SureFire M6 rechargeable options – SHOOTOUT (Part 2)

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, one last question.

Is that the brightest possible configuration for a handheld flashlight, or is there a brighter one? i.e. Fivemega 5 x 26500 Mag body replacement with a WA 1185?

Ummm, not even close. You need to check out Lux Luthor's Most Powerful Mag Mods Thread. The WA 1185 can deliver about 1300 lumens when driven well. So how does 400W, ~15,000 lumens in a handheld flashlight sound??

Steve in SoCal

Enlightened
Additionally, did you test the WA1185 on the 2 X C vs. the 3 x 17670? Do you have any other tests in mind with the new 18650? What would you estimate as the life of an MN21 using 3 x 18650?

The MN21 will go :poof: on 3 x 18650. Please read the attached links to get a better feel for options in the M3/M4/M6 flashlights:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=161536

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/204862

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/219435

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3230826

Illum

Flashaholic
I hope this isn't a jab at me as being a complainer or jeering at the lamp?? I never talked down on the lamp and actually have had nothing but good things to say about it.

no, its not directed against you in a negative sense, I simply wanted you to know its often not the most ideal to limit a product based on its reviews.

BUT - if a lamp does darken then the lamp does darken. The proof is in the picture. Buyer beware under all circumstances.
Well, unless I have say a batch of 10 lamps and all of them has exhibited the same symptom my argument is hardly qualified as evidence. It is simply an inference on a possible outcome.

325addict

Enlightened
@ Yavox: I have two of these HO-M6R bulbs at the moment, none of them is even remotely black. Maybe there was a bad batch? If it happens to your bulb, give Mark from Lumens Factory a ring, and he'll arrange a solution. You can buy it with confidence, it is great, really!!

Another bulb that is great for the M6 if you need loooong runtimes: the WA1336! This one has been discontinued but is available on the internet if you're digging hard enough...

Specs are:

6V 0.64A 56Lm 525h

re-rated to 7.4V this will become:

7.4V 0.72A 116Lm 40h

It will run for three hours easily on two AW 18650-2600s :)
On fresh 18650s I measured 0.74A current draw, so the 0.72A @ 7.4V may very well be accurate.

Light output is bright white and very useful. You can focus it to quite a small, bright hot spot due to the short filament. I used this setup today as a bike light, it is way brighter than my ordinary bike light :caution:

Timmo.

Mark@LF

Enlightened
Indeed, if you have 2 hours on the HO-M6R with 3x17670 then you probably should drop us a line. We offer no hassle service for all our products, has been like this from day one.

You can give us an email on [email protected] if you need anything, we are currently on holidays until the 17th. But I check the emails everyday.

Cheers,

Mark

Illum

Flashaholic
Indeed, if you have 2 hours on the HO-M6R with 3x17670 then you probably should drop us a line. We offer no hassle service for all our products, has been like this from day one.

Mark, I love your lamps. I went through EO-E1R, HO-E1R, EO-4, EO-E2R, and the HO-M6R, envelope fogging is a common event, but it never bothered me. the M6 did because I looked at the lamp's business end while off...so its fault on my part

There is NO issue with your products! :D
Blackening is simply a matter of personal preference.
Whether broiled or blackened, good salmon is good salmon:whistle:

325addict

Enlightened
exactly the same here. I have several LF-lamps, none of them gives problems and/or is black. They are just extremely bright and white and they ALL throw like crazy :caution:

But, back on topic: I always wondered why LF only had ONE lamp for the M6... but when you look better, this is not true ;)

The M3T shares the same head with the M6, so the HO-M3T and EO-M3T also fit :poke:

I pulled the trigger on the HO-M3T. This one draws 2.0 Amps, and has been designed for 2X 3.7V rechargeable Li-ion cells... that's 2X 18650 in a Mdocod-holder :)

I installed the lamp and two 18650s, turned it on and.... simply amazing!
According to DM51, Lumens Factory lamps are known for their throw, and this one is, again, no exception :hitit:

The combination of this extremely good throw and relatively moderate current draw make it to my favorite lamp on two cells at once.
Seeing is believing.

I think, I should buy another, just in case this one pops... I don't want to be without one :whistle:
(just the same with that high output lamp for the E1E on 3.7V... I bought a second as a spare. This lamp just breathes new life into that E1E, because finally it has guilt-free Lumens too!)

Timmo.

Illum

Flashaholic
But, back on topic: I always wondered why LF only had ONE lamp for the M6... but when you look better, this is not true ;)

the other lamps were designed for the M3, therefore excluded from operation as an M6 option for this review, but yes its an astutute argument:D

With that in mind, David how about you do an add on with the new LF-IMR-M6 lamp?
the runtime of about 15min is going to look very very bad on the comparisons, but for LF to produce a lamp of this caliber there must be something inherently unique about it.
I speculate that, at 3.7 amps it'll resemble the same profile as the WA1111 and might rival the WA1185

Last edited:

IcantC

Enlightened
Anyone still able to find the HO-M6R anywhere?

Ps one of my all time fav threads!

Nothing beats the M6 incan IMHO.

phoenix1

Newly Enlightened
Is this the one we want now? Seraph XM-L M Series Turbo Head. It has the new emitter and looks pretty good.

Patriot

Flashaholic
DM, sort of off topic with regards to the shootout but having viewed your thread pictures again it kind of looks like you have at least two M6's with a slab side and no laser etching on them. I bit hard to tell since you've got a clear identifying label with white lettering over the spot where the laser etching would normally be, but it's my understanding that there were very few M6's made with a plain, un-etched side. I found one a couple of years ago and still own it and it was the first I had ever seen outside of a SF catalog. Just curious if my eyes deceive me.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just want to say Thank You again, to the OPs, DM51 and adamlau

Yes I am resurrecting this, I love the M6 and the many of you who tested and played and
made things so we could have rechargeable options, It's because of this thread I still have my
M6 and run a FM Bi-Pin holder in a 3x17670 holder, Love this light....
I am saving to get the PhD-M6, lol... but alas that would help me "HAVE" to purchase another M6, hehehe

And because of this thread I recently got a hold of an M4 to run another FM Bi-Pin on 2x17670
to power a WA1111,

Long live the Icans!!!

Last edited:

Brigadier

Enlightened
Just ordered an PhD-M6, a LF HO-M3T and 6 AW17670's. New life for the old M6.

Brigadier

Enlightened
Received the PhD-M6 yesterday. It is an impressive piece. Very high quality design and build. And the LF HO-M3T - very impressive. Set the Phd DIP switches to 7.5V, and it produces a very nice, tight beam, much better than the MN20/21, and throws much farther. And the color - I have never seen such a pure white incan. I am looking forward to the next Seattle GTG to show this bad boy off.

Hats off to Will and all involved in the design and manufacture of a wonderful piece of kit.

OscarTheDog

Enlightened
Because of this thread i am thinking of picking up another M6 plus i wanted to bring this thread back to life.