SureFire G2D-FYL

lolzertank

Enlightened
Re: Surefire G2D-FYL

Because 1 Surefire lumen is less than 1 Fenix lumen. Surefire always underrates their lights, while Fenix sometimes overrates and sometimes gets it just about right.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Because 1 Surefire lumen is less than 1 Fenix lumen. Surefire always underrates their lights, while Fenix sometimes overrates and sometimes gets it just about right.

Exactly, its probably like the E2DL, rated at 120 but closer to 180-200 ish...and they might still update the numbers like they did the LX2

jchoo

Enlightened

I love it, and the UI is perfect for it's intended use - as a helmet mountable light for fire fighters and other rescue personnel. When you're on scene, you don't care about momentary illumination - you just want to pick your mode (usually high, so just one click will do it) and get down to business. If you're using the light as a hand-held to do vehicle checks, patient evaluation, or just for general scene illumination (aka don't wheel the stretcher that way, it's muddy/rocky/full of dog mess/whatever), you can afford to take the time to tap once/twice before you click. I think this may replace my 2 level E2L on my duty nights.

Oh, and it's very nice to see Surefire making intrinsically safe lights... for too long, Pelican has really been the only game in town for firefighters.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

I hope its available soon. I'm going to order this and a G2L, then switch bodies and put the other one up for sale at the Marketplace as a G2L-FYL since thats what it will be....

jchoo

Enlightened

I don't think that will be entirely ethical, as the G2L head is not part of the intrinsically safe G2L-FYD... plus the filters/beamshapers are part of the G2L-FYD package and they won't be there (since they seem to be part of the head itself).

Illum

Flashaholic

Will this light be compatible with any malkoff dropins, I noticed from the pictures that it utilizes a kX3 head.

why do people assume that surefire LED heads could possibly be used with Malkoff dropins, if it doesn't use P60 lamps in its stock form, chances are its not going to be compatible:shrug:

this is odd, why G2D-FYL...why now after the catalogs were out...and why this color combo?

And whats with the G2L-FYL and G3L-FYL ?
They are both single stage, 80 lumens, with the G3L having 100% more 'tactical runtime' but only $10 more expensive....

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

Well I like the idea. Time to see when I can buy one. :crazy: I would love to buy just a 3 cell head and run it on a 2X18650 Leef body.

I doubt it's Nitrolon. It'll be the Xenoy like on my G3L-FYL.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't think that will be entirely ethical, as the G2L head is not part of the intrinsically safe G2L-FYD... plus the filters/beamshapers are part of the G2L-FYD package and they won't be there (since they seem to be part of the head itself).​

I guess I should've clarified that I would most certainly state in the ad what I had done...

Anyone want to guess what they think what the true output on high would be? It has the same runtime on high as the LX2 (2hrs) so I'm guessing it would be upwards of 200 actual lumens?

GreySave

Enlightened

BigD64:

I may have asked this before so I apologize if I am repeating the question. How does the reflectored beam in tight configuration compare to the TIR of a E2DL or LX2 (Or similar TIR SureFire).

General Comment: Also noticed that on SureFire's web site the 45 lumen run time of the two cell version is considerable longer than the three cell. I am guessing that they accidentally transposed the figures between the two lights.

On the UI.....It may not be suited to everyone's tastes, but perhaps the safety ratings explain part of the reason why a particular UI was chosen? If nothing else it probably helps keep the price lower for those who truly need it for what they do. I must admit that as a light designed for fire / EMS I think I would like to see a choice between starting on high or low power, even if that meant two models. Firefighters might prefer starting on high while EMS might prefer a low power start.

Paul5M

Newly Enlightened

Nice and chunky :thumbsup:
What I really want is an E2L with 40/200 lumens ;)

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I respectfully, but completely disagree with your opinion. The reason is because the companies that came out with multi level could not at the time make a reliable forward clickie. I have switched all my multimode lights to momentary forward clickies making them far more attractive to use. Or sold the ones I can't change. Reverse clickies have the exact same 'problem' you descibe just in reverse. You bump the switch while on the level you want and oops, different level. That is not better, just different - or worse for those of us with control of our finger for the 3 seconds I'm pressing momentary (what momentary is for...). I prefer to select the level I want, then click it on knowing it will stay there if bumped for a partial depress of the switch. Or just press for a silent few seconds of light - impossible with reverse clickies.
There's a reason why multi-output lights from other companies use a reverse-clickie, and why Surefire's U2 with its forward-clickie relies on a selector ring.

If you use the momentary function on such a light, hope your thumb can maintain constant, direct, pressure. Cause if it can't, the light will go out. You'll instinctively apply pressure the moment the light goes out, and look at that... now you're getting either too much or too little light for the task you need to complete.
That KX3 looks awesome, but what about the beam????? <edit> looks like a "micro-textured" reflector.

Last edited:

Scotty007

Newly Enlightened

Me want one...3 cell version, of course...

Well....you're in luck, there is a 3 cell version of the G2D...its the G3D-FYL!! looks like the same output levels but a longer runtime...but only for the high and low settings...thats weird...the medium setting actually runs for less time in the G3D...:thinking:

Monocrom

Flashaholic

I respectfully, but completely disagree with your opinion. The reason is because the companies that came out with multi level could not at the time make a reliable forward clickie. I have switched all my multimode lights to momentary forward clickies making them far more attractive to use. Or sold the ones I can't change. Reverse clickies have the exact same 'problem' you descibe just in reverse. You bump the switch while on the level you want and oops, different level.

Perhaps not being able to come up with a reliable forward-clickie is one reason, but not the only one. With a reverse-clickie, the only momentary feature you get is momentary-off. That's not something that'll come in handy to a lot of folks. Since a dedicated press of the switch is needed to switch output levels, you don't get the same type of momentary "Oops" that you do with a forward-clickie.

Since there's no momentary-on feature with a reverse-clickie, there's no reason for someone to keep their thumb on the switch; once they have reached the output level they want. No danger of accidentally going into the wrong mode.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well....you're in luck, there is a 3 cell version of the G2D...its the G3D-FYL!! looks like the same output levels but a longer runtime...but only for the high and low settings...thats weird...the medium setting actually runs for less time in the G3D...:thinking:

Yeah, not sure what's up with that...could be a snafu on the their part...but, I definitely prefer the 3 cell SF's over the 2 cell one's, even if you lose some out-put, the longer plateau makes up for it for my needs.

As far as issues' with the clickie, as long as high comes on first, I'll swap it with a nitrolon twisty. Any know the order? High-Med-Low, or Low-Med-High?

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've had one for about 6 months. I also have the 3 cell version. Surefire 115 lumen rating is close by eye to my Fenix TK11 on turbo. The KX3 head on the prototype was a tiny bit beefier. UI is simple 3 light level a 1 second pause before clicking in desired level. Great light for EMT's and Rescue.

How is the beam tint (cool/neutral/warm)? Does it appear to use a Seoul or Cree emitter?

Also, where did you get it? I'm not seeing any dealers online other than Surefire.com.

Yeah, not sure what's up with that...could be a snafu on the their part...but, I definitely prefer the 3 cell SF's over the 2 cell one's, even if you lose some out-put, the longer plateau makes up for it for my needs.

As far as issues' with the clickie, as long as high comes on first, I'll swap it with a nitrolon twisty. Any know the order? High-Med-Low, or Low-Med-High?
It appears to be high-med-low.

Thanks,
Robert

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Drats. Surefire won't be shipping these to dealer, gotta buy it straight from them. Oh well....

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

A question: why this light runs for 2h on high (115 lumens to 50%) and the PD30 outputs 220 lumens for 1.5h?
If you read the whole thread you'll learn that a member already said the actual output is very close to the Fenix TK11 on Turbo. SureFire lumens is not like Chinese lumens.