Ok, so you hear breaking glass in the middle of the night, what light do you go for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, so you hear breaking glass in the middle of the night, what light do you ...

One of my Quark Pro XMLs. I'd use ~4 lms for room clearing and its momentary-max-from-ON "function" to blast 300/700 lms (low/high voltage heads) if encountering a threat. My HDS's MMFO function would be another option, but more prone to error.

I know a SHO, momentary-only is tactically the best, but I just feel like I'll blind myself silly trying to clear rooms in a white-walled home - I'd rather just flip light switches on at that point.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Ok, so you hear breaking glass in the middle of the night, what light do you ...

the one on the mossberg.
xm-l2 dd with a 1300 mah 40a tool cell.6a to the led.directly soldered to a copper slug.
mostly for target id.
i dont need a light to see in my place as it has low level led nightlights.
and i am very familiar with the place.an intruder will not be.and if he/she/it survives the ordeal they will probably believe in bigfoot afterwards.
in most cases turning on a flashlight to investigate a possible intruder is the worst thing one can do.you just screwed up your dark adapted eyes and gave away your position.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Ok, so you hear breaking glass in the middle of the night, what light do you ...

Usually a Surefire Vintage E2D or E2E with a Lumens Factory HO indy bulb. Plenty of pleasant lumens for my little house. So you say, what the heck Str8 why not a eye burning LED? That's mounted on the front of my 870 Express. Then there is the pre flash from the Hornady Critical Defense 2-3/4" OO buck shot! Pump & :poof: :xyxgun:

Dex Robinson

Newly Enlightened
I keep my Thrunite T30S V2 on the nightstand because it is easily operated with my left hand while leaving my dominant right hand to hold a spear point machete (I'm in Canada where the courts view self defense with a gun as a crime worse than murder). The T30 has a tail cap clicky and prominent mode switch on the side of the tail cap. When you hold it, the thumb falls on the tail switch and the mode switch falls naturally under the index finger so it makes for easy operation with either hand in the dark. Compare that to my PD35 which has a forward positioned mode switch which is not easy to find in the dark and a bit awkward to operate in my left hand. Also, the T30 has a large strike bezel for secondary use.

Of course, I'm not unrealistic about confronting an armed intruder in the dark. However, in my neighbourhood, I'm much more likley to encounter a drunk looking for something to pawn for a 12 pack.

lytumup

Newly Enlightened

For me it would be the Fenix TK-22. Plenty bright, momentary light, crenulated bezel, and has been rock solid dependable. I have trained to use a flashlight in my off hand when I went through police academy. As for the concern of "giving away" your position with a light, while its a valid point, is minimized in using the light in your off hand.

Minimoog

Enlightened
In the UK we must treat intruders politely and not cause them any lasting harm. So for me it would be the old Eveready incandescent so as not to hurt their eyes with 3000 lumens of Cree's finest.

1DaveN

Enlightened
In the UK we must treat intruders politely and not cause them any lasting harm. So for me it would be the old Eveready incandescent so as not to hurt their eyes with 3000 lumens of Cree's finest.

That's interesting. I always said (and still believe) that I would never want to do harm to someone over property. My major concern is that if someone breaks into my house when I'm home, that person probably intends me harm, or is at least unconcerned with the idea that there might be a confrontation. Here in the US, once someone breaks into my home, I don't really have to fear legal consequences from my response. I still don't want shoot someone to defend a TV, but I also feel like I have to vigorously defend myself against someone who broke into an obviously occupied house. Mostly, I hope it never happens.

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
When a home invader is in your house, you're not going to stalk him and surprise him. He knows you're there.

I want every single lumen I can get my hands on pointing straight at his face.

First light I reach for is my 6P with M61 so as not to worry with UI modes. Click, all the lumens come out the front. The Inforce APL does the rest. There will not be much time, I can assure you.

Target identification is very important. You don't want to be the next Oscar Pistorius.

mobilerd

Newly Enlightened
No light needed my night vision is at its optimum upon waking. I pick up my 870 Marine Magnum and Lord help anyone who enters my domain.

BillSWPA

Enlightened

the one on the mossberg.
xm-l2 dd with a 1300 mah 40a tool cell.6a to the led.directly soldered to a copper slug.
mostly for target id.
i dont need a light to see in my place as it has low level led nightlights.
and i am very familiar with the place.an intruder will not be.and if he/she/it survives the ordeal they will probably believe in bigfoot afterwards.
in most cases turning on a flashlight to investigate a possible intruder is the worst thing one can do.you just screwed up your dark adapted eyes and gave away your position.

Today I helped teach a pistol class at my range. One of the other instructors told the class about a local sheriff's deputy who thought he had properly ID'ed the person who opened his garage door at 5:45 am as he was getting ready to leave for work. The next thing he heard after shooting was "Daddy, it hurts" from his 16 year old daughter who was sneaking back into the house. He wrecked his car while trying to take her to the hospital, and they were both life flighted to the hospital. Both survived, but he lost his job.

Think he wishes he had used a flashlight first?

Xaios

Newly Enlightened

Given that assault with a weapon is extremely illegal in Canada, even for self defense and, yes, even for neutralizing an intruder in your home, the first light I would grab would be the camera light on the back of my cell phone, which I would use to call 911. I would then grab my PD35. I would cup the light end in my palm, turn it on and turn it to max brightness. I would the start searching. I figure that I wouldn't need a light, given that I know the layout of my place, whereas any home invader would, so they would give themselves away. If I found them, I would un-palm the end of the light right in their face, giving them the full blast of lumens, while also activating the strobe. If possible, I would relieve them of any of my belongings which they may have come into possession of, but only if the opportunity presented itself with no real risk to me.

Last edited:

maglite mike

Enlightened

I have plenty of fire power and flashlights but my go to flashlight for this situation is a maglite ml 300 LX set to the momentary on, high, strobe setting. Light is Damn bright and is " the perfect size " for the task at hand.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Given that assault with a weapon is extremely illegal in Canada, even for self defense ...........

Even if it's a hockey stick? :poke:

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast

lol, just joking. Go Rangers.

Kidding aside, confronting someone who enters your home is risky on many levels and the best course of action may be holding off in a secure part of the home and awaiting police. Choosing to actively seek the intruder could put you into such close proximity in the confines of a home that you may be in lunging distance to the perp simply turning a corner or entering a room, not ideal by any means, especially if your armed. Getting closer to the danger is generally not a good idea, having space and time between you and the threat enables you to react better and maintain control. Of course circumstances are always different from scenario to scenario so action taken is a personal choice.

Greg G

Enlightened

"What light do you go for?"

The Xtar WK42 that's mounted on my Sig P227. In my other hand is my Surefire Lumamax modded with a Cree MTG-2 @ 4 amps.

InspectHerGadget

Enlightened

I'd go for my Samsung Note 5 and call the police. Pick up my 4D Cell Maglight and wait for the cops. Backup plan would be smashing Maglight into head of intruder. We also have surveillance cameras so can track them on iPad or phone.

Dex Robinson

Newly Enlightened

Kidding aside, confronting someone who enters your home is risky on many levels and the best course of action may be holding off in a secure part of the home and awaiting police. ... having space and time between you and the threat enables you to react better and maintain control.

I envy people who live in large houses but I live in a standard, 1955 tract house bungalow. At it's largest dimension, my house is 34' wide. The distance from my corner bedroom to the front door is about 22ft...same distance to the back door. If anybody breaks into my house chances are that they will be at my bedroom door within 15 seconds. Even if they aren't specifcally looking for me, the house has one hallway that all foot traffic must use and the bedrooms are on that hallway. There is no "secure" part of the home. Even if I want to flee, I must use that one hallway that would surely put me face-to-face with the intruder (and, no, I'm not going to jump through my sealed, triple-pane arctic windows...I'd be cut to ribbons.)

I actually do keep a small arsenal of knives, machetes and flashlights at my bedside. I don't live in a bad neighbourhood...but if somedody does break in, it's almost inevitable that we will confront each other within seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.