Not Smoking...

raptechnician

Newly Enlightened

This brand was like $25 for 250 ml.... it will certainly last me all month. I like getting the smaller bottle as opposed to the 500 ml one, so I can refresh my supply more frequently. I don't recommend the capsules because you don't get nearly as much fish oil as in the liquid form, and manufacturers have been known to use crappy quality oil in capsules. Mostly, though you get much more quantity in liquid form and can take a good dose thats actually going to do something. I take it before bed and it makes me feel amazing. It actually tastes good too...hard to believe. Carlson is another good brand.

I also want to mention the collagen supplement that I've been taking that has helped my body and joints from aching alot, plus is beneficial for the skin, and helps my psoriasis by improving absorbtion in the ...large intestine I think.

I should be buying in liquid form but it's alot harder to take than the fish oil.

Last edited:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Normally I'd not chime in as a non-smoker to this thread subject. I applaud those who are making the effort to change their lives. :) What prompted me to read some of this thread was my father who had been diagnosed with COPD. He'd not smoked and he was baffled why he had the COPD, emphysema diagnosis from his doc. We'd accompany him on these visits and the doc constantly asked him if he had smoked...no. When dad came to the point that he required oxygen and was unable to walk no more than 30' without becoming exhausted, he analyzed his past. In his early days working, his co-workers would light up from beginning till end of the shift. He told me the cleaning ladies would make several passes through the office to empty ash trays. He was surrounded for some 20 years until the office became smoke free. In addition as a young kid, his father would bring his buddies over for card games and they would smoke through the night while playing.

When he was discharged from the hospital the medical supply sent over an oxygen concentrator. He's on it 24-7 and when I saw the utility bill from running it, it was shocking. The electricity bill had not been that high. It went from a mild $100 to $300/month. Combined with A/C, the utility bill took a bite into his fixed income. Dad's had a good life and luckily he didn't get cancer. The COPD is pretty nasty and one of the days he was with us running errands, he coughed up a chunk of mucous that was literally a solid sized golf ball. No sooner than he clears that another is developing. Sad to see.

LGT

Enlightened
Sadly, I started smoking again after quitting for a year. Emotional distress after my brother killed himself kicked me back into the habit. No excuse, but I saw people smoking and thought a cigarette would calm my nerves, worst decision I've ever made. Back up to a pack a day. I know I'm killing myself. Hope to come back here real soon posting on the length of time not smoking.

Now here's my rant. Why are these cancer sticks still legal? How can any government allow people to slowly kill themselves. In my state, massachusetts, they keep upping the tax on cigarettes to offset the medical cost of caring for people with cancer due to smoking. Ban cigaretts nation wide and these costs will never come into effect!

James

Last edited:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Big Elf, I hope your health continues to improve and at the very least, your disease stabilizes. My dad was diagnosed with emphysema in his early 60s but I'm sure he had the disease for quite some time before that. He choose to continue to smoke and it was a hellacious, spiraling journey of continued health depreciation for the last dozen years or so of his life. In that roughly time period, he went from a man that could perform hard, physical labor and even still beat me in a strength contest, to a point where he couldn't get out of a chair and walk to the kitchen without being severely out of breath. It was merciful that he died of a heart attack before we had to have him committed to probably a nursing home of some sort. Within the same time period, my mom also died of lung cancer.

I gave up in November 2012 after smoking for 42 years. I smoked a pipe for probably 30-35 years of that and calculated I was smoking the equivalent of around 60 a day. When I smoked cigarettes I was smoking 60 a day at 18.

I was sort of 'incentivised' to stop after suddenly finding myself struggling to breathe following a bout of bronchitis and ending up in hospital. I've been diagnosed with emphysema or Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) as it's now known which is alleviated by inhalers.

I'd already been thinking about trying e-cigs to help me stop but found it relatively easy and used nicotine patches for around 6 weeks to help. I'd lost my job a few years earlier due to ill health so it was probably easier to stop than it would have been had I still been working. I was still coughing up the 'sludge' until quite recently but it finally seems to have stopped and although my lungs have improved slightly I still need medication on a daily basis and poor air quality can set me back.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My idea would be to make them a controlled substance only available by prescription. If you are a diagnosed addict then you can still get your cigarette prescription filled but they would not be available to the general public. Maybe it would decrease the number of people choosing to start smoking cigarettes for the first time? I realize it's probably a naive thought. Are cigarettes actually banned in any countries with a larger population?

Now here's my rant. Why are these cancer sticks still legal? How can any government allow people to slowly kill themselves. In my state, massachusetts, they keep upping the tax on cigarettes to offset the medical cost of caring for people with cancer due to smoking. Ban cigaretts nation wide and these costs will never come into effect!

James

In my state, massachusetts, they keep upping the tax on cigarettes to offset the medical cost of caring for people with cancer due to smoking. Ban cigaretts nation wide and these costs will never come into effect!

