SUREFIRE EDCL-2T

bykfixer

Flashaholic
That's the tactician, not the EDCL, which still has TBD in several places.

It looks like firearms took down the EDCL spec sheet post. But they showed one with specs on the 1 and 2 with tbd in several places of the 2 specs.
Stay tuned folks. John will hook us up with some numbers when the time is right.

Last edited:

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, was hoping they were releasing both the 2 cell and 1 cell light.

Stainz

Enlightened
If it takes the same amount of time to reach the market place as their UM2 Ultra, aka 'baby' Dominator, did ... don't write the check just yet. Still... I wanted the EDCL-2T... but left this thread. I just had to read the recent UM2 Ultra posts - and ordered one. It arrived Saturday - and is it a keeper - and what a price!

Lumen83

Enlightened
The EDCL-2T is officially listed on the surefire page for $179.00. I'm just not sure what the heck I would do with a 1200 lumen EDC light. The low seems too low. Seems like I'd need to use the high for most EDC tasks. And 1200 surefire lumens is got to be bright as can be. Too bright, for me.

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I guess I'm not as excited about it as I thought. Its form factor is eb2 and 5 lumens doesnt appeal to me either. I guess I was looking for a LX2 sized 15 lumen low with the good lanyard ring. I tried the eb2 when they came out and didnt like the 5 lumen low and also didnt like its size.

Oh well. I am glad to see the 2 stage tailcap back though.

Those that purchase I look forward to your results.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
15 lumens is a perfect low I think. Everyone is different though.

Pretty much. I do like the 10-15 lumen low settings of the L1 and LX2. 5 is juuuuust a little too dim to walk with unless I'm in the pitch dark. But that's just me.

I think the 5 to 1200 jump is a bit dramatic. I have a UM2 I recently got and the 15 lumen setting(level 2?) is perfect for almost everything.

JJRG

Newly Enlightened
When I get to a keyboard I'll do a more in-depth post. Long story short, I've been using the low setting on the EDCL-1T for months and not had any issue with it, and this is from cloudy moonless nights in the woods, to navigating dimly lit city streets, to looking under tables for my Daughter's crayons. The TIR head does a good job of doing a lot with a little, as others have noted.

As far as the WHY behind 1,200 lumens, it's excellent for controlling someone else's vision in a wide variety of lighting conditions/acting as a very benign use of force in ambiguous encounters. For those interested in that particular topic I'd suggest looking up Craig Douglas'/Shivworks concept of M.U.C. (Managing unknown contacts).

All depends what you're looking for and how you intend to utilize it.

JJRG

Newly Enlightened
That all having been said, if the general consensus is 15 lumens is a better task output, I don't feel very strongly about "no, it has to be 5".

Lumen83

Enlightened
That all having been said, if the general consensus is 15 lumens is a better task output, I don't feel very strongly about "no, it has to be 5".

Was there a reason behind the 5 instead of 15? Is 5 better suited toward its intended use, which seems tactical related in nature?

JJRG

Newly Enlightened
Was there a reason behind the 5 instead of 15? Is 5 better suited toward its intended use, which seems tactical related in nature?

Honestly when I spec'd it, all I said was low, and didn't give it further thought. So 5 is what the engineers put in. I'll actually focus some attention on it now.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think 15-20 lumens is far more useful than five. A five lumen light is good for looking around in a theater or really close up stuff but it's not something that I would want while say, changing a tire on the car or checking out someone who's asleep in their car but not necessarily a problem. I want to ID them...not make them think a nuclear bomb just detonated over their head.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Well since you put it that way.... 15 would be my pick since I likely wouldnt use it in a foxhole, but rather, to light for a photograph, taking out the trash or finding a crayon under the sofa.
PK designs his new multi setting stuff around 15 lumens and it's a very, very useable output when the battery absolutely, positively has to last until help arrives.

Last edited:

Dingle1911

Enlightened
Does anyone know if the Thrym Switchback will fit this light. Basically is the tailswitch the same size as the EB1T and EB2T?

moltenmag

Enlightened
I think 15-20 lumens is far more useful than five. A five lumen light is good for looking around in a theater or really close up stuff but it's not something that I would want while say, changing a tire on the car or checking out someone who's asleep in their car but not necessarily a problem. I want to ID them...not make them think a nuclear bomb just detonated over their head.

I use the 15 lumen low on my LX2 95% of the time. Great for daytime use too. I bought an EB1 with the 5 lumen low but sold it because 5 lumens wasn't bright enough for EDC. The 200 for close use was near suicide for my retinas! The 15 lumen output is the main thing that keeps the LX2 in my pocket time after time. Here's what I would create if I was surefire: 15 lumen low. 1200 lumen high. 18650 compatibility... mic drop.

Lumen83

Enlightened
Honestly when I spec'd it, all I said was low, and didn't give it further thought. So 5 is what the engineers put in. I'll actually focus some attention on it now.

Seems like you made an awesome light though. Love the return of the twisty two stage tail cap. Best UI, ever for me at least. Cool looking light too. I'm still really thinking about it. I just might need more juice on low.

JJRG

Newly Enlightened
Seems like you made an awesome light though. Love the return of the twisty two stage tail cap. Best UI, ever for me at least. Cool looking light too. I'm still really thinking about it. I just might need more juice on low.

It's going to be a bit before the low changes, if it does.