Surefire M6 SMO/LOP reflector to increase THROW ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Feeler: Surefire M6 SMO/LOP reflector to increase THROW

Whatever gets designed needs to get rid of that shock isolation. They rob as much as 20% of the OTF lumens (in the spill of course).

bigC

What is the actual operational impact of this? For example, if the spill lux decreases from something like 100 lux to 80 lux when measured at the spill midpoint, then is this going to matter? If not, then I'd rather have the shock absorption system. I'm not going to run an incan weaponlight without a shock system.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
:hitit:

C'mon guys, shock isolation is a must for M-series lights... remember that flashlights are not just a hobby for some CPFers...

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

What is the actual operational impact of this? For example, if the spill lux decreases from something like 100 lux to 80 lux when measured at the spill midpoint, then is this going to matter? If not, then I'd rather have the shock absorption system. I'm not going to run an incan weaponlight without a shock system.

From what I could tell the loss in the stock KT-4 bezel was due to 2 things.

The spill lost due to that shock isolation and the lack of UCL AR coated lens.

For throw purposes the shock isolation makes no difference as the loss in lumens is in the spill and you likely won't notice it anyways.

bigC

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
So why suggest removing the shock system, which does provide a major, tangible benefit when using incan lamps?

Also, I would not want to use a coated UCL in a head that can be used with fairly hot running lamps like an 1185, 5761, and the like.

cryhavok

Enlightened
Here is a review with beamshots of the Bi-focal reflector:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/248153

Looks like a good option for really cleaning up the beam without losing too much throw.

I don't think losing the shock isolation will significantly increase the throw if a new reflector was made...that is the whole purpose of this mod. Also, it may not be feasible to create a new reflector geometry to fit in the confined space.

Illum

Flashaholic

Whatever gets designed needs to get rid of that shock isolation. They rob as much as 20% of the OTF lumens (in the spill of course).

bigC

Since the shock isolation takes up space in the bezel, removing it could mean the redesign of a longer parabolic reflector to facilitate this increase in throw:nana:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
If this was designed in such a manner, it would probably reduce the potential market somewhat - a lot of folks (like me) have the KT1/2 non-shock-isolated TH's, and so wouldn't be able to use a longer reflector in their SF TH. My two lumens, :shrug:

Illum

Flashaholic
If this was designed in such a manner, it would probably reduce the potential market somewhat - a lot of folks (like me) have the KT1/2 non-shock-isolated TH's, and so wouldn't be able to use a longer reflector in their SF TH. My two lumens, :shrug:

as long as the retaining ring is removable and the shock isolating parts have been kept and not tossed market value should not decrease assuming it is replaced to original condition at the point of sale:thumbsup:

cryhavok

Enlightened
as long as the retaining ring is removable and the shock isolating parts have been kept and not tossed market value should not decrease assuming it is replaced to original condition at the point of sale:thumbsup:

I think by "market" he means how many people will be able to use it, not the resale value.

Anyway, it is up to Fivemega as to how he will come up with another innovative way to upgrade an already awesome flashlight. I think at this point it is best to just have a stock size reflector so everyone with a turbohead will be able to enjoy some new life in their flashlight. A V2 Deep reflector can be made later down the road :cool:

So...who else want's to give their Surefire some killer throw:twothumbs

Mettee

Enlightened
DSC00423.jpg

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice pictures..

No shock isolation needed and its nice and smooth.

Now put some assembled pictures please:poke:

Mettee

Enlightened
Dimensions and sizing are being finalized. The final should retain shock isolation and require no modifications.
There was no gain to be had by removing shock isolation nor did it make the design harder. About a week and
there will be better images that are more in depth. A lot of sweat is going into this, literally :laughing: please pardon the dust.

DSC00480.jpg

DSC00479.jpg

DSC00481.jpg

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should really make it without the shock isolation because you are loosing at least 10% (as much as 20% with stock lens) of the lumens.

The loss in lumens is in the spill, so your hotspot will look the same.

I for one would love to see you make it as pictured with no shock isolation to maximize on out the front lumens, but yes for lux it makes no differencce.

bigC

Mettee

Enlightened
So are you thinking UCL lens? Is that what you are referring to with attributes to % loss?

The parabola will control spill and spot so....The shock isolation does just that, it cant influence spill/flood or spot. We are also limited by the bezel size, there is no sense having a reflector that has a aperture larger than the bezel opening.

I have tested these reflectors back to back with others like FM, MCRXXX, etc. I notice an improvement. And one you can see with the naked eye, so that says a lot. I can try and dig up a comparison beam shot if anyone would like.

Without being overly technical, these reflectors kick *** ;)

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you recess the reflector to fit a shock system, the TH shell and bezel mask some of the light output, cutting the overall lumens measured in a sphere.

IMO the cited 10% loss figure, all in the spill, seems hardly worth the bother compared to the benefit of having a shock system to protect the bulb's filament.

I would also go with Borofloat, not UCL, to provide for a more robust TH when using high-powered bulbs. Yeah, you lose another 4% or so.

IMO, equally or more important than the OTF lumens is the beam pattern.

1wrx7

Enlightened
I hate to be a party pooper but, the KT1/KT2 turboheads do not have a removeable reflector. The reflector is a machined surface in the head. The bezel rings are interchangabe, my KT1 sports a scalloped bezel from a KT4 instead of the plastic one it came with.

I hope this doesn't stop this reflector from being made. I've seen the difference using LED tower module's with a smooth reflector in a SF turbohead compared to the OP type. No surprise... the smooth throws significantly better. This is a great idea:thumbsup:... I might be in for one.

cryhavok

Enlightened
Mettee :thumbsup:

That looks incredible.

How did you remove the bezel ring?

Is the bulb opening the same size as the stock reflector?

When these become available, pleeeese save one for me and send a pm! I don't get much free time to come on the board and I definitely don't want to miss this.

Status
Not open for further replies.