• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

SAD NEWS FROM GOING GEAR (PLEASE READ)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got an email from Olight Store this morning as follows. A very generous tribute.

They've also posted on cpf:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/439297

Marshall W. Hoots from Going Gear will forever be a part of the Olight family. Olight began working with him in 2009 and we have received incredible support for the brand from there on out with his wonderful online/offline presence. He has had an enormous impact on Olights product evolution including the integration of moonlight mode, copper edition lights, and the naming of several models such as the legendary S1 Baton. It has been an honor to know and work with Mr. Hoots and we are extremely sorry to see him go. Rest in peace.

Tomorrow/Friday 10/6/17, We will donate 100% of every order placed to help Marshalls family during this difficult time. We highly recommend placing an order to support one of the most important lives in the flashlight industry.

hahoo

Enlightened
I got an email from Olight Store this morning as follows. A very generous tribute.

They've also posted on cpf:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/439297

Marshall W. Hoots from Going Gear will forever be a part of the Olight family. Olight began working with him in 2009 and we have received incredible support for the brand from there on out with his wonderful online/offline presence. He has had an enormous impact on Olights product evolution including the integration of moonlight mode, copper edition lights, and the naming of several models such as the legendary S1 Baton. It has been an honor to know and work with Mr. Hoots and we are extremely sorry to see him go. Rest in peace.

Tomorrow/Friday 10/6/17, We will donate 100% of every order placed to help Marshalls family during this difficult time. We highly recommend placing an order to support one of the most important lives in the flashlight industry.

man, that is just awsome olight
very nice of you guys to do this
god will bless you 10 fold for this i promise
marshall will be missed for sure, he was such a nice and pleasant guy to do buisness with

Olightworld

Enlightened
Folks, tomorrow at www.olightstore.com. Every dollar made on the website is being donated to Marshalls family. If you live in the USA, please buy something for yourself or friend and contribute to Marshalls family. Thank you for your time.

Keitho

Enlightened
I'll be buying something tomorrow out of respect for Marshall, and on Saturday as a thank you to Olight. I'm sure Olight has earned many customers for life besides me with this generous gesture.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to see Olight doing this. Some of the first "real" flashlights I ever bought were because of Marshall's insight. Good show. I'll be ordering something tomorrow.

FuzeMag

Newly Enlightened
My condolences to Marshall's friends and family. May he rest in peace.

Edit: Hope you don't mind Cedric, I shared this on Bladeforums. Marshall had a presence there as well.

No problem! Yes, he was actually a KNIFE guy! :)

MM81

Newly Enlightened
RIP Marshall.

I still remember our chat in 2011 or 2012, when i bought my Niteye EYE-30 from GG. We chatted about Suunto watches and he was a very happy to sell flashlight right next to Suunto head office. (i live about 2 miles from Suunto).

My thoughts are with his family and friends.

TCY

Enlightened
I just found this thread. I can't believe it. This is the first time I sit in front of a monitor for a very long time and don't know what to say/type. I live in Australia so I don't buy from going gear but I've been watching Marshall's shotshow videos and flashlight reviews for a long time and I know that Marshall is a great guy. In his prime, doing great work but passed away. RIP Marshall, you will be remembered by the flashlight community. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

Thank you Rob Babcock for posting this on the flashlight subforum. If that post wasn't there I would never know.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's an update on the Celebration of Life plans with a changed venue:

Mr. Marshall W. Hoots, age 37, of Marietta, passed away Monday, September 25, 2017. A celebration of his life will be held 2 pm Sunday, October 8 in the chapel of Carmichael Funeral Home in Smyrna. The family will receive friends at the Family Celebration Center at Carmichael Funeral Home following the service.

Mr. Hoots is survived by his wife Lindsay Hoots, children Quinnlyn and Cullen Hoots, parents Michael Hoots and Diane Hoots, brother Matthew (Sheila) Hoots, nephews Daniel, Anthony and Matthew Hoots. Marshall was a graduate of Georgia Institute of Technology with a Degree in Business. He started Going Gear by selling fire steels online. In the early years, Marshall would pack up his gear and travel to various gun shows establishing Going Gear's foothold in the marketplace. He added products he used and eventually grew the business centered on outdoor equipment, specialty knives and the largest in store flashlight display in the US. He developed his own line of products under the NuMyth trademark. Marshall was highly respected for his numerous YouTube videos focusing on flashlights, fire starters and other outdoor equipment. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made through a go fund me account that will be set up for his children.

http://www.carmichaelfuneralhomes.com/obituaries/Marshall-Wayne-Hoots?obId=2599977#/obituaryInfo

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
My condolences. Very sad to hear and I will be thinking of the family. What a great person with such an impact on so many.

Kaban

Newly Enlightened
Very sad to hear of Marshall's passing. Way too soon. Condolences to his family and friends.

Marshall had a BIG impact on many people here, including myself when I got into the flashlight scene. I used to spend hours on end watching his older videos from several years ago when he would test his flashlights and shined them at the big tree and also in his backyard. He had such a fantastic presentation style and such a recognizable voice. RIP my friend, you will be dearly missed.

weez82

Enlightened
This is very sad. Condolences to the family and friends. I watched his videos for years and he help me make smart purchases. He will be missed by this community. I hope goinggear will continue and remain a great company for the flashlight and edc community. As long as gg is around they'll have my business

Last edited:

terjee

Enlightened
I'm terribly sorry for your loss.
He's brought smiles to a lot of faces, and been a true asset. All the best to family and friends.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a little tribute to Going Gear and Marshall.

Below is an image of most of the stuff I've bought from Going Gear in the past few years. (Some stuff is much older than a few years old.) Many things Marshall helped create, many things Marshall or the team helped me choose. I've never had a time where I would hesitate to ask what Marshall or Going Gear would suggest and they always knew what I was looking for.

Yes, I love neutral lights and when there's a special edition that had neutral emitters in them, I would often buy two to help the industry and Marshall know that there is a preference. Marshall has a really good idea what is going to sell well because he loves this stuff.

He had some trouble with some of his ideas. Having a fixed blade knife created with his vision and having a fire steel built into that knife... That thing was too darned expensive! What was it $275 or $375? I know I thought about buying it a few times, but never pulled the trigger and then it disappeared.

I love stuff that makes fire, it is something people need to survive. I feel Marshall was there with me, because anytime I got the itch to buy something new that creates fire, I can go on Going Gear and look at his fire section and there is always something new and interesting.

RH9F7K8.jpg

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today as I was working on my lights, everything reminded me of Marshal...the V11r with the Going Gear flame on it, the write in the rain notebook, lights I bought from the "garage sales" he used to do...he will be greatly missed...thoughts & prayers to his family and friends....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.