SureFire M6 rechargeable options – SHOOTOUT (Part 2)

Illum

Flashaholic
The WA 1111 with 2x18650 in mdocod's holder is a very good combination. You get more run-time, and it's easier on the cells. The only downside is the WA 1111 is $9, vs. the WA 1185 at $5.

I don't know what charger you are using for your 17670s, but the 18650s will be fine in that. The charge time will just be a little longer.

I'm using the DSD charger from Lighthound. While it states "18650" as part of their compatibility its quite a snug fit both linearly and horizontally for 2x17670s...I'm not sure how a 2x18560 could possibly fit.

WA1111 draws 3.6 amps...my goodness, it makes me wonder why Surefire designed the MN21 to draw 5 amps...:candle:
the comparison looks good:wave:

Illum

Flashaholic
It's time for you to upgrade to a Pila IBC!

yep..I just read hitthespot's review and now is looking around for one for a little less than $50

MOs don't arrive from sales, I have no money:ohgeez:

I wonder...for this particular beamshot, did you use Pila or AW 18650s?
I figured I'd just order pila cells along with the charger and be done with it:)

jslappa

Enlightened
Illum,

Now that AW is offering the new 2600mAh 18650's, you'll get an added 400mAh over the Pila's. I just ordered the Pila IBC for $45. I have a bunch of unprotected 18650's that I haven't had the cajones to use yet. Now I'll feel safe using them with the Pila charger.

brammalay

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to get IMR-M6 setup with 3x17670, do you think it is safe to leave the light on for a long period possibly run it down from full to the cut off? Also what will the runtime like on that setup? I have afew ultrafire 17670 that I have been using for a while. I think they are not bad for price and reliability.
Any help will be excellent :) good on ya CPF greeting from Aussie :twothumbs

DM51

Flashaholic
Lumens Factory warn not to use the IMR series of LAs with ordinary LiCo (Li-Ion) cells, and you do it at your own risk.

It's not a very good idea to run cells right down to the low-voltage cut-off, but if you do that you might get ~25 mins run-time. Don't expect the full 1,000 lumens out of the LA with those cells, though.

Illum

Flashaholic
Lumens Factory warn not to use the IMR series of LAs with ordinary LiCo (Li-Ion) cells, and you do it at your own risk.

It's not a very good idea to run cells right down to the low-voltage cut-off, but if you do that you might get ~25 mins run-time. Don't expect the full 1,000 lumens out of the LA with those cells, though.

IMR-M6 using (3 x IMR RCR123A): ~9 min
9 min = 0.15 hours, IMR-RCR123A = 550mah
550/.15 = 3666.66ma or about 3.7 amps, for an ordinary 17670 that would be 3700/1600 = 2.3C...so its around the same current draw as an 1185 and just about the same runtime.:whistle:

but 2.3C is simply brutal on the cells:ohgeez:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I believe the IMR-M6 bulb was quoted as drawing 3.0A whereas the 1185 draws 3.2A+

Regular protected LiCo cells will be fine if the LF bulb draw can be verified. I just wouldn't use those ultrafire cells though. Either use IMR cells or use a quality AW protected LiCo cell.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I love your useful rankings in all the pertinent categories, and the overall summary icons. This is the thread that had me finally get into a light that held no justifiable interest beforehand.

By the way, I think I see The Virgin Mary in one of those Integrating Tree shots. ðððððð :wave:

OscarTheDog

Enlightened
DM51 Thanks For this thread its outstanding. It helps a FNG like myself figure out what to do with my M6 so many options :thumbsup:

OTD

junmae

Newly Enlightened
does anyone know if I could use this battery charging system?

[eBay link removed - DM51]

I was just wondering, how long does the 1185 bulb last with the 17670 batteries?

Last edited by a moderator:

DM51

Flashaholic
does anyone know if I could use this battery charging system?

[eBay link removed - DM51]

I was just wondering, how long does the 1185 bulb last with the 17670 batteries?
1. The charger you linked is available more cheaply from AW and other sources.
2. Buying batteries on eBay is very unwise.
3. Runtime of a WA1185 with 3x17670s has been posted in this thread and elsewhere.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi DM51,:wave:

I wanted to personally Thank You for creating such a Valuable and Informative thread . My wallet's not thanking you, but I sure am:D:crackup:. I never really wanted a M6 until I found this thread (I'm a rechargeable kind of guy), I now have 2 and counting.:thanks:

Best Wishes,
Steve

junmae

Newly Enlightened
is it safe/worth to do this? I heard the warranty doesn't cover you anymore once you mod your light. I really want to do it but I'm not sure if its worth losing lifetime warranty :/

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
is it safe/worth to do this? I heard the warranty doesn't cover you anymore once you mod your light. I really want to do it but I'm not sure if its worth losing lifetime warranty :/

In long term you will have to spend more for primary cells and genuine bulbs than value of warranty.

junmae

Newly Enlightened
:D need to save money for another m6 to mod XD. I kinda wanna keep my first m6 cherry especially since it is the style I prefer more (the light cren. bezel) Modding seems like lotta fun too :) thanks for the quick replies!

lebox97

Enlightened
ummm keeping your M6 cherry won't save you money...
it'll cost you 6 primary 123 cells for every 15 +/- minutes of use (using HOLA MN21)... :broke:

this is why many of us have gone the re-chargeable route for "guilt free" and less expensive use.
longer run times and brighter output is just a by-product of saving money :devil:

:D need to save money for another m6 to mod XD. I kinda wanna keep my first m6 cherry especially since it is the style I prefer more (the light cren. bezel) Modding seems like lotta fun too :) thanks for the quick replies!

Patriot

Flashaholic

The mods discussed in this thread are all reversible. In the most straight forward examples you're exchanging the bulb and battery pack...easy to switch back in 30 seconds. In no way does this devalue your M6.