Seek Thermal

Eskimojo

Newly Enlightened
Just authored a long and eloquent response and the system told me I wasn't logged in Hahaha.

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
lol I hate that sometimes you can back button it and copy then log in a paste, but sometimes it doesn't work.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I think it's one of Murphy's Laws - the longer reply, the more likely it will vanish into the ether with a single click. That's happened to me many times.

The development of inexpensive microbolometers is really democratizing thermal imaging, making it accessible to the masses. I've always wanted to have a thermal imager but could never justify the cost of it until now. I figure it will eventually pay for itself by showing me where I need to add insulation to the house. The rest of the possible uses are icing on the cake.

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
That's a good way to look at it. I personally wanted my own the first evening I strapped one on in the Corp. I do work for Flir and see some of the products that were in use in the military and some to come. What's available to me now as a civy doesn't hold a candle to what we used, but its damn good and will get the job done That is if you have DEEEEEP pockets. Then along came Seek thermal For me portability was a huge factor yeah I could have saved up and just sunk some cash into a good handheld or even a riffle mounted device, but I'm not hunting long distance. I needed to be able to pick up the signature of my intended target then move in for the take down. The Seek thermal fills every bill its light weight fits in a shirt pocket costs very little considering what your getting and can reach out to 1-200 Yards easily couple that with good imagery and its perfect for any OTG outdoorsman. Now I did shoot my house with it and take care of some drafty windows as well so that keeps the wife happy, happy wife happy life. I would venture to say if you have large utility bills due to drafts and such this is a money saver for sure once the repairs are made. gotta love a product that saves money and fun to boot.

Joe

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got mine today, been wanting one for a while. I have the XR one... They advertised it as something like up to a 2x zoom. But im not sure how to adjust that? I can only seem to adjust the focus, not sure if I am missing something obvious. Only played with it for about 30 minutes so far. Not read any of the documentation yet. :p

I did find out something kind of interesting. I took it out in my backyard and my stucco registered a temperature of up to about 140F. My neighbors house is might lighter in color and is facing the sun in the same direction and only registered about 115F. That is quite a big difference! Paint is causing the outside temperature of my stucco to be 25F hotter than a lighter paint color! On the flip side, I do have a large butterfly bush blocking part of the sun on the house. The stucco behind that bush read just 70F. Yes, a full 70F cooler! Insane how much cooler some shade can make your house!

Eskimojo

Newly Enlightened
I would say it's not a zoom but a focus that can change the sensors focus point.
And therefore it can "see" much further.

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
yes agree with eskimojo. there is also aspect ratio gives a short zoom effect. The difference in heat your seeing is probably due to the darker color absorbing and holding the heat longer. light colors reflect dark absorb so seems rite to me. had a blast at my property with it over the weekend was picking up deer across my field with no trouble set off into the woods and was easily able to detect roosted turkeys with target temp set at 100 deg F Its safe to say this little device will be a great hunting tool for me as I spotted deer in the field could see them on thermal and was able to circle around through the woods never detected normally Id be walking in that field spooking them out as I was going hunting in the morning. this will definitely put more game on the table I assure you.

Last edited:

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
heading to the property tonight to play with the Thermal some more. Going to spend the weekend scouting the Turkeys for the upcoming season in April. Still waiting on the lenses for my Goggle gotta love china shipping lol

Eskimojo

Newly Enlightened
Oh yes China shipping is the thing to wait for. (But then again most is free so I guess that's worth waiting for)
Where we live what we can get is expensive (can't get much) so we buy a lot online.
Folks here are quite impressed with the Seek and I just ordered 2 for others.
Still haven't gotten around to link to my pictures. (Yet)

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
lol had a blast with the seek thermal last weekend spotted Deer, Turkeys and 2 fox at my property. This device has been helpful in my Scouting for the upcoming Turkey season and I have gotten much use from it around the house and work was able to see a lack of heat transfer into a heatsink for a control module that kept burning out.

Eskimojo

Newly Enlightened
Oh could be cool to detect foxes. I sometimes do wildlife control around an USAF base.
With the Seek, spotting would be so much easier.
At work we have a bathroom that's always cold and management never listened to complains until I took pictures that gave them a visual of the problem. Now it'll be fixed.

