Single Cell EDC w/ separate mode change, pocket clip, other specifics

tychoseven

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a very specific set of features, and I don't think it exists. Please prove me wrong!

• Forward clicky switch (first choice) -or- electronic switch (second choice).
  • Change modes by twisting the bezel/head, a separate mode button, magnetic ring, or electronic switch.
  • Sturdy clip that sandwiches between body segments or is screwed to the body, not a clip-on clip. Prefer bezel up orientation, even better if reversible.
  • Battery preference, in order: AA/14500, 18650, CR123
  • Under $40 (Ok, negotiable if it checks enough boxes, but definitely under $80)
  • Bonus points if it's got a sub-lumen low.
  • If not Neutral-White or Warm-White emitter, must be modifiable.

I'm not married to any battery except that it must accept rechargables; I don't do primaries except in emergencies. I already have eneloops and 18650s, don't have 16340s. Because this is an EDC a single cell would be best. Will probably live in my EDC bag since I have a AAA light I keep on my person.
I think the Zebralight SC52Fw would be an excellent choice, but it's on the upper end of the price spectrum. Perhaps the Olight S15 would be decent substitute?

I mostly care about the UI and would like the light to behave as if it's single-mode, because I don't like accidentally changing modes when using the momentary feature (on a forward clicky)

EDIT: I've removed the NW requirement because I've decided to do an LED swap as the UI is the primary concern for me.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark Tactical AA (QTA) would meet all your requirements - it's a programmable 2-mode (separated by a bezel twist) w/forward clicky. Fully supports any chemistry and you can lego optional batt. tubes, although they only sell up to 17670 size. In a pinch, with a piece of MacGyver tinfoil, you can run anything between AAAs and 9Vs to CR123s and 18650s. I like running 14500s, Eneloops and 3V CRAAs. I have a Pro version of the light (QPA) modded with a N219... one of my all time favorite lights.

Last edited:

MiataTrySlide92

Newly Enlightened
I really like my Nitecore SRT3 for edc. It has a sturdy clip that is screwed on to the body. Bezel down. Magnetic ring to select any mode before turn on and dial in the perfect amount of light. Has the lowest moonlight mode I've been able to find so far. Lower than my armytek predator pro's "0.1 lumen" mode.

It can be used with either 14500 or 16340 with the included screw on adapter. If you don't need the two battery options the SRT5 comes in 18650 size with the rest of the same features.