James

James,

Reading your last sentence one should consider cocaine, heroin, cannabis, etc, etc, Ad Nauseum Ad Infinitum. History has proven making something illegal doesn't make it impossible, or even difficult, to obtain. Only more expensive.

~ Chance

Peace Train

Enlightened
The irony is that it was the cigarette and tobacco industry who lobbied hardest against marijuana becoming legal back in 1970 due to an impending threat in sales. Ironic, since cannabis has been revealing its effectiveness in the treatment and prevention of cancer whereas cigarettes prove just the opposite. Whether taxes are imposed to help offset costs or more stringent measures are enacted, marketing (in terms of association and education) tend to curb behavior more rapidly with more lasting results.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been four days for me. was interested to read this thread.

Top man just past the 3 year mark myself and i do so much more with the cash i do not spend on ciggies,buy watches and pens when i fancy a new one,bought a wheel for my ps a year ago not opened it yet,bought 3 guns in 2014 and still in the box,s and never touched,bought myself a nice 125cc Honda for messing with,all this because i gave up the cigs.

It is not easy but once you past the first real hurdle of a week and then a month you have a real good chance of being a non smoker for ever,you soon realise that smokers stink and you keep away from them,i often refuse to be served in shops by smokers and embarrass them on purpose just because i can.

puffiungmad

Newly Enlightened
After 30 years of smoking and many failed attempts at going cold turkey 14 months ago I got a smoking councilor and went onto the nicotine lozenges they worked for me but it took another 12 months to quit the lozengers

Now I am 2 months without Lozenges and 14 months without a cigarette

As you get older it gets harder BUT you can do it if you rely want to !

It dose not matter what way you go about it as what works for one my not work for the next person

I take my hat off to anyone that tries to leave this evil habit behind

If i can do it then so can you! its worth it in the end

harro

Enlightened
Good job. I've never been a smoker, but my wife smoked very early on. When we first met about 32 years ago, she was a smoker, then she said one day, ' I'm giving these things up ' ( smokes [ or MAYBE she said blokes, I cant remember that far back ] ). Maybe it was the abhorrent shock of meeting me that did it, but she stopped cold turkey, and hasn't had one since. Right to this day, she will get a fleeting craving for a smoke, but the craving disappears as quickly as it happens, ie, a second or two.
Keep it up, I'm sure it will be of great benefit to you.

As a footnote, and with apologies to the OP and forum for getting off track here, the local city council where I live, has just banned cigarette smoking in council owned, outdoor areas within the CBD. This opens up a whole can of worms, in as far as how do you police this piece of local legislation ? How do you prove that someone was indeed smoking in a banned area ? Does this impinge on someones right to smoke ( no matter how foul to the rest of society ) ? Whilst I hate secondhand ciggy smoke as much as the next person, I can always move away from the area ( with appropriate facial expressions ).

:goodjob:

BarryG

Enlightened
My wife had smoked for over 20 years and tried to quit several times. She went back to school and got a degree and quit cold turkey to help with getting a job as some employers have a "no tobacco" policy. She has now went smoke free for 73 days and no plans to start back! We are all proud of her for quitting! She is also very proud because she had tried so many times and failed but has now succeeded.

Barry

LGT

Enlightened
I smoked for 30 years and knew well from the very beginning that this might/will cause cancer and many other health problems, even the worst imaginable stupid knows that, and i would never have had the idea blaming anyone else than me for smoking because i am the only one who is responsible for me to smoke or not.

Your government is not even able to ban things that kill you fast, how / why should they ban cigs that kill you slowly ? Making good money with the tobacco tax and VAT by the way.

Grab your own nose and don´t blame others or the government for your problems.

Cheers

RBR
I'm not blaming Uncle Sam for my smoking habit. I fully realize that my choice to smoke or not begins and ends with me.

My rant really wasn't to lay blame on anybody as to why I smoke.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL - if you managed to go without smoking for a few days in a row after your last smoke, you can do that for the rest of your life. Congratulations! :thumbsup:

Full Power

Newly Enlightened
I couldn't give a number of the times I've tried to kick the habit...long story short; don't give up tryin' on stopping the cigs ~ I think it was 25+ yrs of the habit, and now 20+ yrs of not smoking.! It can be done, if one really wants it.

Cheers,
Full Power

Sent from a BlueLight using Candlepowerforums

LGT

Enlightened
Seven days smoke free. Got to start somewhere. The first few days the urge was nasty. Seems to have become not as strong, but oh boy, it's still there. It's been about 20 years since I've tried kicking the habit. Hopefully, twenty years from now, I'll be citing the day that I quit.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
It can be done, if one really wants it.

Cheers,
Full Power

Sent from a BlueLight using Candlepowerforums

could not agree more, it is all about how much you want it.

i'm smoke free for 6 years now.

Last edited:

Latest posts