Surefire tactician

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yet another light I totally fail to understand.
What's not to understand?

This is a purpose built light designed by a highly experienced firearms and tactics instructor. It is primarily designed to be an illumination tool used in conjunction with a firearm in high stress situations. But, it also has the addition of a safely actuated low(not easily accidentally activated) to allow it to function as a close range task light as well.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could you please tell me what kind of light(s) do you use?

Well for example I have a smallish 26650 Thrunite TC20 on order. Brand has been very dependable for me. $72 (as of right now) bucks including battery, holster, usb cable...320~350 meters throw, 3800 lumen, 5 levels available...latest Cree XHP 70 2nd gen emitter. Of course I have all kinds of lights.

6__31649.1514268284.500.750.jpg

What I can't fathom is the price for what you get. 2 level light with 5 lumen being the lower level, means you will run on high more often than not. Short run time, non rechargeable batteries = very high cost of operation...or a seldom used light. And little flexibility. And I don't really think most folks here run around chasing drug lords N such. To me it seems like very poor value. Especially since flashlights are improving at a fast rate. At a much lower price I could grasp it, a well made, dependable little light with the cool factor of the Surefire brand name...maybe $50 bucks. Basic two level tail switch light.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
I don't have one and won't buy one, but it's been stated the 16650 cell works fine in these. As to the rest of your points, SF sold lights similar to these for years to the masses, and don't seem to have many languishing in warehouses. They must have a clue... :)

Lumencrazy

Enlightened
Well for example I have a smallish 26650 Thrunite TC20 on order. Brand has been very dependable for me. $72 (as of right now) bucks including battery, holster, usb cable...320~350 meters throw, 3800 lumen, 5 levels available...latest Cree XHP 70 2nd gen emitter. Of course I have all kinds of lights.

What I can't fathom is the price for what you get. 2 level light with 5 lumen being the lower level, means you will run on high more often than not. Short run time, non rechargeable batteries = very high cost of operation...or a seldom used light. And little flexibility. And I don't really think most folks here run around chasing drug lords N such. To me it seems like very poor value. Especially since flashlights are improving at a fast rate. At a much lower price I could grasp it, a well made, dependable little light with the cool factor of the Surefire brand name...maybe $50 bucks. Basic two level tail switch light.

It's called the Tactician so it will sell to the many "Sofa Soldiers" out there. Good Marketing!

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened

This is the typical response many have to Surefire lights. 1. You seem to be interested in some sort of task light. Surefire does not do many of them and this light is not a task light. 2. You are paying for quality, a quality that you are not getting in those $70 lights. Surefire likes to keep things simple thus the reason for two modes. There are others who make quality lights and their prices are the same or much more. You might just have to own one to understand.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have one and won't buy one, but it's been stated the 16650 cell works fine in these. As to the rest of your points, SF sold lights similar to these for years to the masses, and don't seem to have many languishing in warehouses. They must have a clue... :)

They got a good marketing.

214186_surefire_main_t975.jpg

tokaji

Newly Enlightened
Luckily, there are so many brands, options, price and quality ranges of flashlights that everybody can find what suits for her/his need. For example, I use the 5 lumen mode on my E2L daily and 95% of time.

dhunley1

Enlightened
I'm surprised it took this long for someone to make such a silly comparison. Blows my mind that people care so much about what other people spend their money on.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
They got a good marketing.

214186_surefire_main_t975.jpg
Those are probably real soldiers man.

You do know that Surefire is one of the most used lights by law enforcement, government agencies, and militaries around the world right? They are one if the only illumination companies that has several lighting products on the NSN list. They also make several other high end firearms related products like suppressors, muzzle brakes, magazines, and signing devices. Many of these products are also widely used by these agencies listed above and some have won many government contracts over the years.

Surefire makes lights for professionals. Yes, some normal people buy them too but, they are in a different class then a company like Thrunite. They cost more for a reason.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go tell the Iraq and Afgan vets to carry thrunites, olights, or what ever into battle. You will get laughed to scorn. I have read where US soldiers had surefire's attached to their M4's and were hit by road side bombs. They were killed, the vehicle destroyed, the rifle is inoperative, but the Surefire's still turned on. That is why they cost what they cost. The tactician is purpose built to handle these extreme situations and the price is reflective of that.

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did not know so many here were headed off to battle. Why not the Surefire G2X...similar light, lower price. Same 800 lumens high...but with a more practical (I think) 15 lumen low?

http://www.surefire.com/illumination/flashlights/g2x-max-vision.html

As others have said, the Tactician is a tactically orientated light - hence the name "Tactician". The G2X uses a click-type switch. The Tactician, however, uses a true tactical twisty UI. Simple and no room for error under stress. Clickies, like all mechanical/moving parts, are also more prone to failure I believe.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go tell the Iraq and Afgan vets to carry thrunites, olights, or what ever into battle. You will get laughed to scorn. I have read where US soldiers had surefire's attached to their M4's and were hit by road side bombs. They were killed, the vehicle destroyed, the rifle is inoperative, but the Surefire's still turned on. That is why they cost what they cost. The tactician is purpose built to handle these extreme situations and the price is reflective of that.

Do you actually know any vets that used a Surefire? The two vets I know had no idea what brand lights they used over there, not into flashlights...only that they got them at the Base Exchange. Find the Surefires.

https://www.shopmyexchange.com/s?No=0&Nrpp=30&Ntt=flashlight

Last edited:

tokaji

Newly Enlightened
Of course, there are other companies who manufacture high end flashlights (just like cars, watches, pens etc).

Here are some battle oriented story with Surefire lights:
http://www.surefire.com/truestories/cat/supporting-our-troops

Do you actually know any vets that used a Surefire? The two vets I know had know idea what brand lights they used over there, not into flashlights...only that they got them at the Base Exchange. Find the Surefires.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. My wife's nephew done two tours in Iraq in the 2006 time frame. He carried surefires. He was never hit but was in combat. He does not like to talk about it, so I never quizzed him too much on the lights used. I know he had a surefire attached to his M4, and used a 6P after he came back.

Do you actually know any vets that used a Surefire? The two vets I know had know idea what brand lights they used over there, not into flashlights...only that they got them at the Base Exchange. Find the Surefires.

dhunley1

Enlightened
Although I'm still on the fence about the Tactician, for me, it would serve a very specific purpose. Spend some time in Detroit at night and you'll learn to appreciate this sort of UI.

bigfoot

Enlightened
Blows my mind that people care so much about what other people spend their money on.

Nailed it. :thumbsup:

"I don't use it / want it / need it, so nobody does."

I'm just glad there are choices out there for all of us. If we all had the same exact lights, this would be a boring place!

lovecpf

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
So as folks can see, the Base Exchange does not even carry Surefires, not even one...but rather Streamlights...and a host of other lights.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
As others have said, the Tactician is a tactically orientated light - hence the name "Tactician". The G2X uses a click-type switch. The Tactician, however, uses a true tactical twisty UI. Simple and no room for error under stress. Clickies, like all mechanical/moving parts, are also more prone to failure I believe.

Ok, now I'm way lost. A...tactical...TWISTY? What is a tactical twisty?