Surefire EDCL1-T

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found the 15 lumen low of the LX2 too high for me. I sold mine. Maybe Surefire lumens are even higher than the stated 15. I cant measure lumens but I am looking forward to these new lights. 5 lumen low on some of my other lights is perfect.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do like a highest possible high mode and usually only need it for a really short time to check something out at a distance, so I prefer the way it is done with a burst mode that pushes the light extra hard for a short while. However, I wish this could be part of the official specs like some other brands do, so that you both know the burst time and output and the continous high output and runtime, or even better would be to show runtime curves. I would also like to see candela ratings for the different modes as part of the official specifications on the webpage.

Jeff S.

Newly Enlightened
I had written-off Surefire when the LX1 never came to fruition, despite being advertised in their catalog and listed on various websites. Nothing from Surefire has sparked an interest in me for quite some time, yet suddenly they're making a bunch of exciting lights.

The EDCL1-T is exactly what I'm looking for in a Surefire light: relatively small (1 cell), easily carried, extremely bright, and an easily accessible max (no double clicks; no thinking). I also like the new price schemes. $165 for a flashlight is still really expensive, but it's at least a little more down-to-earth than $210. I think they'll catch a lot more fish with the better pricing.

My EDC light is an HDS Systems 140 219a. It's about as practical and utilitarian as a light can get. Great spacing that is also customizable, and great color rendering. I am personally fine with the 140 lumen max, but I was humbled a bit the other night during a night shoot... that's lead me to wanted a simple, super bright light. The HDS and EDCL-1 would make a great duo.

JJRG

Newly Enlightened
A hint of what to come? Is this in the pipeline or under development?

The current crop of lights went from whiteboard doodles, to release, in under six months. There's all sorts of things that are on *my* (I'm not the one with final say) agenda that I'd love to see happen. So, we'll see.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don´t think we will ever agree on what is the right low mode, however I think it is wrong to discuss lumens, for me it is the lux that matters. If you have dark adapted eyes and it is pitch dark, then you don´t need much light before it gets too much at close distance, but in an urban environment with street lights and no dark adapted eyes, then I would probably like something like 2000 lux on low. I don´t know how many lumens that equals on the EDCL1-T, 80 lumens maybe?

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I, too, am pleased with the lights that SF is putting on the table now. Though I didn't order this light, it was this thread that made me today order the E1B MV.

It's good to be be excited about Surefire flashlights again!

SoCalDep

Newly Enlightened
I've been waiting for the release of this light and I'm excited to get it. I checked my email waiting for the Monday release to see if it would be today and then realized I left my Surefire coupon code at home. So I ordered it tonight. I'll also probably end up with the EDCL2-T and an XC-1B... and probably a Tactician as well. This is the Surefire I want to see...

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I quite like my stock EB1 and E1DL, I don't mind the jump from 300 lumens to 5 but I do think that 15 is a better general use level for EDC particularly so with a 500 plus lumen high (I tend to switch between using them on E2E bodies with 16650 and their original bodies) but I do like the idea of bringing back the L(X) tail caps. I'll be interested to read opinions on them once they're out and about.
I think it'll be hard to top the Malkoff E2ST leggo's I've seen on the forum though, particularly the LX2 body combo cranking out 20 000 lux with 650 at turn on and 550 sustained lumens for an hour on a 16650.

Last edited:

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the main reasons I've shifted away from LED's is just as you say, the bright is just to stinking bright. The E2D (excellent product, for sure) seems ridiculous, this is essentially that with a different UI in a shorter form. These are tactical lights though, just as Surefires always have been. I would bet for an operator the mode spacing is excellent; from read a map up close to blind a perp bright. Yeager's light seems to be better suited to split duty between EDCers and armed professionals. It's unlikely they'll make a single-cell length version though.

I think you're right for the most part and that's why I'd like to see them make this EDC light more EDC general use like I described than pretty much another small tactical light much like the current EB1 and E1DL but with a move back to the twisty/momentary UI and brighter LED.
I personally think that the EB1 and E1DL make a better tactical light unless the twisty/momentary is high only rather than having to push past low to high.
I'm not saying that what they're doing is bad, just that they have other lights that did and currently do what this light offers so why not make this one with a nice tint and CRI with more reasonable lumen to runtime ratio.
Don't get me wrong as I think the new lights look great, I'd just like to see them break the mold with this one a little. I'm sure a heap of professionals and otherwise would love this light with a neutral high CRI LED and around 15 low 200 high.

Last edited:

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also assume there will be an EDCL1-C in the future. When the EB1 and EB2 came out there were also two versions available. If I remember correctly they were named EB1-C and EB1-T (Clicky and two stage twisty version). At all the pricing of the new EDCLx-C is very interesting. The EB1 and EB2 were expensive if I remember that correctly, the price was >200USD.

At all the EDCL1 is noting really new, but after SF shrinked the flashlight lineup ~2 years (?) ago it is good to see they remmber their roots. :thumbsup:

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
::shrug:: depends on intended use, market, and what EDC means to you. I will say, these lights are designed specifically for people that carry a gun as part of their day to day life, and specifically for managing unknown contacts (as discussed in the EDCL-2T thread). They'll keep improving, and overall I'm happy with the new stuff we've got on the way.

I get that this is why this light is the way it is and not the way I may like it to be.
The above applies as much to the EB1 and E1DL as it does to the new EDC model with the L(X) UI and brighter LED regarding people that carry a gun as part of their EDC.
I look at it this way, a hybrid of the LX2 and EB1/E1DL with a brighter LED.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
At all the EDCL1 is noting really new, but after SF shrinked the flashlight lineup ~2 years (?) ago it is good to see they remmber their roots. :thumbsup:

Pretty much this.
Nothing wrong with that, at that.
Bringing back the twisty momentary two stage thing coupled with a brighter LED.
I'm fixating a little on the EDC moniker, to me the EB1 and E1DL etc etc etc are as much in the same EDC boat as this EDC labeled light.

Petersen

Newly Enlightened
Funny you mention user programmable.

so we finally would see this,,, WOW it's only been 6 years (2012 Catalog) since this was "promised"

LX2 Ultra , EB1, UM2 Ultra, ZM2 , DM2 ect... ect

Quote : "All SureFire flashlights are pre-programmed to optimize output and runtime for specific applications fromcombat to police work (both tactical and administrative) as well as outdoor and everyday-carry uses. New
for 2012, any SureFire light identified by a "programmable" icon can now be custom programmed by the user
via a new SF programming dongle that's easy to use. You set the precise output/runtime balance that's right
for you. Just connect the dongle to your computer via its USB port, set the output levels using the software,
and then position your light—bezel down—on top of it to complete user programming. Light from the dongle
will literally flash into the flashlight's optic and re-program the output levels to the parameters you defined."

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
so we finally would see this,,, WOW it's only been 6 years (2012 Catalog) since this was "promised"

Quote : "All SureFire flashlights are pre-programmed to optimize output and runtime for specific applications fromcombat to police work (both tactical and administrative) as well as outdoor and everyday-carry uses. New
for 2012, any SureFire light identified by a "programmable" icon can now be custom programmed by the user
via a new SF programming dongle that's easy to use. You set the precise output/runtime balance that's right
for you. Just connect the dongle to your computer via its USB port, set the output levels using the software,
and then position your light—bezel down—on top of it to complete user programming. Light from the dongle
will literally flash into the flashlight's optic and re-program the output levels to the parameters you defined."

Yes we never forget [emoji4]

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad Surefire is putting all the features I've wanted into one light. The switch from the LX2; knurling and color of the E2D/E1D; toothless bezel of the EB1/EB2. I'd personally sacrifice runtime on low for 15-25 lumens, but that's just nitpicking. As a CCW/EDC light, it fits the bill nicely.

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
::shrug:: depends on intended use, market, and what EDC means to you. I will say, these lights are designed specifically for people that carry a gun as part of their day to day life, and specifically for managing unknown contacts (as discussed in the EDCL-2T thread). They'll keep improving, and overall I'm happy with the new stuff we've got on the way.
This right here!

JJRG

Newly Enlightened

1. I think I can come up with something a little better than that.
2. Show me on this doll where 2012 Surefire hurt you. 😜 (joke)