Post Your Rotary Settings

scout24

Flashaholic
For the longest time, I had all four presets set to ramping mode. Foolproof. Even for me. Eventually, I did change preset D to level 24, leaving the other three ramping. Set up with press-and-hold for momentary max, I'm good to go. :) Still love the bomb proofedness of the Clicky, though.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
about the HDS clicky

dont feel left out, even though your Preset B can not be set to Rotary Dial Position

all the other settings, presets, and option menus, can be configured the same for a Clicky and a Rotary

maybe just post your Clicky settings here, I can overlook that you dont have a Rotary Dial Position on Preset B ;-)

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the longest time, I had all four presets set to ramping mode. Foolproof. Even for me. Eventually, I did change preset D to level 24, leaving the other three ramping. Set up with press-and-hold for momentary max, I'm good to go. :) Still love the bomb proofedness of the Clicky, though.
Well I've learnt something today. I had no idea that all the presets could be set to rotary.
P

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe they changed the default as shipped to that, to keep people from getting confused when they got off preset B. I think it is still that way. But I think using preset A for momentary max is a good plan, though, like scout did.

Mine is set up like my Clickies, pretty stock, just a bit lower on preset C and D. And of course preset B is the rotary. And momentary is on, and I actually still turn off the force preset on the Rotary, so I can come back to one of the other three presets if I want - not that I do very often.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
https://www.hdssystems.com/Products/EdcRotaryAdvUsersGuide.pdf
That manual says this is the Rotary default for FW 2.18 (2018)
*Preset C, and D became Rotary instead of Slow Strobe and Fast Strobe

Preset A: Maximum
Preset B: brightness level selected by rotary control
*Preset C: brightness level selected by rotary control
*Preset D: brightness level selected by rotary control 

(The Options Defaults did not change)
Turn On Preset = ON for Preset B
Automatic Turn Off = OFF
Button Lockout = OFF
Locator Flash = OFF
Pseudo Momentary = OFF
True Momentary = OFF
Burst = On
Menus = On

=======
I believe this WAS the Factory Default Rotary before 2018 FW 2.18
Preset A: Maximum
Preset B: brightness level selected by rotary control
Preset C: Slow Strobe (Bicycle Flasher)
Preset D: Fast Strobe (Tactical Strobe)

Turn On Preset = ON for Preset B
Automatic Turn Off = OFF
Button Lockout = OFF
Locator Flash = OFF
Pseudo Momentary = OFF
True Momentary = OFF
Burst = On
Menus = On

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe they changed the default as shipped to that, to keep people from getting confused when they got off preset B.

I can see why they made that change. When my father got his 3 o'clock rotary this past summer, I tried hard to explain that there are four presets and many options, of which the rotary is only one. He never quite got it, even though he's one of the more technically inclined people I know. He's quite content to switch it on and turn the dial.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is exactly why we changed it... we decided at SHOT when people would come by the booth and pick up a light and click it like they were trying to make it orgasm or like it was the controller for some video game. It was at that point, we realized that we had to make it as simple as possible out of the box. Those who have the desire to change the settings can still go in and change them, but for the novice, it is just easier to keep the presets as the Rotary function.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
...people would come by the booth and pick up a light and click it like they were trying to make it orgasm...

I believe the HDS blinks five times then goes into locator flash after it has an orgasm...

:sssh:

But yes, most people don't want to learn how to use their flashlight. I was previously in that crowd, which is surprising considering how well I've taken to HDS programming.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've taken to HDS programming.

me too.. :)
some people like command line interface, aka MS-DOS, some prefer Mac (and WinDoze)
HDS clicky is like MS-DOS, the Rotary is like a Mac, the UI "for the rest of us"

What ARE your (NotRotary) settings?:)

(maybe we should try to continue responding to the Original Topic of this thread)

Last edited:

Johnnyh

Enlightened
It is exactly why we changed it... we decided at SHOT when people would come by the booth and pick up a light and click it like they were trying to make it orgasm or like it was the controller for some video game.

LOL! This is exactly what I did when I got my first used Rotary.
Knowing nothing, I apparently double or triple clicked it and (lo and behold) the rotary function was gone...turned the tail...no level change...WTF? It's broken! I cursed out that no-good shyster for selling me his defective light...then I cursed out HDS for building a light that could go defective in the first place...then I cursed out all makers of everything for building defective stuff...then my lovely spouse said:

"Does it have instructions.....?"

Then I read the instructions...[emoji28]

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Lol 😂 every and all HDS lights take some getting used to before it becomes second nature. My 3 year old learned all by herself to use my legacy U60 so well she can triple click it to go to lowest setting and double click it press for maximum. That was a proud day for me my friends 😂😂😂

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL! This is exactly what I did when I got my first used Rotary.
Knowing nothing, I apparently double or triple clicked it and (lo and behold) the rotary function was gone...turned the tail...no level change...WTF? It's broken! I cursed out that no-good shyster for selling me his defective light...then I cursed out HDS for building a light that could go defective in the first place...then I cursed out all makers of everything for building defective stuff...then my lovely spouse said:

"Does it have instructions.....?"