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
Yep fox stand out well on the device. Here is something I found out Friday. I service the equipment at FLIR here in Maryland, turns out the Seek thermal device is actually made by FLIR. I talked at length with one of the Head guys there about the device as well as FLIR branded devices. we exchanged Information because it turns out he and I have much in common. I turned him onto some Information on a Night vision system I made for my riffle and in turn he offered me the use of his discount to buy FLIR branded products. Since I've had my eye on a riffle scope for some time now that's actually gonna be a reality for me. I have been in that facility many times and never asked questions about the stuff they do there due to it being mostly Military fitment that goes on there. Turned out to be an awesome work day for me.

Eskimojo

Newly Enlightened
Wow that's great :) And interesting information..
For me the Seek was the only choice (between Seek, FLIR ONE and Thermal App) both in regards of price and temperature detection range.
I've always dreamt of the FLIR Scout, but it's too pricy for me. Or I don't need it enough. Think I'd rather spend the 3 grand on something else. Hahaha.
I've ordered 3 more Seeks by the way.
Had a problem with a heated floor and the contractor that came to fix it told me I'd be able to see if the change of valves had any effect the next day.
I told him I'd be able to see it right away and got the Seek. It was obvious that his circumvention worked.
He asked me to get him a Seek right there.
Ordered 2 extra so sell.
I'm over seas now and have to make a few tweeks to get them here. That's why others ask me to get them.
By the way I noticed my lense (directly from Seek) is quite firm to turn. Feels very sturdy.
The 2 others I got from Amazon were a little loose to the turn.
Looking forward to see how the next ones feel.

SemiMan

Banned
Can someone quote on the ability to focus and get good resolution at short distances, say 4-6" and getting resolution of say 1/16 - 1/8". I need a bunch of thermal imagers for a project and if I can get away with something like this that would be great.

I noticed a third party company was selling a lens they claim is better than the XR when added to the standard camera.

Semiman

Eskimojo

Newly Enlightened
I can test it and see if the results are acceptable.
Please reveal more info on that third party company. Sounds interesting.

drummer132132

Enlightened
Can someone quote on the ability to focus and get good resolution at short distances, say 4-6" and getting resolution of say 1/16 - 1/8". I need a bunch of thermal imagers for a project and if I can get away with something like this that would be great.

I noticed a third party company was selling a lens they claim is better than the XR when added to the standard camera.

Semiman

Have a name of the company or item for the lens? Been thinking of picking up a Seek Thermal for house stuff but also outdoors. The XR is perfect for outdoor/distance but the regular version is better for indoor but if there is a detachable lens for the regular version one can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Eskimojo

Newly Enlightened
The one thing that makes the "regular version" better is the 36 degrees field of view where the XR version has only 20 degrees.
On the other hand the XR does a pretty good job and to me the focus part makes all the difference.

1 http://i61.tinypic.com/15n0oxy.jpg
2 http://i60.tinypic.com/mcyyz4.jpg
3 http://i60.tinypic.com/b7kt44.jpg
4 http://i61.tinypic.com/311qpkx.jpg

The XR is not only better on long distances but also on short - The regular version has a better field of view but with a fixed focus. I don't know at what distance it's tuned in on.

On the above pictures you can see
1) A dark warehouse, white is hot they just got some boxes out of the freezer.
2) Floor heating valve from 3 feet
3) Same thing from around 7 inches Notice the paint chips are visible.
4) Again but from 4 inches. The resolution is great on the Seek and the focus lens is working great

If there is a third party lens to apply to the regular version - and it work as good as the XR it may be an option (price?) because then you could get a 36 degree FOV.
But it have to be a pretty neat lens with easy attachment before I'd go for it.

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
Eskimojo: My lense is pretty firm as well and my unit is direct from Seek also. I was unable to find the XR in android on amazon so I went directly through seek IMO its better that way for warranty purposes anyhow. The XR version is said to have a macro feature, though I haven't used it on mine, the info says its better for close up images due to the focusable lense. I have my company looking at the Seek device as a tool for techs. I have been using mine quite a bit to show heat transfer into electronic boards even used it to find a bad resistor on a circuit board that was opening up when it heated up breaking the circuit when it would cool down the circuit would close and the unit would work till the resistor heated up again. was puzzling 4 techs trying to find out what was going on lol