Post Your Rotary Settings

fyrstormer

Banned
Yeah, there's nothing like drilling and tapping a brand-new Very Expensive Thing to make you question your sanity. Fortunately it turned out well.

- - -

In 10 years of owning high-end flashlights, I've never used a strobe mode for anything at all. If I want to get someone's attention, I just turn the light on and wiggle it side-to-side. Even seeing the backscatter from a strobe in my peripheral vision is unpleasant.

For your purposes, crossing crosswalks at night, I'd recommend doing the same thing I do. Strobes are highly disorienting at night (hence their popularity for "self defense"), even if they aren't pointed in the driver's face. A disoriented driver is a dangerous driver, because unlike a disoriented pedestrian, a car doesn't stop moving just because its driver is disoriented. (insert rant about blinding police strobes here)

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I absolutely agree with this. Strobe is useless unless both your arms are broken. The noise level at my work hovers at 90-100 decibels and I use my light all the time to get my guys attention. Waving it back and forth works better then the strobe.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mentioned setting strobe to Preset D because it is related to the topic of Rotary Settings.

Did not mean to create a hijack about the pros and cons of strobe use..
if anybody cares about staying on topic... maybe start a new thread about strobes ;-)

fyrstormer

Banned
I think we can safely discuss topics which are immediately tangential to the original topic as long as they don't overwhelm the original topic. My original complaint about going off-topic was related to people posting in this thread to say they didn't like the topic, which seems...petty.

Anyway, it seems like HDS has done a pretty good job of setting up the Rotary's stock configuration. I infer from the low number of strictly-on-topic posts in this thread that most HDS Rotary owners are content with using the stock configuration.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS Rotary owners are content with using the stock configuration.

yes, new HDS buyers are content with the new Factory Presets
but
there is more than one "Stock" Rotary configuration

the 2018 config is
Preset A Max
Preset B Rotary
Preset C Rotary
Preset D Rotary
Options:
Turn On Preset = On B, Rotary
Automatic Turn Off = Off
Button Lockout = Off
Locator Flash = Off
Pseudo Momentary = Off
True Momentary = Off
Burst = On
Menus = On

Prior to 2018 the Stock Rotary configuration is
Preset A Max
Preset B Rotary
Preset C Slow Strobe (bike flasher)
Preset D Fast Strobe (disorienting Tactical Strobe)
Options:
Turn On Preset = On B, Rotary
Automatic Turn Off = Off
Button Lockout = Off
Locator Flash = Off
Pseudo Momentary = Off
True Momentary = Off
Burst = On
Menus = On

basically all HDS Rotaries prior to 2018 have blinky presets, and ALL HDS Rotaries turn on at Rotary function..

I always set my Rotary functions to this:

A = Level 24 (max 200 lm)
B = Rotary (turn on)
C = Pulsating Strope
D = Tactical Strobe

Turn On Preset = Off
Automatic Turn Off = On
Button Lockout = On
Locator Flash = Off
Pseudo Momentary = On
True Momentary = On
Burst = On
Menus = On

As you can see from Hogos post, he uses the Pre-2018 Factory Preset Defaults, although not the default Options.

I think Rotary newbies do stick with the Factory presets, for a while. Advanced users tend to customize their Options, and Presets..

I think this thread has the potential to reveal many subtle differences in Programming options, but many advanced users dont bother sharing their presets. It is to be expected that newbies will start off getting used to their new Rotary by keeping the Factory defaults, until they become more familiar with their light ;-)

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
One advantage of carrying two HDS lights is that you get, in effect, eight presets. It may seem like redundancy, or even over kill, but I always have two with me and I think of them as one flashlight system. For example, I personally don't have a lot of use for blinky modes, but having "eight" presets allows me to have one ready without sacrificing another option. When I had my rotary, I used its D setting for the pulsating strobe.

Two are one, right?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
"I think this thread has the potential to reveal many subtle differences in Programming options, but many advanced users dont bother sharing their presets. It is to be expected that newbies will start off getting used to their new Rotary by keeping the Factory defaults, until they become more familiar with their light ;-)"

The only one that can set up your light is you.its pretty simple to set each preset to the desired output. But that can only be done by you.im not sure why seeing how someone else has there's set up can help you with your personal light.just think how where you plan on using it and adjust to whatever level is right for you.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ that's why I just leave mine in programming mode and go on the fly. Whatever I need at the time is right there for me.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your Friendly Hijack Detection Officer wants you to know:
this thread asks for your Rotary settings.. that is not just the 4 presets..
I respect everyone has different preferences
If you dont have a Rotary, I think it would still be good to share your Clicky settings.. again, not just the 4 Presets

Henry has designed an interface that is extremely versatile, and he configures his lights for various different application priorities, including Tactical, Bicycle, EDC.. etc, with and without blinkies, with and without Momentary, etc

use this template if you want to make a contribution that is on topic.. or at least, try to make part of your post On Topic
Post Police over and out.. ;-)