Then I read the instructions...[emoji28]
I did something similar on my first time trying to program, really screwed it up and had to do a factory reset, read the advanced manual, and ask questions in the main thread. I initially thought i really messed it up.
I have a couple programmed now, kept some stock (before the new factory programming)
One day i will get the motivation to mess around with some of them, currently always too busy working, testing other lights, playing stupid games on the phone, spending time with the family...here on the forum, etc. So the last thing on my mind is programming an HDS. Luckily I have rotaries so I can just use the rotary function and all is good.
Lol  every and all HDS lights take some getting used to before it becomes second nature. My 3 year old learned all by herself to use my legacy U60 so well she can triple click it to go to lowest setting and double click it press for maximum. That was a proud day for me my friends 
My 3yr old daughter has her moms hands, so she hasn't quite got enough finger strength to make a good solid click yet. She usually doesn't get to play with the HDS lights. The other night when I brought them all out to play with and list a few on the market; 3yr old daughter and 5yr old son wanted to run around the house playing with them.

Of course they want to shine them in everyone's eyes...so I had to turn down the brightness. HDS Rotary is my 5yr old's favorite light....he must have daddy's taste. My 15yr old doesn't care about anything but video games and his phone. other kids are grown up and live out of state. Have a Granddaughter from ea of my 2 oldest boys.

Anyway, must have been a great moment for you..kids are great while they are little...amazing little creatures that bring a lot of different emotions, enjoyment, etc to our lives....then they get to be older

Dvmx89

Newly Enlightened
Just recently bought my first rotary. (And now i want more :whistle:)
First time i tried programming i had the same problem as Johnnyh mentioned. :laughing:
Did a hard reset and used it on the factory settings for a while.

Tried some programming again tonight,and got used to it pretty quick.
Really regret not buying hds lights years sooner now.

fyrstormer

Banned
I believe the HDS blinks five times then goes into locator flash after it has an orgasm...

:sssh:

But yes, most people don't want to learn how to use their flashlight. I was previously in that crowd, which is surprising considering how well I've taken to HDS programming.
That's a pretty narrow-minded view of "most people". Speaking as the official representative of "most people" ;), the actual explanation is that we don't expect something like a flashlight to be particularly complicated. When "most people" press the power switch, they expect light to come out of the end with the glass lense on it; that's the limit of their expectations, and thus also the limit of their thoughts on the matter.

For my part, I certainly appreciate (and use!) multiple brightness settings, but the HDS Clicky "morse code" UI is more complicated than necessary. Most multi-mode lights have a multi-tap interface that cycles through brightness settings in one direction, and that works fine. Some (vastly inferior) lights use the same programming in combination with a twisty switch, to implement a multi-twist UI that wears out the threads, but that is a rant for another thread. The "morse code" UI does allow direct access to a specific brightness setting without having to cycle through all the others and potentially blind yourself in the process, but there are more intuitive ways to implement that functionality. (by "intuitive" I mean "people who haven't been practicing with a specific brand of flashlight for the past decade can still figure it out without needing to RTFM".)

A rotary dial is a much more intuitive way to allow direct mode access, and HDS was smart to offer a Rotary model. A rotary dial also eliminates any need for last-mode memory, because the dial "remembers" the last mode by virtue of its physical position. A rotary dial also eliminates any need for a power-draining soft-switch to allow pre-selecting the brightness setting before the light turns on, because you can turn the rotary dial to pre-select the brightness setting even if the light has a mechanical switch that physically breaks the power circuit. Much to my irritation, Jetbeam/Niteye/Nitecore have essentially abandoned the same rotary-dial interface they helped popularize, perhaps because it required a "tactically incorrect" underhand hold to easily adjust the ring; I have to give credit to HDS' rotary-tail design because the brightness can be adjusted without having to shift the light out of a "tactical" overhand hold first.

I like my HDS Rotary and I plan to keep it, but I also recognize that its evolution from the Clicky brought with it some vestigial design choices that are now obsolete, as is the case with all evolved things. The soft-switch and the "morse-code" UI are relics of the Clicky, and I suspect "most people" ;) who like those features would be happier with a Clicky rather than a Rotary to begin with.

- - -

...aaaaand another thing: I fixed the problem of the HDS Rotary not coming with a pocket clip:

gShaA8u.jpg

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
I think you've managed to post in the wrong thread.
The thread discussing the relative merits of the the two interfaces is here...
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...6-HDS-Systems-Poll-Team-Clicky-or-Team-Rotary

This thread discusses your Rotary Settings.

P
Indeed. I guess it's a good thing I wasn't the person who took the thread off-topic in the first place. You can thank Modernflame and our Fearless Leader Archimedes for that. ;)

Anyway, my rotary settings are factory-stock, and they work fine that way. :) I've read the instructions for changing them and I can't think of any reason to actually do so.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read the instructions for changing them and I can't think of any reason to actually do so.

Congrats on your new Rotary, and major respect for your pocket clip solution! Youre a brave man to tap new holes..

atm your factory config has no access to Blinkies.. I suggest you program the triple click for Fast Strobe (it was Factory Default on previous versions)..

ime, its nice to have a Strobe option, as a pedestrian crossing the street in high traffic areas. After dark, I shine the strobe on my legs, not at the driver. During the day, I do wave it at oncoming traffic, to get their attention without blinding them..

Last edited: