Surefire UM2 Ultra

FPSRelic

Enlightened
I imagine it has something to do with the intellibeam technology like what's being used on the Fury.

That's quite possible, as the intellibeam technology would be a more automated way of dealing with different light requirements without having to fiddle with a selector ring, which would make it more tactically effective, at least from a marketing point of view.

It's possible that they decided that the normal price point that these would sell at was too expensive after these 800 were made (at the same time a number of more expensive 2 and 3 cell Surefire's disappeared off their website).

It's also possible that these are a version that may not be the final production run version, and that Surefire has decided to upgrade the emitter, or build a new version that accepts 18650 cells like the Peacekeeper.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Very interesting news.

Wonder if I can scrape up funds for one of these. . . . I've been obsessed with the possibility of this light since I had two modded U2As stolen from my porch!

Not eager to try the Intellibeam as it strikes me as a big government, nanny state effort to control how bright my light is.

Psosmith82

Newly Enlightened
Did anybody get there's in today? I'll get mine tomorrow, been waiting on this light for awhile, thought it had turned into vaporware. I'm glad they released them, even if it was just in an 800 batch limited run.

kssmith

Enlightened
It has landed! Per my wife, it came in a white padded envelope. It did not have an outer box. Only the black surefire inner box. it came with the arms unlimited hat that's advertised on their website with the light. I purchased mine off of an auction site so it's got to be the same reseller with a different name. I will have the light soon and will post some pictures.

kssmith

Enlightened
OK, I have the light in hand. So far I am impressed. I'm at work so I'm having to work around my job but I will try to get some pictures uploaded in the next couple of hours.

The finish is extremely nice. it feels more like the UNR Commander in my opinion

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I have the light in hand. So far I am impressed. I'm at work so I'm having to work around my job but I will try to get some pictures uploaded in the next couple of hours.

The finish is extremely nice. it feels more like the UNR Commander in my opinion

Is the battery compartment milled wide enough to hold a 18650?

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the battery compartment milled wide enough to hold a 18650?

And, will it put out full power on a single 18650 (or 17670) cell?

At least we now know that the mythical SF UM2 has finally been sighted in the wild. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

WDR65

Enlightened
Mine came in today as well, quick shipping from Nevada. Fit and finish appear to be nice, on par with most of the other Surefire's I own. My one gripe is that the selector ring is not quite as smooth as my older U2's. As I type this though I remembered that my UB3T isn't that smooth either with more of a detent on each level.

Its a bit taller than a U2 and the clip is much more utilitarian looking but appears to look like it will grip tighter than the ones from the U2's. The beam appears to be fairly white and not the greenish tint that Surefire has become more known for. That's it for me for now, at least until after dark.

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
Ah $#!+. I ordered my hds rotary about a month ago and now another $300 light I really want comes along. I wouldent be as tempted if it was a higher production light. But because it's rare and I like the selector ring ui I'm really tempted as much as I know I shouldn't. It'll be really hard to resist if it takes 18650s or at least works really well on 16650s.

AR_Shorty

Enlightened
20160825_180251_zpsmutyiq8v.jpg

kssmith

Enlightened
Alright,
Sorry to take so long to get pictures up, but work this afternoon was not cooperating with flashlight priorities. oh well, anyway, as for 18650s, they will not fit in the light. I tried a 17670 on high, and there is an almost immediate step down in brightness. I do not have a way to measure the output. Also, the selector ring has notches, or clicks for the outputs, it is not smooth like the original. Here are some pictures of the items, and the UM2 next to a P2X, and some with an original U2. Hope you enjoy!

IMG_6477_zpshmx5exxr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_6491_zpsvxsgyf5n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_6492_zps2yvakzcc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_6493_zpspm01zjva.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_6494_zpsvwzwrm05.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_6495_zpsb9py12kg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]