Reflectored Stenlight

dbedit

Newly Enlightened
Re: Headlamp

From my point of view you have for sure added quality to the stenlight beam. IMHO the spill is where the stenlight suffered a bit. I cant wait to get my hands on a set of these as well. I am in for at least one set. Probably two since I plan on buying another stenlight set up.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wonder if one optic and one Reflector would be the way to go?

I could arrange to be in W. VA this next couple weekends if Jtice is going to do some testing.

-Dave J

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Since the reflectors have both more throw and the spill creates flood. I think you will get both less throw and less flood by keeping an optic in place but it could be tried to see what happens

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast

True, but sometimes the hotspot is a little too small with reflectors and there is a sharp transition from hotspot to spill.

InFlux

Enlightened

Fantastic idea!

The only reason why I didn't go in on the Stenlight group buy was because I don't care for optics. Oh, and the fact that I don't go caving :ohgeez:

Anyway, it's going back in my wish list...

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast

For caving specifically, a broad spill might be less popular with fellow cavers, since it will be harder to keep them from getting some glare from your light.

In some respects, the current Stenlight design with two optics might be ideal for caving. It has broad "hotspot" but not much glaring (to others) spill. The beam does have some artifact, but a layer of Write-Rite over the lens smooths that out very nicely, and also further softens the hotspot a bit. You do have less ultimate throw than with the reflectors (from the pics/descriptions), but that would only be a big advantage in big room caves I think.

For a road bicycle headlight, the reflectors will be superior. You don't need a wide hotspot and you will want more throw for cycling at speed, or if on your helmet the additional throw will be useful for spotlighting the road/trail ahead or things off-trail.
I hope that was at least 2 cents worth!

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

The cavers that I was with said that they often like carbide for the flood? Hmmmm

I think this needs to be tried in all configurations to find with is best.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast

JonSidneyB said:
The cavers that I was with said that they often like carbide for the flood? Hmmmm

I think this needs to be tried in all configurations to find with is best.

Agreed!

Where do I paypal?

PS what i find with the stock optic setup is that I am constantly having to reach up and tilt the light up and down, to get some light at my feet or ahead in front of me. When I tilt it down towards my feet it becomes too bright so I have to turn it down. When I then tilt it up to see something in the distance I have to tilt it then turn it up. The good side is this saves batteries, the bad side is that there is a lot of fiddling and mud gets on the lens from my muddy hands.

I want to be able to have a nuetral straight ahead positioning when i'm standing up and my head isn't tilted up or down, but still be able to see my feet by just tilting my eyes and only moving my head just a bit. Does this make sense? basically, I don't want to crain my neck just to see my feet.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Headlamp -- been there, fixed that

Put a tiny little aluminum foil brim over the top of the light; it'll throw just enough reflection down to help with where your feet are, and if you want to look up, you'll look up.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cave>

When I tried it last night, I was able to do close stuff no problem and the spill was able to illuminate the area in front of my feet sufficiently on low. I just had to adjust my eyes slightly to see the spot ahead.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hank,

I am not sure that will last long where we use them, you crawl hundereds of feet on your belly with gouges getting scratched into your helmet, then you wade through deep water and crawl through mud. Then you find places you can barely fit and get stuck several times then you break out the mountain climbing gear. I am not sure the foil is going to stay very well.

jtice

Flashaholic

you WANT ALOT of flood for caving.
You NEED to see whats around you and at your feet.

You cant prevent each other blinding each other.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast

I won't argue that the individual wants a lot of flood for caving. What I'm saying is that with high color temperature LEDs, glare in the eyes of other cavers is going to be more significant with a reflector. Carbide flames are less of a factor in this regard because of their very low color temperature and surface brightness.

If your fellow cavers don't care, rock on!

*Retired*

When I am in mines, I find that using a light with a tight hotspot thrashes my vision. When I use a tight hotspot reflector type lights, I usually end up having to throw the hotspot on anything I'm trying to see, or I can't see things.

A broader soft hotspot, doesn't screw up my eyes anywhere nearly as bad.

The broad soft "hotspot" (aka, dimmer and covering more area with light), also helps me recognize things much better.

Don't get me wrong though, a tight hotspot is useful when you find that rare area that is straight for a long distance, and you want to see the end.

Though, when using a broad softspot optic setup, since there are no burning bright hot spots to mess up my vision like a reflector does, I find I can see alot of other things much better.

I've tried doing the diffuser material over the reflector trick, but any way you cut it, you are just loosing lumens...

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast

cave dave said:
PS what i find with the stock optic setup is that I am constantly having to reach up and tilt the light up and down,
I agree with cave dave and as people know, it was my main point of critics that it had not enough flood.

In my experience, fellow cavers take more advantage of other cavers flood light than they complain about blinding, but of course YMMV.

And the good thing with the Stenlight is, that it is quite easy to try any combination of optics and now reflectors.

The only thing missing now are independent switchable LEDs .-)

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

The reflectored version was tested in a cave against the standard version.

Just like the McGizmo flashlights, the spill was adequate for the job in spite of the bright hotspot. The optics did not have near as wide of a beam. Also the reflectored one was able to illuminate things at a distance where to optics were struggling.

We were inspecting a clean up job in one room and people over and over wanted me to illuminate things with the Sten since they would have to inspect upclose with their lights. The Sten was a real time saver.

I am learning that the best way to sell a Sten is to go out with headlamp users and completly blow away the best that the whole group is using.