Post your settings! Here's mine:

A = Level 24 (max 300 lm)
B = Rotary (turn on)
C = Level 7
D = Tactical Strobe

Turn On Preset = Off
Automatic Turn Off = On
Button Lockout = On
Locator Flash = On
Pseudo Momentary = On
True Momentary = Off
Burst = On
Menus = On

broonzbane

I also change my brightness presets and other options, depending on my whim at the time.. here is the setup for my latest Novatac, a Gold Storm w N219b 4500k 9080

A = Level 24 (max 300 lm)
B = Minimum (as if a Rotary was set to minimum)
C = 20 lumens
D = Tactical Strobe

Turn On Preset = Off
Automatic Turn Off = On
Button Lockout = Off
Locator Flash = Off
Pseudo Momentary = Off
True Momentary = Off
Burst = n/a
Menus = On

my reasoning: (changes based on time of day)
triple click strobe for crossing the street
minimum for nightstand duty
20 lumens for most of my EDC needs, with the option to use Maximum at the press of a button
shut off timer so I can go to sleep with the light on
Force Preset off so I can memorize Preset C during the day, and Preset B at bedtime

Last edited:

SleepyInTheSun

Newly Enlightened
Attempting to follow instructions because I didn't all day at work...

B = rotary, which I typically return to near minimum
C = Varies between 17-20, currently 18.
D = Tactical Strobe (I think. Never used. Might if I could make it candle mode.)

Turn On Preset = Off
Automatic Turn Off = On
Button Lockout = Off
Locator Flash = On
Pseudo Momentary = On
True Momentary = Off

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
44540147-1959516377468446-8321045501554196480-n.jpg

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received a 2011 Rotary 200 xpg cool white

Did the 20 click to enable customization and left it ON

My Customization Results:
A Maximum
B Rotary
C 19 lumens
D Fast Strobe

Turn On Preset = ON for Preset B
Automatic Turn Off = OFF
Button Lockout = OFF
Locator Flash = OFF
Pseudo Momentary = OFF
True Momentary = OFF
Burst = On
Menus = On

indigon

Enlightened
Attempting to follow instructions because I didn't all day at work...

B = rotary, which I typically return to near minimum
C = Varies between 17-20, currently 18.
D = Tactical Strobe

I use these settings on my rotaries also..

Almost indestructible in this configuration:

zQfEmZV.jpg

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
You should add a few layers of bubble wrap just to be safe. :nana: Are you really afraid one of the most nuke-proof lights on the market will break even though you haven't managed to scratch the anodizing yet, or do you just really like accessorizing?

- - -

Back on topic, I've been using my Rotary for over a month now with the stock settings and they've been perfect. I'd prefer a slightly-less-exponential curve in the rotary dial settings, but it's nothing I can't live with.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using my Rotary for over a month now with the stock settings and they've been perfect.

which stock settings? B, C and D all on Rotary is the latest iteration.
I dont know what version your light is, the stock settings have changed over time.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought mine new from HDS a month ago, so I'm using the latest and greatest stick settings.

cool, enjoy your Pure Rotary UI!

your experience is a testament to how effective the Rotary interface is, all on its own

fwiw, there are 2 more customizable settings available
Preset C: double click and
Preset D: triple click

I especially encourage you to explore customizing Preset C to 20 or 30 lumens.. Because double click will also toggle between your Rotary setting, Preset B, and Preset C.

This is part of the brilliance of HDS.. with a simple double click, we can cycle a close range lower mode, and a longer range medium mode. I find this toggle pair option, very useful, in addition to the Pure Rotary UI..

indigon

Enlightened
You should add a few layers of bubble wrap just to be safe. :nana: Are you really afraid one of the most nuke-proof lights on the market will break even though you haven't managed to scratch the anodizing yet, or do you just really like accessorizing?

Thanks for your concerns grasshopper, appreciate it.

I'm not worried about the light.

I do worry when the light goes adrift in a transport, cockpit etc. which happens often. They can and will do damage to whatever they bang into. As an added bonus the doubled vinyl rubber caps are super comfortable in my linebacker-sized hands and I always know which end is up when I need it in a hurry, which is most of the time..

cool, enjoy your Pure Rotary UI!

your experience is a testament to how effective the Rotary interface is, all on its own

fwiw, there are 2 more customizable settings available
Preset C: double click and
Preset D: triple click

I especially encourage you to explore customizing Preset C to 20 or 30 lumens.. Because double click will also toggle between your Rotary setting, Preset B, and Preset C.

This is part of the brilliance of HDS.. with a simple double click, we can cycle a close range lower mode, and a longer range medium mode. I find this toggle pair option, very useful, in addition to the Pure Rotary UI..

:thumbsup:

Hope everyone had a good Turkey day!

My settings:

A Maximum

B Rotary
C 19 lumens
D Fast Strobe

(Novatac caps + Streamlight 1L/2L clip)

whdLjFH.jpg

Last edited: