Reflectored Stenlight

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Headlamp

Jon,

Stippling is a coating similar to the orange peel, but which diffuses the beam more.

Litho123 had a passaround going of Carley reflectors with 3 different levels of orange peel and 3 different level of stippling.

You can create somewhat of the effect using Krylon clear finishes, but the stippling coating is much more effective.

Bill

Knight Lights

Enlightened

Stippling is essentially a special undercoating applied before the final coat of reflective plating, as I understand it.

Bill

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

shhhhhhh, here is a secret.

The reflector system is getting better, It is going to be part of the thermal management system and have a larger corona.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
The cavers that saw the reflectored Sten said they are sold on it. The loved they way it performed. This project is a go.

Last edited:

newbie05

Newly Enlightened
Jon- I love my Stenlight- I'm a front end mechanic by trade, and this light blows everything else out of the water! Count me in when this gets going!

cy

Flashaholic
what a killer option for stenlight!

when do we send PP?

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
JonSidneyB said:
The cavers that saw the reflectored Sten said they are sold on it. The loved they way it performed. This project is a go.

Thank you for the great news! I'm definitely going to get a set. I hope there will be enough for everyone that wants it.

Sigbjoern

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
There will be enough of them. I intented to use these to become the biggest seller of Stenlight out there. To do that, I will have to offer two different prices. One price for those that got Stens from me and another price for those that got them from someone else. I need to find away to get the Stenlight sales to flow to me.

I should be able to quote a price on them on Monday.

I hope you cavers out here can help me spread the word when I am ready:) Thanks guys.

I need to decide if this goes in group buys or dealers corner when I am ready.

Last edited:

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will definitely spread the word amongst my caving aquaintances. I've only had the Stenlight in a cave once so far, and my co-cavers were quite awed, with output as well as price.

But it is summer now, and lots of things to do instead of caving! I probably won't be doing much proselytizing again until fall.

Definitely anxious to give those reflectors a try though.

Vonnycaver

Newly Enlightened
While I was attending Cave Capers (a caver reunion in Indiana) last month, I had the opportunity to be introduced to the reflectored version of the StenLight. Jon Burlison showed me the difference between my regular StenLight and a version of the StenLight equipped with a prototype of a reflector.

I was skeptic that I would prefer that over the regular StenLight, with which I was already extremely pleased, but lo and behold, I found that the reflector was a definite improvement. One concern with my current StenLight is that I have to reposition the head piece depending on whether I am crawling or walking in cave. It seems that the new reflector addresses that problem nicely by using more spread, which gives me more up-and-down vision as well as wider peripheral vision. I find that extremely useful for caving, as it is tedious to reposition the head piece, especially with muddy hands or when you are in tight crawlways. I'd rather just keep it in one place most of the time. The wider peripheral vision is also important as it allows you to see more of the cave floor ahead of you, in order to choose where to step next.

I also found Jon's demo of pointing the light into far-away trees quite impressive. The spot light seems more focused and powerful than on my regular StenLight. It will really help me when I am looking for detail high up on the wall or in domes, to check for new cave passage.

In addition, I liked Jon's demonstration of how pure the light is with the reflector: no artifacts in the circle of light at all. I'm pretty convinced that the reflector is what I prefer, and am eagerly awaiting mine. One more improvement to an otherwise fantastic caving light!

Yvonne Droms

Vonnycaver

Newly Enlightened
NewBie said:
Do you prefer one reflector and one optic or two reflectors?
I never saw a demonstration of a mix of reflector and optic, so I meant that I liked the new "reflectored StenLight." I was thinking of the reflectors as one unit.