SUREFIRE EDCL-2T

JJRG

Newly Enlightened
I use the 15 lumen low on my LX2 95% of the time. Great for daytime use too. I bought an EB1 with the 5 lumen low but sold it because 5 lumens wasn't bright enough for EDC. The 200 for close use was near suicide for my retinas! The 15 lumen output is the main thing that keeps the LX2 in my pocket time after time. Here's what I would create if I was surefire: 15 lumen low. 1200 lumen high. 18650 compatibility... mic drop.

we'll see what happens. :)

Lumen83

Enlightened
It's going to be a bit before the low changes, if it does.

Thats what I figure. I'll try to figure out a way to check out the 1T to find out if the 5 is enough. If it is, I'll jump on it.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's interesting that the E2DCL-2T is sold as an "upgraded EB2" (according to official description) and yet it's only $179 compared to the $235 for the EB2.

Petersen

Newly Enlightened
Thats what I figure. I'll try to figure out a way to check out the 1T to find out if the 5 is enough. If it is, I'll jump on it.

even with newer higher output lights, I still use my old L1 , 1.1 Lumen output for most task around the house at night.

so would think 5 Lumen should be more than enough

so yes, I would get the 1T whenever it hit the local Gun store

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
To each his own, I guess.
I like the 15 lumen low on my LX2 and G2X-LE, like a general purpose mode.

Long shot, I know, but how about a 15/1000 lumen version of this EDCL-2T?
I'll gladly trade off 200 lumens for a bit more/or flatter runtime.

moltenmag

Enlightened

Agree with this. It would be like an LX2 on roids!

Crushmaster

Newly Enlightened

Agreed, those sound like a better output levels. Though with how nice the 3 lumen setting is on my old Outdoorsman CR123, 5 lumens is probably fine.

Love the return of the dual stage clicky. SureFire is getting me excited again.

Agile54

Newly Enlightened
When I get to a keyboard I'll do a more in-depth post. Long story short, I've been using the low setting on the EDCL-1T for months and not had any issue with it, and this is from cloudy moonless nights in the woods, to navigating dimly lit city streets, to looking under tables for my Daughter's crayons. The TIR head does a good job of doing a lot with a little, as others have noted.

As far as the WHY behind 1,200 lumens, it's excellent for controlling someone else's vision in a wide variety of lighting conditions/acting as a very benign use of force in ambiguous encounters. For those interested in that particular topic I'd suggest looking up Craig Douglas'/Shivworks concept of M.U.C. (Managing unknown contacts).

All depends what you're looking for and how you intend to utilize it.

Agreed & great to hear that an SME like Craig & his MUC concept were a factor in this lights development, BZ JJRG.

A close friend & recognized SME on the use of force known as DB (confidante of Ken Goode also), mentored me long ago & thus for years I've carried in my non-shooting hand an EAG (RIP Pat) 1000 lmm. Fury or an R1 Lawman EVERY time I'm out in low/no light situations. My 3 cell Fury or R1 can always double as an impact weapon first if things go south, seems I may need to pass the R1 onto my son & replace it w/ an EDCL-2T, time will tell.

Dingle1911

Enlightened
I think I am just going to order one to play with. It would be nice of it worked with the Thyrm Switchback. I also wonder if it will work with the K2 LiFPo batteries that SF sells.

JJRG

Newly Enlightened
Agreed & great to hear that an SME like Craig & his MUC concept were a factor in this lights development, BZ JJRG.

A close friend & recognized SME on the use of force known as DB (confidante of Ken Goode also), mentored me long ago & thus for years I've carried in my non-shooting hand an EAG (RIP Pat) 1000 lmm. Fury or an R1 Lawman EVERY time I'm out in low/no light situations. My 3 cell Fury or R1 can always double as an impact weapon first if things go south, seems I may need to pass the R1 onto my son & replace it w/ an EDCL-2T, time will tell.

Craig has been very good to me over the years and extremely generous with his time, as was Pat. I wish Pat could see the new scoutlight. 😕

Hudson456

Newly Enlightened
1200 lumens from 2xCR123 is WAY too power hungry. If it manages any sort of regulation the runtime will be 10 minutes. Chances are it will drop immediately to 600 something ish after 30 seconds. The whole thing seems silly.

I do like the TIR lens though, wonder what the Lux at 1 meter is.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both the EDCL-1T/2T will be new additions to the product line, available for actual purchase *very* soon as opposed to months from now. I've been carrying a pre-production prototype 1T for the last couple of months and have been pretty pleased. I'm biased though, as I spec'd both these lights.

Can you spec an Aviator Classic? Head-twist to select low/floody, (Nichia 3mm?) or high/throwy, (the "big gun") and two-stage tailcap for two-stage brightness control? The thing that made the original Aviator __great__ was the fact that both modes illuminated the same breadth, at two different ranges. I'd also dearly love the return of the Surefire az2-s, which was a great concept, but laughable at 120 lumens - I couldn't even justify the price on clearance, when I had a 1000 lumen triple-Nichia 283 light. But with two modes - bright and dim; controlled by head tension - and the two-stage tailcap, I'd drop $250 on it with … okay, I'd have to do a little saving, but if you could do 1000-1500 lumens at full blast…

I'm imagining 5/60 and 60/1200 modes for "camping" and "fighting", with the smaller being the diffuse low-power beam provided by the flood LEDs.

Edit: I just looked up the E2T-MV, and I think I'll be buying three lights from you this season. My hypothetical "super AZ2-S" seems to be a combination of the E2T-MV and the EDCL-2T, and I'd buy that too… but I want to own both of your two-cell lights of this season! :D. (The third one will be the Sidekick, which I'll get off my keister and finally buy)

Last edited: