Show off your little lights!

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Since most of them run on 10180 li-ions, I consider them little beasts.

I love my little 10180 lights. They are truly little powerhouses. Is there a tinier light that works as hard ounce for ounce, or maybe rather gram for gram in terms of light output for its size? :) in fact I bought three of the little USB chargers so I have one for the car, one at home, and one for my office. Sometimes I carry one in my pocket which I charge off of a small USB battery bank. These being diminutive lithium cobalt and not lithium manganese batteries hopefully one will never blow up in my pocket during recharge.

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
This is one area I could definitely improve in. I have some single AAA lights (the Fenix is for size reference in this picture) but when it comes to really tiny lights, my collection is quite meager, and a bit "I found it at the gas station for $1"-heavy :) I put the rubber cover on the Led Lenser to make it more toothfriendly, but after reading about what happened to a fellow countrywoman (she accidentally swallowed a fork) I'm very reluctant to hold a small light between my teeth.

DSCN1256.jpg

Ha ha. The Grundig looks like a little beer keg. :)

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few 1/3 AAA size NiMH cells. Less output but more runtime and I guess a little safer. Most of the lights that use 10180 cells don't have low voltage warning or cut off. You need to notice that they are getting dimmer, which is tricky with QTC. On the other hand, I regularly check the cell's voltage with a meter, top off the charge with a good quality charger, keep track of how long I run them and I've never had a problem. They are very useful lights and impress people.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
That's great battery discipline you're doing there. I should check the voltage more often too.

Good point about the cutoff problem. I try to pay attention to any dimming but with the naked eye it's not foolproof.

So what I do is to basically recharge every few days even if I don't use the light that much. I have lots of these Mophie 6000 mAh USB power banks around the house and there's usually one nearby to plug in the little charger. Since lithium ions don't have a memory problem like NiMH that doesn't pose a problem. But I've read that keeping lithium ions always in a high state of charge could be an issue. So maybe I've just traded one risk for another.

Last edited:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've also read that you shouldn't store li-ions fully charged. I believe that applies to long term storage. But no problem keeping the cells that get used fully charged.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
I've also read that you shouldn't store li-ions fully charged. I believe that applies to long term storage. But no problem keeping the cells that get used fully charged.

Okay, I read something similar come to think of it. It also said manufacturers preferred to ship cells at about 2/3 of full charge, probably related to just sitting in storage or on the shelf like you said.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
I just got my Tain Ottavino in the mail. Awesome little light. Didn't expect the high mode to be so bright. It's brighter than my Olight i3 EOS AAA light, and even brighter than the Steve Ku. This is my second 10280 light after the Steve Ku 44DD titanium. I'll post a photo of it later.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
I just got my Tain Ottavino in the mail. Awesome little light. Didn't expect the high mode to be so bright. It's brighter than my Olight i3 EOS AAA light, and even brighter than the Steve Ku. This is my second 10280 light after the Steve Ku 44DD titanium. I'll post a photo of it later.

Awesome,congrats, look forward to the pics:)

magellan

Honorary Aussie
I said I'd post photos of my new Tain Ottavino. Next to it is another new arrival, a Maratac copper AAA for comparison. The low light photo shows how well the diffuser cap glows in the dark.

I used my Olight i3 EOS AAA light which has an XP-G2 emitter on high (80 lumens) as my light source. :)

Oops, looks like the third photo didn't load. Will correct shortly.

imagejpg1_zpsb23667cc.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am off to Wilkies this afternoon to get the US version of the Energizer key chain light if they stock it,i am so excited.:)

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Here's the third photo showing the diffuser cap. You can even see a bit of the glow reflecting off the metal of the USB connector on the charger. Also you can see the purple trit in the tail of the Ottavino.

imagejpg3_zps2c9922d0.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
I just posted this photo on the Show Off Your Copper thread. It's not pure copper, but bronze is mostly copper. This is a closeup of the Muyshondt Ion CR2 light from my earlier group photos in aluminum bronze.

imagejpg1_zpsc1886df6.jpg

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Like a lot:D

Thanks!

I'd never had a light with a fancy fob before. The fob makes it a lot harder for a small light like this to get away from you and drop it on concrete or whatever and ding it. From now on I'm going to have fobs on my more expensive lights if I plan to carry them.

ven

Flashaholic
Drops on concrete:eek:

:laughing:

Ok on a serious note(well not really tbh) i do find them easier to handle if not attached to anything(like keys etc). In short i am a clumsy *beep* so having something there imo too helps grip and gives that more of a security feel as well.

Really nice lights you have:) at some point (when my very bad week/month is done with) i will be looking into some smaller special lights at a later date:)Till then i can admire yours and others .................and hopefully more yet when other members show their lights:whistle: