of the G3 tailcap says "USA" above the button and "WWW.SUREFIRE.COM" below the button. The G2 tailcap has no markings at all. The innards of both tailcaps look identical.

I'm assuming that this is simply the result of being produced in different years or on different assembly lines. I was just surprised to see the amount of variation.

I'm very pleased with the G3. The extra length is much more comfortable in the hand since it actually balances in the hand. The G2 balances on my index finger which makes me grip it harder. The extra length that makes the G3 feel so good in the hand is a bit of a problem when holstered on my belt. I actually had to take it off while driving. I was intending to use this as a house light, so this is not a deal breaker. Just disappointing.

I used it a bit with the P90 module in it just to experience it, but then threw my M31LL in the head, rolled some cardboard around 2 AA's, and fired it up. Works very nicely. I'll run it this way for a little while, but I plan to ultimately run it with a M61LL in it on a 16650 cell + spacer. The M31LL belongs to another light.

--flatline

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Blackhawk X6P and X9P are made in Spain plastic incandescents using P60 size modules. I liked the aluminum X6 so much that I bought 3. Forward clickie tailcap and SF thread compatible.

$20 eBay. $36 Amazon

I got a X6-P off Ebay and it arrived today. The tailcap is definitely not thread compatible with my G2. The X6-P has more threads per inch than the G2. I do, however, like the forward clicky, so if the regular X6 is thread compatible with SF, I may pick one up just to put the tailcap on my 6P.

--flatline

castingseth

Newly Enlightened
I would love a nitrolon light with a decent LED and use an 18650. Perfect size for my pockets, heavy duty, and I have a bad habit of holding a light in my mouth... I truely loved my old G2 except the incand bulb and the batteries. Nitrolon just feels good in your hand.

ChattanoogaPhil

Newly Enlightened
Hey flatline,

Congrats locating a G3. Mine is as you describe other than the tailcap is marked only surefire.com. I purchased the G3 new from MidwayUSA nearly 10 years ago advertised as a "One Time Run". Maybe that accounts for the difference in tailcap markings. Mine came with a 105 lumen Xenon 60min runtime. IIIRC, there was also a 200 lumen Xenon version with a 20min runtime. Whew... that's a lot of CR123s to toss in the garbage every few minutes. I installed a M61LL.

I2Ll1Yd.jpg

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not really a collector, but this thread inspired me to pick up examples of polymer P60 hosts. Here's the collection so far:

Nextorch GT6A
Surefire G2
Surefire G3
Brinkmann Maxfire LX
Blackhawk X6-P

Unless you're looking for a tactical light, the best value by far is the Nextorch GT6A. Anyone looking for a low power beater host should buy 2 or 3 of them since they're solid 18650 hosts with reverse clicky for only $8 each.

I now have more hosts than LED drop-ins, so I'm using some of these with the original incandescent bulbs. I had never really considered how heavy a Malkoff drop-in was compared to a bulb, but the change in weight and balance in these light-weight hosts is super noticeable. I will probably keep a bulb in the X6-P just because it's so light and balances so nicely in the hand with one.

The only polymer host that I know I'm missing is the Blackhawk X9-P, but I'm sure there are others.

--flatline

scout24

Flashaholic
I would love a nitrolon light with a decent LED and use an 18650. Perfect size for my pockets, heavy duty, and I have a bad habit of holding a light in my mouth... I truely loved my old G2 except the incand bulb and the batteries. Nitrolon just feels good in your hand.

I recently bought a Streamlight Polytac X. Tan, black head, 18650 or 2x123 power. So far so good.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was a G3 that I rescued from the trash can at work that actually brought me to this site!!

Surefire sent replacement parts which got it back to original spec.

However it's currently awaiting a Malkoff M61LL and a pair of Keeppower 17500's, it also has a Xeno RG03 bezel and a McClicky switch fitted.

I also have a G2Z, but don't really like it, it sits in a draw without a drop-in!

I do have three different SF Nitrolon tailcaps though.

33159556258_74b9f569de_c.jpg

dateposted-public
dateposted-public

Tall one on left has a McClicky fitted, short one in the middle is from the G2Z and tall on the right is from G3.
album-72157703845158854

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Nextorch GT6A is a nylon bodied P60 host that takes 18650 and has a reverse clicky. It doesn't feel quite the same as your G2, but has some of the same advantages like being grippier than anodized aluminum and not feeling cold in your hand in cold weather. It's a little thicker than the G2 so it might not be quite as pocket-friendly, but it's only $8 and you can fit it with whatever P60 drop-in you prefer as long as the drop-in doesn't produce a ton of heat.

As someone else mentioned above, Streamlight makes the Polytac X which is just like their Polytac except that it takes 18650 cells and has a 2-way clip. I have the Polytac running on a 16650 cell and it's an excellent light so I would expect the Polytac X to also be an excellent light.

If there are other polymer 18650 lights, I'd love to know about them. Most of the polymer lights I know about were made for 2xCR123A and went out of production before 18650 moved beyond hobbyist lights.

--flatline

scout24

Flashaholic
As a somewhat off-topic aside, I decided to test the PolytacX to asess it's potential as a shtf omnivore. I'm running a single Duracell primary 123 with a dummy cell to see how low the voltage cutoff is. So far, 3 hours in, it's still kicking out it's rated low level 35 lumens. So, 18650, 17670, 16650, 1x18350 with dummy cell, 1x16340 with dummy cell, 1x123 same way... I'll run it until it stops. It only likes button top cells, fwiw.

Edit- Almost 10 hours in, it's still better than half of the original low level output on a single 123 primary. :thumbsup:

Edit 2- 21 hours in, and we've stil got 5-6 lumens.

Last edited:

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not really a collector, but this thread inspired me to pick up examples of polymer P60 hosts. Here's the collection so far:

Nextorch GT6A
Surefire G2
Surefire G3
Brinkmann Maxfire LX
Blackhawk X6-P

[...]

The only polymer host that I know I'm missing is the Blackhawk X9-P, but I'm sure there are others.

--flatline

What about the Solarforce P1?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run my G2 with a 16650. A little less capacity, but still more than enough for me. Same thing for my 6p, but I like the Nitrolon better than just aluminum.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't resist getting another couple of G3's.

There is a German company that has them for 29.90 Euro's each (less than $34), they are the incan version with the plastic head.

These things are so easily upgradeable and will run on several different types of batteries, with the correct drop-in of course.

I just need to get some more McClicky switches and start looking for some more M61LL's! :thumbsup: