Surefire EDCL1-T

bubbatime

Newly Enlightened
I have a tactical background. This light is the light I have been waiting for.

As to the complaints about 5 lumens, I'm opposite. This is a tactical flashlight. I want bright as the sun on high, and a 2 to 3 lumen navigation light on low. This light is for identifying threats, and navigating stealthily.

I can certainly understand that the vast majority of flashlight enthusiast just like to light up the night and don't have a care or concern about the tactical design or application of this light.

My 4 flats A2 aviator incan is the most perfect tactical light in my eyes. Minus the 60 lumens. But the knurling and grip are perfect, as is the 3 lumen low, and gas pedal 2 stage tailcap.

Glad to see Surefire back.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
14-15k candela, is my wild *** guess.
The 500 lumen E2DL-U was around that figure, IIRC.

EDCL-1T shouldn't be far off.
The EDCL-2T should be awesome. Probably around 25k.

badbs101

Newly Enlightened
Although I'm very interested in this light, I probably won't get one. I prefer click for on. I rarely (read never) find myself in a tactical situation where momentary would be beneficial to me. I do, however, find myself walking the dog at night regularly. It gets cold up here in the north and having to fiddle with a twist-on light while wearing heavy gloves is a non-starter for me. I need the light to click on and stay on while I'm bending over to pick up a turd.

After considerable thought, I've decided that maybe this light will work for me. Despite being the first to come out against it, I think I may end up ordering one of these soon. I really like my E1b MV's size and quality, despite having a poor run time. I assume this light has similar quality and size.

I realize the beam type is completely different but I like that this light comes on low first (with a light press) and will likely use less battery power overall as it will be easier to use low. I also like that high is just as easily accessible with a firm press. Win Win,. It may not be my primary dog walking light, but I can see it fulfilling a utilitarian role around the house with the potential for much more at the (firm) press of a button.

I get it now.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem I see with this light besides the too low low is the too high high. 500 lumens in a single cr123 cell. Besides short runtime there will definitely be some very quick timed Stepdown. You'll never see the 500 lumens except for a few seconds. Why not make it 250 lumens with full regulation? That I'd buy

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
The problem I see with this light besides the too low low is the too high high. 500 lumens in a single cr123 cell. Besides short runtime there will definitely be some very quick timed Stepdown. You'll never see the 500 lumens except for a few seconds. Why not make it 250 lumens with full regulation? That I'd buy
Because, like Bubba said, it's geared towards a tactical audience. For me, as a self defense/use-with-weapon light it's absolutely perfect. 500 blinding lumens to use with a pistol or to disorient someone. A low of 5 lumens to simply see where you're going when you're creeping through your house at night to investigate a sound.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see that I guess but call it something else than an escape light. It's just disappointing when hey bring back the 2 stage tailcap with this light. Oh well it is neat and I'm sure it's perfect for many users

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast

The older LX2 may be what you are looking for. Lower high and higher low.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'll probably purchase one after the new year. I wanna play with the "2" for a while first. The EB1c still makes me giggle like a schoolboy who heard the teacher say "butt"...:naughty: so I'm in no hurry.

Last edited:

JohnSmith

Enlightened
I wanted this light a lot but I decided I didn't really need it, so I decided to wait and see. But today I found a 30% off coupon code for surefire.com and decided that, at that price, I had no choice but to take the plunge. The code appears to no longer be valid, so please don't barrage me with PMs!

Anyway, I'm pretty excited for the EDCL1-T. The HDS is by far my most preferred 1xCR123 light, but the Surefire 1xCR123 lights are what got me started in this game and I'll always have a soft spot for them.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
14-15k candela, is my wild *** guess.
The 500 lumen E2DL-U was around that figure, IIRC.

EDCL-1T shouldn't be far off.
The EDCL-2T should be awesome. Probably around 25k.

I reckon you might be a bit optimistic.
My guess is they're using an XPL rather than XPL HI?
I'm thinking around 15K for the 2T and 8K for the 1T? Basically what the current offerings have but with more lumens which isn't a bad thing.
No way either will beat the EB1 I just modded with a neutral tinted XPG2 on copper running 2.8A, it throws like a beast although I'm down tuning my next mods to 2.2A for a bit of extra runtime on 16650 (E2E body).

Last edited:

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I reckon you might be a bit optimistic.
My guess is they're using an XPL rather than XPL HI?
I'm thinking around 15K for the 2T and 8K for the 1T? Basically what the current offerings have but with more lumens which isn't a bad thing.
No way either will beat the EB1 I just modded with a neutral tinted XPG2 on copper running 2.8A, it throws like a beast although I'm down tuning my next mods to 2.2A for a bit of extra runtime on 16650 (E2E body).

Well, the 300 lumen EB1 already does 9k and the 600 lumen E2DL-U already does 16.5K.

But we'll see.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the 300 lumen EB1 already does 9k and the 600 lumen E2DL-U already does 16.5K.

But we'll see.

Yeah that's what I was saying, my guess is that they'll have similar throw. Maybe they'll have a bit more but I don't think it'll be much?
I'm pretty sure they're using an XPL and upping the current over past lights. If they are actually using XPL HI they might get close to your guess?

I'll be interested to read of results for output and how many amps these lights pull, also would be happy to hear of reasonable tints too.
My E1DL had a decent tint on high and acceptable low while my EB1 had a cooler but quite nice high with a distracting green low (both 300 lumen versions) so both lows are more ugly than the high even with the PWM on low.

Last edited:

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd personnaly be happy with 10k and 16k candela for the two versions, that would be more throw that I'd ever really need and would result in a big ,useful hotspot and more spill.
As for current, no doubt these would be pushing CR123s to their limits.
I'd stick to fresh, brand name cells for the two cell version.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd personnaly be happy with 10k and 16k candela for the two versions, that would be more throw that I'd ever really need and would result in a big ,useful hotspot and more spill.
As for current, no doubt these would be pushing CR123s to their limits.
I'd stick to fresh, brand name cells for the two cell version.

I reckon you're probably about right with those figures and beam description.
I'd say you're also right about these lights pushing CR123 to the limit. Hopefully they'll run well on LiIon. My favourite configuration with stock EB1/E1DL is on an E2E body with a 16650.