Protected 16340s for M6 MB20

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
One shop in Japan sold 2 x 18650 battery magazine for M6 before, but it's already sold out. Even if it is restocked, 2 x 18650 would be less useful than 3 x 16650 in M6. I may have to stick to MB20.

I do like the 3 battery configuration. 12 volt bulbs are a bit more efficient as well.

ebuchner

Newly Enlightened
I've emailed Lumens Factory to try to find out. It sounds like they're swamped with a large order until the 30th of this month so it may be two weeks or so before they get back to me. I'm cultivating the naive hope that it's current draw will fall within the continuous discharge range of ≤4 amps that we've established is now potentially viable with the new generation of Nitecore protected cells in an MB20.

There's also some voltage drop across a protection circuit that would make them drive a lamp at a lower voltage and hence a lower current at the cost of a sliver of output.

I'm also checking in with batteryspace.com to see if *anybody* still makes an IMR/high current 16340 or if it has been left behind by the industry.

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to this, which was lifted straight from mark at the time, is 3A. Since there's two stacks of 3s, that's 1.5A per cell

As for the voltage drop due to the protection circuit, even with almost dead cells, the current hardly drops. I just tested an mn03 with cells that wouldn't fire the main lamp of an A2, and it was the 0.08A less than fresh cells

Last edited:

ebuchner

Newly Enlightened
According to this, which was lifted straight from mark at the time, is 3A. Since there's two stacks of 3s, that's 1.5A per cell
Oh, wow that's even better news than I expected, thanks for pulling that up! That would've exceeded a 2C rate limit per cell for any protected 550 to 650 mAh cell that was available back in the day when the IMR series was originally designed. Maybe it won't be a problem with the newer generation of higher capacity protected cells.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, wow that's even better news than I expected, thanks for pulling that up! That would've exceeded a 2C rate limit per cell for any protected 550 to 650 mAh cell that was available back in the day when the IMR series was originally designed. Maybe it won't be a problem with the newer generation of higher capacity protected cells.
Yeah, we have to remember that the cells that we have available now were not available back then. The only issue I could see is that the lamp might not be driven quite as well as it could be. I'm sure it's completely safe on some newer cells, but they may not have the voltage under load of the old AW IMR cells did. And might be a bit dimmer/less white

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm also checking in with batteryspace.com to see if *anybody* still makes an IMR/high current 16340 or if it has been left behind by the industry.
This may or may not be of interest, but I've been using a batch of these (Nitecore NL166) for a good while, and they're doing OK and tested well when new. My main interest was satisfying the current requirements of an Elzetta Alpha Gen 3 @ max output, while also being short enough for an ET D25C. They're very short protected cells rated @4A (presumed cont rating). They're only rated @650 mAh, but exceeded that when tested w/MC3000 @ 1A to 2.8V. The bad news is that they've been discontinued, having been replaced by NL169 rated @ 950 mAh, but at lower current rating:

The 'good news' is that they're apparently still available if you want to try them, as I see this place still lists them and doesn't state otherwise:

Last edited:

ChipDale

Newly Enlightened
I've emailed Lumens Factory to try to find out. It sounds like they're swamped with a large order until the 30th of this month so it may be two weeks or so before they get back to me. I'm cultivating the naive hope that it's current draw will fall within the continuous discharge range of ≤4 amps that we've established is now potentially viable with the new generation of Nitecore protected cells in an MB20.

There's also some voltage drop across a protection circuit that would make them drive a lamp at a lower voltage and hence a lower current at the cost of a sliver of output.

I'm interested in Keeppower RCR123AR which bears 5A current, and the seller in Japan said they will stock them in this month.

If I can get it, I will test it with Lumens Factory's IMR bulbs.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested in Keeppower RCR123AR which bears 5A current, and the seller in Japan said they will stock them in this month.

If I can get it, I will test it with Lumens Factory's IMR bulbs.
That would be good. The only problem is whether they will be the right size or not.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be good. The only problem is whether they will be the right size or not.
Yea, I hate how so many cells are made out of spec these days just to squeeze a few more amp hours in. Well that's not cool if it doesn't work in your light.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 x 26650 M6 is tempting... To go for 2 x 26650 M6 or to go for Convoy L7 SBT90.2, that is the question.
lol. The 26650 adapter looks nice. I've considered it. But it lengthens the M6 a bit and changes the look. I'd rather get a 2x18650 battery holder. The convoy L7 is a ridiculous light. By far the best sbt-90 light out there

ChipDale

Newly Enlightened
lol. The 26650 adapter looks nice. I've considered it. But it lengthens the M6 a bit and changes the look. I'd rather get a 2x18650 battery holder. The convoy L7 is a ridiculous light. By far the best sbt-90 light out there
Please don't push me for Convoy L7. I'm now seeing it on AliExpress...

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
This may or may not be of interest, but I've been using a batch of these (Nitecore NL166) for a good while, and they're doing OK and tested well when new. My main interest was satisfying the current requirements of an Elzetta Alpha Gen 3 @ max output, while also being short enough for an ET D25C. They're very short protected cells rated @4A (presumed cont rating). They're only rated @650 mAh, but exceeded that when tested w/MC3000 @ 1A to 2.8V. The bad news is that they've been discontinued, having been replaced by NL169 rated @ 950 mAh, but at lower current rating:

The 'good news' is that they're apparently still available if you want to try them, as I see this place still lists them and doesn't state otherwise:

Just realized that I neglected to paste this NL166 data in my previous post. In keeping with my general policy of dealing in facts rather than opinion / hearsay;-) .....

************************************************************************************************
The resulting capacity / internal resistance indicated by the MC3000 was (1A discharge to 2.8V):
Cell #6 - 671 mAh - 0.153 Ω
Cell #7 - 677 mAh - 0.163 Ω
Cell #8 - 677 mAh - 0.137 Ω
Cell #9 - 666 mAh - 0.153 Ω
************************************************************************************************

Last edited: