Seek Thermal

Eskimojo

Newly Enlightened
TJ nice..
I kinda guessed that you wouldn't be able to film something (that) fast. The frame rate is like 9hz so anything too fast gets blurry.
Would have loved to be on the range but did bake muffins Hahaha.
I'm an Android guy, but got the ios version for different reasons.
And now I'm waiting for a new iPad mini to be used primarily for the Seek.
Looking forward to the bigger screen.
I know how fast people gets interested when they've seen what it can do.
And "DC" too bad about your experience with Amazon.
I've ordered (Seek) from them twice and both time it came within a few day (Friday to Monday both times).
When I ordered from Seek directly on the other hand it took them more than a week to even register my buy.
I'm expecting a new delivery Tuesday.

Last edited:

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
ok got confirmation on the new FLIR one Version 2 today. I'm waiting on the PDF spec sheet, should get that from my contact in the next couple days. he said the testing of the unit has been very good and the device will be much better then the first. As soon as I get the PDF ill post it up. I have a ball park price of $125 -$150 my cost through my contact at his discount. If folks are interested I will buy as many as folks want and you can get it through me directly for cost. He ended up building one of the Night Vision set ups like mine and he is so happy with how well it works he is more then happy to help me get my hands on whatever FLIR systems I desire at his cost. amazing the places I go to for my job I get the see much of the everyday items we use being made. I definitely love my job and the people I meet. I have one more weekend of scouting then the following weekend is opening day of Turkey season Cant wait to get out and do some hunting.
I ordered direct from seek had it in my hands in 8 days total I'm guessing shipping times vary with location

Last edited:

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
ok got confirmation on the new FLIR one Version 2 today. I'm waiting on the PDF spec sheet, should get that from my contact in the next couple days. he said the testing of the unit has been very good and the device will be much better then the first. As soon as I get the PDF ill post it up. I have a ball park price of $125 -$150 my cost through my contact at his discount. If folks are interested I will buy as many as folks want and you can get it through me directly for cost. He ended up building one of the Night Vision set ups like mine and he is so happy with how well it works he is more then happy to help me get my hands on whatever FLIR systems I desire at his cost. amazing the places I go to for my job I get the see much of the everyday items we use being made. I definitely love my job and the people I meet. I have one more weekend of scouting then the following weekend is opening day of Turkey season Cant wait to get out and do some hunting.
I ordered direct from seek had it in my hands in 8 days total I'm guessing shipping times vary with location

Cost as in postage, or cost as in brokerage profit?

Eskimojo

Newly Enlightened
TJ I'm definitely up for a couple (or more) of those units.
Looking forward to the spec sheet.
😊😊😊

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
cost as in what I pay for them, buyer pays shipping on top of that so if I get it for $125 you get it for $125 + shipping. I talked to my contact there today and told him to light a fire under someone's *** because WE NEED this NOW lol I will keep everyone posted as soon as I get the PDF and word on availability. I ordered my RS32 FLIR Scope today from him cant wait to play with that bad boy those night critters at the property are in Deep poop now. Would have liked the RS64 more, but the 32 will be plenty for my needs.

Eskimojo

Newly Enlightened
Niiiice.
I just saw a yt video with the 35 mm. That's awesome.
It wouldn't be good for my rifle (6.5x55) and my ar15 is sold years ago.
That's sweet.
If I get back to the USAF base to work again I want one Hahaha.
But have to buy a rifle for it then lol..

Last edited:

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
cost as in what I pay for them, buyer pays shipping on top of that so if I get it for $125 you get it for $125 + shipping. I talked to my contact there today and told him to light a fire under someone's *** because WE NEED this NOW lol I will keep everyone posted as soon as I get the PDF and word on availability. I ordered my RS32 FLIR Scope today from him cant wait to play with that bad boy those night critters at the property are in Deep poop now. Would have liked the RS64 more, but the 32 will be plenty for my needs.

Id be in for one in that case....i thought you wer giving them away for FREE!! Lol' jk

jafa

Newly Enlightened
lol had a blast with the seek thermal last weekend spotted Deer, Turkeys and 2 fox at my property. This device has been helpful in my Scouting for the upcoming Turkey season and I have gotten much use from it around the house and work was able to see a lack of heat transfer into a heatsink for a control module that kept burning out.

Hi - I myself just ordered a seek thermal XR. What's your luck like with turkeys? (I'm getting ready for the opener myself). More specifically range that you can identify them at. The one field where they roost is 300 yds x 100 yds. I wouldn't expect to be able to identify or pickup at 300 yds but maybe I'm wrong. Any insight on Turkeys would be appreciated.

Good luck with your spring hunt.

TIA

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
JAFA: I do real well Turkey hunting here Biggest bird at 23 lbs dressed 10" beard and 1.5" spurs. Our season starts just as the hens are coming into season so opening week is a great time to be in the woods after that the Toms roost with the hens and are hard to call away. I at that point call to the hens and try to **** them off often Ive had them come looking for a fight and bring a tom into gun range. we can only hunt to noon here for the first part of the season if I don't get my birds by then I hunt the evenings on the second half by that time to hens are sitting on nests and the toms are lonely and come to calls again. the best advice I can give is to hunt where the turkeys want to go that way your calling to them from a direction there headed anyway. Scout the roost site around 10am to noon find dusting strutting zones and food sources and pattern the birds that's the best way to score IMO. most times I don't even have to call they just walk rite into my setup because there headed that way anyhow. Some folks say its ambushing, but to me its good woodsmanship and just as in deer hunting that way you still have to sit still and make the shot those to components are the most important in turkey hunting. I can see turkeys on the roost at 100yards easily with my seek I can pick up there signature at 200 if I set the device to see the turkeys temperature of 101 Deg F that way it ignores anything lower and eliminates any clutter from other objects. Once I see the heat sig in red heat I creep in closet and switch to black heat for a better defined picture at 50 yards I can tell Toms from hens so long as there isn't a lot of limb clutter blocking the view. what state do you live in JAFA

electronupdate

Newly Enlightened
Have a name of the company or item for the lens? Been thinking of picking up a Seek Thermal for house stuff but also outdoors. The XR is perfect for outdoor/distance but the regular version is better for indoor but if there is a detachable lens for the regular version one can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

You can buy a lens from a number of ebay vendors to significantly improve the macro capabilities:

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
same here my XR does a good job for my needs. I do have lenses I use for my laser projects and now I'm curious if I could extent the range using them. not sure I want to tear down my laser test stand to find out though. I have good Stalking skills thanks to the US Marine Corp. and lots of practice, so I can get fairly close undetected to Game I use the Seek thermal to find

jafa

Newly Enlightened
JAFA: I do real well Turkey hunting here Biggest bird at 23 lbs dressed 10" beard and 1.5" spurs. Our season starts just as the hens are coming into season so opening week is a great time to be in the woods after that the Toms roost with the hens and are hard to call away. I at that point call to the hens and try to **** them off often Ive had them come looking for a fight and bring a tom into gun range. we can only hunt to noon here for the first part of the season if I don't get my birds by then I hunt the evenings on the second half by that time to hens are sitting on nests and the toms are lonely and come to calls again. the best advice I can give is to hunt where the turkeys want to go that way your calling to them from a direction there headed anyway. Scout the roost site around 10am to noon find dusting strutting zones and food sources and pattern the birds that's the best way to score IMO. most times I don't even have to call they just walk rite into my setup because there headed that way anyhow. Some folks say its ambushing, but to me its good woodsmanship and just as in deer hunting that way you still have to sit still and make the shot those to components are the most important in turkey hunting. I can see turkeys on the roost at 100yards easily with my seek I can pick up there signature at 200 if I set the device to see the turkeys temperature of 101 Deg F that way it ignores anything lower and eliminates any clutter from other objects. Once I see the heat sig in red heat I creep in closet and switch to black heat for a better defined picture at 50 yards I can tell Toms from hens so long as there isn't a lot of limb clutter blocking the view. what state do you live in JAFA

Thanks throwjunkie,

im up in Ontario Canada, our Turkey season kicks off April 27th it's a little late as most of the hens have already matted and are holed up. 2 bird limit in e spring. We really need to work the birds up here, it's bearded turkeys only so hens, Jenny's and some young jakes are out of the question. If we can't get them in the morning we'll ambush in the evening when they head back to roost. I was out last weekend and counted 12 Toms, 34 jakes and lots of Hens. My plan this year is to try and sneak under the roost and get them right after they land, using the new winchesters xr 3.5" and I've got good patterns to 65 yds! These things are unreal. Looking forward to using the seek to sneak up under them, sounds like it'll help pinpoint them in the dark. Good luck to you.

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
JAFA im also using the XR 3.5 and the undertaker choke 65 yards is a dead bird usually with 10-16 pellets in the head neck area 30 yards is a decap lol today is youth hunt day here my season opens in the 18th April I was at the property watching the birds they were quiet due to bad weather the past 2 days but the Tome were Strutting for the hens like crazy go take a look at this set up I built one for my riffle and a hand held unit for night scouting it works very well especially with the T20 illuminator from amazon I can see animals like im looking at day light with this rig all the way out to 200 yards. its a must have to ease in very tight to the turkeys I put a hood over my head so the birds don't see the light from the screen but as long as you do it a couple hours prior to fly down the turkeys generally forget you were there anyhow I set out a hen decoy so as soon as light comes up they see that decoy and usually pitch down to it. the seek will help you locate them then you can switch to the night vision set up. I paid around $150 to build mine and another 40 for the illuminator its better then Gen 3 NV crystal clear images most times I can even see the birds spurs with it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wnNFR99xGI my handheld

Last edited:

jafa

Newly Enlightened
Nice setup Throwjunkie. What are the parts/items I would need to construct your NV setup? I'm brand spanking new to this thermal/night vision stuff so any help is greatly appreciated.

I've got a similar turkey setup - I was out scouting again this weekend and the birds flew right into the middle of my field (100 yds across). I'm planning on putting my avian hen decoy out about 20 yds from me, hoping they land mid field and walk in towards the hen. With those XR's even if they hang up at 40 or 45 yds I'll put the hurt on them. No better time of the year than the weeks leading up to a season opener.

Cheers

Latest posts