Reflectored Stenlight

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Donified Stenlight.
This is with cut down PD reflectors, the reflectors are now a little shorter so they have more spill than a PD. The pair of orange peel reflectored leds looks like a single beam until you are about 4 inches from the wall. Don had to do a cut to the ouside of the reflectors to get them to fit properly but they look like a factory install to me. The production reflectors will be fantastic.

It is well lit here right now so can only do limited testing. I went into the bathroom and did the white ceiling test. The spill beam looks to be almost twice as wide so it has much more volume. The hotspot however is a little smaller and more intense. Up close the spill is more than bright enough for practical use and the hotspot is more concentrated for more reach.

I can't wait until it is dark to do a proper test. I will send this to Jtice after the weekend, I am meeting some cavers and want to show it to them. If others like this as much as I do and the Jtice review creates interest, I will get a run of reflectors made and then we can have Super Stens

The beams on these are smooth and artifact free like Don is famous for

This will be a drop in upgrade

Last edited:

jtice

Flashaholic
Re: The Stenlight just got better

These reflectors MIGHT work to replace the optics in many lights ;)

Cant wait to check it out Jon, sounds fantastic.

~John

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Shoot, I hope news of these does not leak out of CPF, I wanted to surprize some cavers with this. I posted too soon. Don't tell anyone outside of CPF about this yet. ACK

k1_

Newly Enlightened

Man, am I glad you went and did that JSB. I was considering it for my Stunlight, but didn't want to get into the complications with what is already the best light around.

But if you're going to do a run of reflectors, I am *there*.

k1

Blindspot

Newly Enlightened

I'm in for the new reflector if you produce them.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Headlamp

I am going to change the title of this so it is not obvious until I have a chance to surprize the Grottos here with the change. Then I will put the title back the way it is now. I don't want my competitors to know I have a secret weapon at some caver shows until the one in June is over.

I will get some pics soon.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Headlamp

Jtice will do a better job on the pictures than I will. I will try and send it to him to look at on Monday.

jtice

Flashaholic

:D cant wait to get my grubby hands on it. :devil:

I will get some good shots, comparing it to my setup.
Think im running 25 and 6 degree optics in mine now.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

reflectoredsten550.JPG

Last edited:

jtice

Flashaholic

you tease you :p

Bare in mind folks,
these are just prototypes.
The production versions will have the OD made to fit the stenlight perfectly.
I think Don used those red orings to shim the OD on these protos.

~John

benh

Newly Enlightened

That looks freaking awesome. I can't wait to get my hands on a set to try out on my bike.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

stenbeam550.JPG

This is a really bad picture. The wall is imperfect and has shiny spots on it, a blanket is covering the window and a stock and donified sten are setting in the same chair so so there is some angle on the lights, the two lights are side by side pointing away form each other and also pointing at an upward angle at close range to the wall.

The beam on the right is the modified Sten.

Last edited:

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is with a pair of modified PD reflectors.

The PD reflectors have spill where the optics has very little. I tried the light last night in the dark, there is enough spill to use, I just had the spot adjusted a tiny bit high. When I wanted to see at a distance I just moved my eyes up a tiny bit. I had more periefrail light with the reflectors and more throw at the same time.

The stock Sten is almost all hotspot as you see on the left, on the right don has good spill and an intense spot. The lights are only a couple of feet from the wall and like I said are really bad angles.

Latest posts