Shouldn't Lumens Factory Have a Turbo Head?

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regardless of 2.5" vs 3" diameter, if the new TH can't outperform an SRTH or a KT1, then the larger diam, lower price, sleeker looks, etc are all moot. IMO, at a minimum, the new TH has to have better throw and at least equal heat sinking capability (for use with LED turbo towers). Superior heat sinking such that one can use things like MC-E towers running at full power would be a huge plus. A somewhat smaller overall beam size, which would then concentrate some lumens that could go into the spill so that you can have both a brighter hot spot and spill vs current SF THs, might also be useful. Current SF THs produce a huge overall beam size, which is perhaps overkill. Nice, but overkill.

Brigadier

Enlightened
I would also like to see a 2.5"-3" TH finished to match the SP-9. My D36/HO-9L combo is wonderful. I can imagine what a real TH could be capable of.

Deputy T.

Newly Enlightened
No problem, guys. I hear ya.
But you guys might have to wait until probably March or April of 2010 to see anything, we have got tons of stuff on hand right now.
Rest assured that it will be made though.

Cheers,

Mark

?

Just thought that it was time to bring this thread to back to the top. Don't want the discussion to lose too much momentum.

Mark@LF

Enlightened
Hi Guys,

Sorry to put this off for so long, but I have been very busy with projects that have filled my schedule right up to August.

I have finished most of the work now and will put some time into this. I will update you guys on this, and if there are any good or cool suggestions. Please feel free to let me know. :)

Cheers,

Mark

325addict

Enlightened
As I see it, it would be fine to have a 3" TH for the M6 and a smaller one for the C-series, all with optimum heatsinking capabilities of course ;)

Ideally, for me they should have following specs:

The 3" TH for M6 should of course incorporate the Luminus SST-90 LED, preferably with high CRI and not too high a color temperature (NO 6500K please, please!!) It should have an M-thread of course.
It should operate, like the current P7 model, from 6V to 13V for a regulated output, that's just excellent already. Of course, it should have 3 modes, one of which should unveil the full 2000+ Lumens of this awesome LED :poke:
That's the LED-side. Now back to incans... a 3" TH with the ability to take MN2X lamp assemblies and the like... UEBERCOOL! I would buy one IMMEDIATELY as our good fellow FiveMega ran out of his one.

For the C-series, I can imagine a smaller TH (something in the region of 1.5") with a Luminus SST-50 LED. If possible, it should have a driver that is capable of both bucking and boosting, so it will accept 3V to 13V for a regulated output. Everything else the same as above, but with C-thread.
For the incans, please make the same one, but make it so, it can accept MN2X lamps (so NOT the MN10 and MN11, choice is much wider in the MN20-style) and I would be happy.

Any chance, Mark??

I will check this thread more often, highly interesting!

Timmo.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mark, any updates? I'm just curious if things are still chugging along on this. :huh: There's a lot of us that would like to get ourselves a nice new old school style turbohead sometime this fall.

SRTH1.jpg

Last edited:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
After seeing their superb work on the P7 Turbohead, I say go for it.. I would say for their first turbohead (even though it is a LED) they have really done a superb job. I think they can do it for incandescents too. LumensFactory definitely understands what quality means. The P7 is awesome.

SRTH style would be nice, Pyrex/Borofloat (they're actually pretty much the same thing), definitely AR coated. We were just discussing in another thread, how using the IMR-M6 lamp in a SRTH could potentially result in burning Lexan. The IMR bulb is pretty awesome and similar in potential to the ROP bulb which has definitely burned a few plastic reflectors and plastic lenses in its time so I wouldn't be surprised if a full blast run of the IMR-M6 caused some damage.

I would also say that if the turbohead can be made M and C compatible, you would kill two birds with one stone but they probably already realize that seeing how the new 2nd-gen P7 turbohead is M and C compatible with optional adapter. It opens up so many more options; I only have one M3 but lots more C lights for example, just out of sheer cost factor alone.