SureFire M6 rechargeable options – SHOOTOUT (Part 2)

DM51

Flashaholic
There's no "best", really - it's a matter of personal preference. Power (i.e. light output) is a direct trade-off with run-time. The more powerful (brighter) the bulb, the shorter the run-time will be before it needs recharging.

Yavox

Enlightened
What kind of setup would I need to have an output similar to WA1111, for at last 30 minutes, regulated?

Is it possible with Megalennium body + FM3X head, or it would require something bigger, to hold more 18650s? Is there any driver available to keep the brightness at the constant level, just like my A2 does?

DM51

Flashaholic
So then the most powerfull bulb + your great battery extention + cells

could you please list these and their price
WA 1185 is top for power. For that you need an FM or Odd Mods 3x17670 battery holder, and the FM MN bi-pin bulb holder. Not sure what the current prices are - check the links in post #1.

What kind of setup would I need to have an output similar to WA1111, for at last 30 minutes, regulated?

Is it possible with Megalennium body + FM3X head, or it would require something bigger, to hold more 18650s? Is there any driver available to keep the brightness at the constant level, just like my A2 does?
Consider the HO-M6R. The only extra you'll need for that is the FM / Odd Mods 3x17670 battery holder and cells. You won't need a Megalennium body or FM bi-pin bulb holder. It's a great combination:

post #1 said:
The Lumens Factory HO-M6R was the best surprise of this shootout. It draws 2.1 amps from 3x Li-Ions – that is Lumens Factory's own figure, and it proved accurate on measurement. This means it can be used safely with 3s2p RCR123 Li-Ions in the stock MB20 holder; however it will perform better with 3x17670s. The HO-M6R has always been described as being "somewhere between the MN20 and MN21 in output". Well, we can now officially scratch that description as inadequate. It stomped the MN20, and it gave the MN21 a very good run for its money. It was a far closer thing than I thought it would be. It has a tighter beam, and I think it actually out-throws the MN21. Throw is a feature of Lumens Factory bulbs, and this is a superb thrower. I knew it was good, but it took this comparison to show just how good it really is.
Output………….. ððð
Run-time……….. ðððð
Practicality……. ððððð
Overall…………... :D

Illum

Flashaholic
WA 1185 is top for power. For that you need an FM or Odd Mods 3x17670 battery holder, and the FM MN bi-pin bulb holder. Not sure what the current prices are - check the links in post #1.

Consider the HO-M6R. The only extra you'll need for that is the FM / Odd Mods 3x17670 battery holder and cells. You won't need a Megalennium body or FM bi-pin bulb holder. It's a great combination:

the HO-M6R has one additional advantage and disadvantage
the round envelope aligned on axis [as opposed to the filament focused on axis with the envelope slightly tilted with surefire lamps] means your beamshot is going to come out round, not the shape of a football.

The disadvantage...is that under 3x17670 about two hours or so of service, the envelope darkens so much that it reminded me of an MN20 on nearly dead cells:candle:

Steve in SoCal

Enlightened
The disadvantage...is that under 3x17670 about two hours or so of service, the envelope darkens so much that it reminded me of an MN20 on nearly dead cells:candle:

:wtf:

I don't think that is characteristic of a good HO-M6R bulb. I have several hours of usage on mine and it looks fine.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast

Funny that this is brought up. I just noticed that my HO-M6R is starting to get a bit dark on me. I have been running it with an AW SoftStart so I thought it may have been due to under-driving the light on low to often.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well mine's not that dark yet - but same sort of darkening on the inside of the LA. I thought I had read on other threads that this type of darkening would usually happen becuase of an underdriven LA.

I am going to look for a good bi-wire that would allow me to go for a slightly less expensive LA. T1331 looks like a good possiblity and so does the 1166 potentially (although it looks like the 1166 would be slightly underdriven on 3 Li cells at 11.1V)

Yavox

Enlightened
Great. I asked incan newbie question, got HO-M6R as a solution, now people are complaining about it... :confused:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great. I asked incan newbie question, got HO-M6R as a solution, now people are complaining about it... :confused:

You've only got two people complaining about 2 light bulbs - hardly a wide test bed there. It's the first one I've noticed this happening to me on - I have had other that haven't gone black but they also possibly hadn't been run long enough to reach that point. Also - the bulb in question in my case was a used one I got with my M6 - so I don't know how much 'true' runtime it has on it.

And don't let one small issue get you down on the bulb - it's a great LA and I will continue to use it and probably get replacements. But I will also try the 1331 as well if I can get my hands on one.

I won't drive my 17670s using a 1185 as I feel that is too hard on the cells.

Illum

Flashaholic

I have yet to find a product that exists in this world without at least one person who jeered about it...including rubbers.
There are many people who are content with this lamp, it served me well for those couple hours and its performance has already paid itself off, I am merely showing you a possibility of what might become of your lamp should it be operated as long as mine has.

Well mine's not that dark yet - but same sort of darkening on the inside of the LA. I thought I had read on other threads that this type of darkening would usually happen becuase of an underdriven LA.

Funny thing is, this was designed to be driven by 3x17670s...1185s aren't, and none of my 1185s have has any darkening issue.

I am going to look for a good bi-pin that would allow me to go for a slightly less expensive LA. T1331 looks like a good possiblity and so does the 1166 potentially (although it looks like the 1166 would be slightly underdriven on 3 Li cells at 11.1V)
1166 is rated for 11.6V, around 2 amps. there is no way your Li cells can sustain 11.1V under 2A without some moderately heavy voltage sag. :ohgeez:

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have yet to find a product that exists in this world without at least one person who jeered about it...including rubbers.
There are many people who are content with this lamp, it served me well for those couple hours and its performance has already paid itself off, I am merely showing you a possibility of what might become of your lamp should it be operated as long as mine has.

I hope this isn't a jab at me as being a complainer or jeering at the lamp?? I never talked down on the lamp and actually have had nothing but good things to say about it.

BUT - if a lamp does darken then the lamp does darken. The proof is in the picture. Buyer beware under all circumstances.

And another BUT - I have also ruined KT1 heads with exploding MN21 batteries being driven of 2xIMR16500 cells, had 1185s go poof on me, had multiple AW SoftStarts go bad on me in a Megalenniun becuase of the srpring beeing squeezed to hard by the AW 18650-2600 cells, and other sundry mishaps. No product is without its flaws - but the payback is great when they work.

Funny thing is, this was designed to be driven by 3x17670s...1185s aren't, and none of my 1185s have has any darkening issue.

Thus my exact point about the light be underdriven, the 1185 is WAY overdriven. I read in a thread post here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2330219&postcount=11 about underdriven lamps darkening.

1166 is rated for 11.6V, around 2 amps. there is no way your Li cells can sustain 11.1V under 2A without some moderately heavy voltage sag. :ohgeez:

Ummmm.... thus my statement of the lamp being underdriven.

souledge

Newly Enlightened
Isn't the MN21 with the 2 X C Li-Ion's the best for power with no regard to anything else?

I'm looking for the configuration with the highest power, with no regard to anything else.

DM51

Flashaholic
Isn't the MN21 with the 2 X C Li-Ion's the best for power with no regard to anything else?

I'm looking for the configuration with the highest power, with no regard to anything else.
Well, if you don't mind blowing $33 for every few seconds of runtime...

souledge

Newly Enlightened
Additionally, did you test the WA1185 on the 2 X C vs. the 3 x 17670? Do you have any other tests in mind with the new 18650? What would you estimate as the life of an MN21 using 3 x 18650?

DM51

Flashaholic
Is it honestly that bad that you won't even get 5 minutes of runtime before the bulb pops?
You might be lucky and get 5 mins, or maybe even longer. Or it might blow straight away. Honestly, it's not worth even trying it, IMO.

Additionally, did you test the WA1185 on the 2 X C vs. the 3 x 17670? Do you have any other tests in mind with the new 18650? What would you estimate as the life of an MN21 using 3 x 18650?
The WA1185 draws ~3.2A IIRC. This will cause voltage sag in Li-Ion cells. The sag will be less on 3xC vs. 3x17670, which is why the bulb will look brighter on the C-Li-Ions. Please note - 3x Li-Ions for the WA 1185, 2x for the WA 1111.

souledge

Newly Enlightened
You might be lucky and get 5 mins, or maybe even longer. Or it might blow straight away. Honestly, it's not worth even trying it, IMO.

The WA1185 draws ~3.2A IIRC. This will cause voltage sag in Li-Ion cells. The sag will be less on 3xC vs. 3x17670, which is why the bulb will look brighter on the C-Li-Ions. Please note - 3x Li-Ions for the WA 1185, 2x for the WA 1111.

Thanks for the tips, I'm just a newbie trying to learn a bunch about this ever since I heard about the performance of a stock M6.

Right now, the recommended power configuration is WA 1185 with 3 x 18650? Or is there something even more powerful than that?

DM51

Flashaholic
For maximum output, that is a good combination, but you would need a Megalennium body to use 3x18650. The stock M6 body will only take 3x17670.

souledge

Newly Enlightened
For maximum output, that is a good combination, but you would need a Megalennium body to use 3x18650. The stock M6 body will only take 3x17670.

Sorry, one last question.

Is that the brightest possible configuration for a handheld flashlight, or is there a brighter one? i.e. Fivemega 5 x 26500 Mag body replacement with a WA 1185?