SUREFIRE EDCL-2T

rjking

Enlightened
It would be interesting to see the output curve of the EDCL-1T.

Lumen83

Enlightened
So, I just got my first production EDCL-2T in hand (the cobbler's children have no shoes). The low setting is brighter than 5 lumens. I'll report back after I talk to engineering.

Fingers crossed the 1T is brighter too!

jasonelmagnifico

Newly Enlightened
After ~8 years of lurking, I do believe this is my first post:

Very excited about both the 1-T and 2-T..

YAY for the return of the two-stage switch. As close to the perfect UI for my needs/likes as there is. (No UI is perfect and preventing accidental "high" bursts on my trusty old LX2 has always been a problem, but double dog-damn if cycling through modes via tail switches or having to use both hands for head rotation drive me crazy).

My LX2 is a favorite backpacking light because I use a headlamp for most campsite / trail illumination but also prefer to have a throwy handheld to scout around for glowy eyeballs in the distance (Bigfoot, Boogeyman, etc.). My LX2 on a neck lanyard is easily accessible, reasonably small/lightweight, and for "only" 200 lumens really punches out there in the middle of the dark. Was excited about the LX2-Ultra and then...bleh. So a 1200 lumen punch has me more excited about a product release than I've been in a while. As for 5 vs. 15 lumens...meh...

Biggest drawback to the LX2 is that it was always too big for true unobtrusive EDC (refused to stay in my pocket when exiting car for one...) and so the mythical 1-cell was something I lusted for a long time. I bought one of the last 1-cell "T" switch uhh EB1's? (can't keep nomenclature straight in my head) but the unregulated run plus the ridiculously green tint couldn't justify holding on to it.

Tachikoma

Enlightened
Since I can't order from the SF website (they don't ship to Italy), can you guys point me to an Eu distributor that already has the 2t in stock?
Already tried eBay with no luck and don't know where else to look for...

claptrap

Newly Enlightened
Since I can't order from the SF website (they don't ship to Italy), can you guys point me to an Eu distributor that already has the 2t in stock?
Already tried eBay with no luck and don't know where else to look for...

I don't believe any distributors have this light in stock yet. I spoke with SF on the phone after ordering mine, and they said they're expecting stock on this light within the week.

Tachikoma

Enlightened
Got it, next week mass availability, thanks.
Since I haven't been active in the flashlight market lately I'm not so up to date on currant best stores,
for example I've just noticed Lighthound doesn't exist anymore, if one of you could PM me some EU shipping
enabled ones that stock all SF new models I'd be very glad :)

JJRG you work for SF right, or at least you've been using a 2t, can you tell us if it has
the same audible coil whine on low as the old l2 digital lumamax I had almost a decade ago?

JJRG

Newly Enlightened
yeah, the vendor I ordered from is also backordered so it was a glitch that allowed orders but no lights were there.

We had lights there, initial orders exceeded expectations was all. We're working to rectify it.

JJRG

Newly Enlightened
Got it, next week mass availability, thanks.
Since I haven't been active in the flashlight market lately I'm not so up to date on currant best stores,
for example I've just noticed Lighthound doesn't exist anymore, if one of you could PM me some EU shipping
enabled ones that stock all SF new models I'd be very glad :)

JJRG you work for SF right, or at least you've been using a 2t, can you tell us if it has
the same audible coil whine on low as the old l2 digital lumamax I had almost a decade ago?

I consult for them.

I haven't noticed any audible whine. I'll check here in a minute.

pipspeak

Enlightened
I use the 15 lumen low on my LX2 95% of the time. Great for daytime use too. I bought an EB1 with the 5 lumen low but sold it because 5 lumens wasn't bright enough for EDC. The 200 for close use was near suicide for my retinas! The 15 lumen output is the main thing that keeps the LX2 in my pocket time after time. Here's what I would create if I was surefire: 15 lumen low. 1200 lumen high. 18650 compatibility... mic drop.

Couldn't agree more. An LX2 with even 600 lumens on high plus 18650 support would be a damn-near perfect light (mainly thanks to that genius tailcap switch). Sadly the new EDCL range looks like one step forward, one step back, instead of two steps forward.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Couldn't agree more. An LX2 with even 600 lumens on high plus 18650 support would be a damn-near perfect light (mainly thanks to that genius tailcap switch). Sadly the new EDCL range looks like one step forward, one step back, instead of two steps forward.

My knowledge on circuits is limited and probably outdated, but depending on the Vf of the LED, wouldn't that require a buck-boost circuit which is less efficient than a buck only circuit?

Last edited:

claptrap

Newly Enlightened
This is purely anecdotal, but I've had an 18650 fail during use. I've never had that experience with cr123 primaries. While my experience of battery failure is rare; It's possible SF wants to minimize the risk in their tactical lights. So between the (real or imagined) reliability issues, increased tube diameter and changes in operating current, I think it's likely that SF doesn't consider 18650 compatibility to be a necessary feature.
I do look forward to an 18650 compatible SF light with the two stage tactical tail cap though. I would probably buy a half-dozen and call it a day.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Those 16650's are getting pretty good...
Just sayin'.

I'd much rather use a cell that fits proper instead of some oversize tube that lets the primaries all bounce around at the connection(s). Only advantage I see with oversize barrels is that a 2 cell magazine fits, so precious seconds are saved swapping out the batteries. Kinda like reloading semi automatic with a clip, instead of a revolver one at a time. .

I use rechargeables in a few of my edc tactical lights until failure is not an option... then the primaries go in.

Last edited:

Jose Marin

Enlightened

700 lumen malkoff head with 50ish lumen low and 16650 support 1hr regulated runtime on high. It's gona be hard for sf to top my lego imo.

6iRAsNe.jpg

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
700 lumen malkoff head with 50ish lumen low and 16650 support 1hr regulated runtime on high. It's gona be hard for sf to top my lego imo.

Definitely, that's one awesome Lego.
I've been eyeing off the E2S, E2T and E2ST for an E2E body but the 2 stage tailcap of the LX2 coupled with that head would be hard to beat.