Surefire EDCL1-T

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, I have an E1D and using up primaries sucks, so I got a Fenix 16340 after seeing HKJ's review(700+ actual mAh).
Hopefully the EDCL-1T can take lithium ion too.

I'm even thinking a lego with the 500 lumen EDCL-1T head, and the 2AA body of the old E2L-AA.
That would be nice. :)

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, I have an E1D and using up primaries sucks, so I got a Fenix 16340 after seeing HKJ's review(700+ actual mAh).
Hopefully the EDCL-1T can take lithium ion too.

I'm even thinking a lego with the 500 lumen EDCL-1T head, and the 2AA body of the old E2L-AA.
That would be nice. :)

I use a single primary for work but I know what you mean.
The Fenix 16340 are great, best I've used so far.
I've always wanted an E2L-AA body, that would definitely make a good lego.
Surely they can take a Liion like past recent single CR123 models, would be disappointing for some if they don't.

JJRG

Newly Enlightened
I wanted this light a lot but I decided I didn't really need it, so I decided to wait and see. But today I found a 30% off coupon code for surefire.com and decided that, at that price, I had no choice but to take the plunge. The code appears to no longer be valid, so please don't barrage me with PMs!

Anyway, I'm pretty excited for the EDCL1-T. The HDS is by far my most preferred 1xCR123 light, but the Surefire 1xCR123 lights are what got me started in this game and I'll always have a soft spot for them.

FWIW, there's a 30% off code that you can pretty much use whenever that gets broadcast on Ballistic Radio each week.

Petersen

Newly Enlightened
1. I think I can come up with something a little better than that.
2. Show me on this doll where 2012 Surefire hurt you. 😜 (joke)

:thumbsup: will stay tuned.... plz make it with the 2 stage TC, as this is my favorite UI ,, never liked the on/off/onoff clickie ,, is too annoying for my taste..
that's why my old L1 / A2 and L2 (L2 not so much as the TC is bad) get's most use........

dcowboyscr

Newly Enlightened
Greenwood(Indianapolis), Indiana & Orlando, Florid
I'm super excited about the EDCL1-T. Ordered one yesterday and had to change the shipping on my order so I called Surefire and was told the light is backordered until 12/30. Oh well, I've waited years I can wait another few weeks lol. I'm glad the 2-stage switch is back. Nothing against the clicky switch lights but I vastly prefer the 2 stage "gas pedal" LX2 style switch over clickies for my uses.

Two things, I hope all future lights that use the clicky to change modes are timed to 1 second and not 2 seconds anymore. My old E1B was 2 seconds and I hated it but the newer lights at 1 second intervals are perfect tactically.

I sometimes CCW and appreciate the design/lumen levels of the EDCL1-T at 500/5. I wouldn't mind seeing a 15 lumen low however. Also, Surefire should consider producing a variant of the EDCL1-T with a long running flat regulation 200 lumen high and 15 lumen low. That would be the perfect overall EDC light.

Last edited:

badbs101

Newly Enlightened
Placed my order today using the "Ballistic Radio" coupon. Pretty good deal with the coupon but they added in state sales tax :mad:

Don't know when it will ship...

I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces. I'm guessing it will be a battery hog but I'm a sucker for a small (one cell) tactical light.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll wait for a -C (clicky) version to appear. Two hand UI is a no go for me. (Here goes garbage text to overcome stupid "message too short" restriction)

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll wait for a -C (clicky) version to appear. Two hand UI is a no go for me. (Here goes garbage text to overcome stupid "message too short" restriction)

Who's using two hands?

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm super excited about the EDCL1-T. Ordered one yesterday and had to change the shipping on my order so I called Surefire and was told the light is backordered until 12/30. Oh well, I've waited years I can wait another few weeks lol. I'm glad the 2-stage switch is back. Nothing against the clicky switch lights but I vastly prefer the 2 stage "gas pedal" LX2 style switch over clickies for my uses.

Two things, I hope all future lights that use the clicky to change modes are timed to 1 second and not 2 seconds anymore. My old E1B was 2 seconds and I hated it but the newer lights at 1 second intervals are perfect tactically.

I sometimes CCW and appreciate the design/lumen levels of the EDCL1-T at 500/5. I wouldn't mind seeing a 15 lumen low however. Also, Surefire should consider producing a variant of the EDCL1-T with a long running flat regulation 200 lumen high and 15 lumen low. That would be the perfect overall EDC light.

Yeah the long interval time sucked, the new EB1/E1D short 1 second or less reset is great.
As much as I like a clicky I'm happy to see the two stage press/twist return, it's pretty awesome.
I agree with your ideas on output for an EDC type role.

Last edited:

dcowboyscr

Newly Enlightened
Greenwood(Indianapolis), Indiana & Orlando, Florid
I was thinking about it, my perfect EDC/TACTICAL light would be an EDCL1-T with a low of 15 lumens and a high of 500 lumens "burst output" for the first couple minutes its used but with the light somehow sensing if it was being used in a constant on state and after a 2-3 minutes of being constantly on, adjusting brightness down to say a flat regulated 200 lumens until it was turned off and on again. That way you could still use it in a tactical function 500 lumens, have 15 lumens for 90% of EDC tasks and in effect have a built in medium level of 150-200 lumens of flat regulation say if you needed to do something long term that required more than 15 lumens but not as much as 500 lumens and more runtime.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking about it, my perfect EDC/TACTICAL light would be an EDCL1-T with a low of 15 lumens and a high of 500 lumens "burst output" for the first couple minutes its used but with the light somehow sensing if it was being used in a constant on state and after a 2-3 minutes of being constantly on, adjusting brightness down to say a flat regulated 200 lumens until it was turned off and on again. That way you could still use it in a tactical function 500 lumens, have 15 lumens for 90% of EDC tasks and in effect have a built in medium level of 150-200 lumens of flat regulation say if you needed to do something long term that required more than 15 lumens but not as much as 500 lumens and more runtime.

Spot on!!!
That's how I would want mine.

We are a tough bunch to please, aren't we, JJRG? :)
Honestly, I am hapoy enough with what I'm hearing here.

Jose Marin

Enlightened
Yeah my lx2's and 6p's i have no problem twisting constant on with one hand. I guess maybe if youre missing thumbs i can see needing 2 hands.

Jose Marin

Enlightened
Yeah the long interval time sucked, the new EB1/E1D short 1 second or less reset is great.
As much as I like a clicky I'm happy to see the two stage press/twist return, it's pretty awesome.
I agree with your ideas on output for an EDC type role.

Amen on that less than 1 second reset time on the eb1/e1d, it is perfect. Just wish the eb2/e2d had the same, they are more like 3 seconds unfortunately. The e1b mv isnt the same either, it will hit high twice if you click it too fast but eh i think sometime im too picky lol

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're using two hands then you don't know how to use it!

I may explain why I don't like twisty UI. First of all I have simulated it with a Fury (switch is on, cap untwisted). Even with silicone grease applied the tail cap is tight enough to not make positive and precise contact every time. Sometimes I get unreliable connection with a blinking light (this is why I need two hands) — not so nice.

Next point — a clip of the EDCL1-T does touch a tail cap. As a result of many twists the tail cap will gain an ugly circular scratch on its surface — not so nice.

One more issue: aluminum is not the best example of wear resistance. With time a tail cap will gain too much play to either untwist loose or to make a contact just being in a pocket — not so nice as well.

Perhaps, these issues do not bother others, but they make difference to me. I'd like the Fury UI much more.