Surefire UM2 Ultra

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Surefire is focussing also on lights for a smaller budget or new customers. For me the Sidekick was forca new group of customers, and not the traditional Surefire buyer. Also the R3IB is not for the traditioal Surefire customer IMO.

At all the Selector Ring is a kind of out. A few years ago Jetbean, Nitecore, Niteye, Sunwayman and I'm sure a few more manufacturers I forgot had also a Selector Ring light in the lineup. Today no manufacturer really have a Selector Ring light in the lineup, anymore. Seems Selector Rengs are oldschool!?

I am waiting for the UM2 since 2012 and I'm happy the light is available. A max. output of 600 lumens is also not bad for a light of this size. Also the beam looks not bad to me when I see the pictures. I can not wait until my UM2 reaches me...

KROMATICS

Enlightened
It appears that the seller is replenishing the auction listing 10 units at a time. If the 800 unit figure is accurate, these lights should be available for many paydays to come.

Has anyone received theirs from the eBay auction or just direct from Arms Unlimited? I'm not so sure they are the same. I noticed the eBay seller is located in Florida while Arms Unlimited is located in Nevada.

AR_Shorty

Enlightened
I got mine from the auction site. Its the same seller because the package shipped from NV even though the seller is listed as from FL. ArmsUnlimited is in NV. It also came with the Surefire/ArmsUnlimited hat.

kssmith

Enlightened
I got mine from the auction site. Its the same seller because the package shipped from NV even though the seller is listed as from FL. ArmsUnlimited is in NV. It also came with the Surefire/ArmsUnlimited hat.

Same for me. I ordered from the auction site, shipped from Nevada with the Arms stuff.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone received theirs from the eBay auction or just direct from Arms Unlimited? I'm not so sure they are the same. I noticed the eBay seller is located in Florida while Arms Unlimited is located in Nevada.

In my earlier due diligence I was puzzled by some seeming 'inconsistencies' like the $1200 'list price' for the UM2 in the ArmsUnlimited online catalog.

Also, the auction site feedback score is sterling at 99.8%, the recent ArmUnlimited reviews here: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Arms_Unlimited did not inspire confidence.

Anyway, looks like the UM2 is the real deal. :twothumbs

Has anyone ordered from the ArmsUnlimited website? Or, gone by their showroom in Las Vegas?

Psosmith82

Newly Enlightened
I purchased mine directly from the arms unlimited website. They shipped the very next day, priority mail and I got it in 2 days. Came packaged exactly like everyone else's including the Hat. Unless they've sold out of there 800 units, your experience should be the same as mine.

WDR65

Enlightened
In my earlier due diligence I was puzzled by some seeming 'inconsistencies' like the $1200 'list price' for the UM2 in the ArmsUnlimited online catalog.

Also, the auction site feedback score is sterling at 99.8%, the recent ArmUnlimited reviews here: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Arms_Unlimited did not inspire confidence.

Anyway, looks like the UM2 is the real deal. :twothumbs

Has anyone ordered from the ArmsUnlimited website? Or, gone by their showroom in Las Vegas?

I ordered direct from their website on Tuesday, got the light here in North Carolina yesterday along with the free hat. I don't see anything to suggest that it's not the real thing.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I ordered mine from the auction site, it came in two days from a North Miami Beach address.

But, no ballcap. :shakehead

Looks like very fast service either way you order. :thumbsup:

I've got U2's, a Kroma Mil-spec and a UB3T and I still somehow got confused over which ring on the head rotates.

I tried to turn the ring with the hash marks and it was frozen. :eek:

After a moment of reflection (and mild self-imprecation) I realized that the smaller ring with the dot on it is the part that turns.

I tried a 17670 on high, and there is an almost immediate step down in brightness. I do not have a way to measure the output. Also, the selector ring has notches, or clicks for the outputs, it is not smooth like the original.

I tried a Keeppower 16650 and it cycled continuously between the two highest power levels so it seems that the single cell option will not work well with this light. Two Tenergy LiFePO4 RCR123A's work fine with all power levels. I'll let someone else try the overvoltage test with the fresh off the charger 4.2 volt RCR's. The date on the included SureFire batteries is 04-2026 suggesting that these lights were packaged in recent months and not sitting in the Raiders of the Lost Ark warehouse for a couple of years before finally being released and cancelled.

The feel on the selector ring is a little gritty to me when compared to the silky smooth U2 and the slightly less smooth with detents UB3T.

And, looks like an original U2 body, which definitely takes the 18650 (sometimes you have to remove a plastic insert), will work with this light. It appears that the UM2 body is a very minor modification of the U2 body with almost the same milling and a different clip. Is the tailcap a longer version of the Z41 on the U2 perhaps? Or is it the same? Maybe a little Lego time between the UM2 and U2 in the interest of science? ;)

Well, I got a late model U2 (a U2A here on CPF) out of the drawer and tried the Lego with the UM2. The tailcaps seem to be identical with a beautiful matte black finish. I believe this tailcap is similar to the Z59 but was never sold separately with this matte finish.

The bodies of the U2 and UM2 are very similar but not the same from I can see. Although the tailcaps appear to be identical, the tail threads are not exactly in the same position on the tube. You can swap the U2 and UM2 tailcaps and both lights work. However a Z49 tailcap works fine on the U2 (even thought the finish is shiny, not matte) but does not work on the UM2. The Z49 doesn't seem to tighten onto the UM2 threads far enough to get that last millimeter of contact somewhere.

And, the threads on the head of the UM2 are of a smaller diameter than the ones on the U2 so a head swap doesn't work at all.

My UM2 appears to be toward the green corner of the chromaticity diagram when compared to the UB3T. Of the lights I have handy for comparison it seems to closely match the tint of a SF EB2. But the tint is not really objectionable compared to some coke bottle green lights of yesteryear.

No visible PWM at any power level that I can see.

Great light, too bad it is discontinued. :shakehead

Last edited:

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too bad you didn't get that hat either.

I agree, it does look like a good quality ballcap.

Maybe your early order will come from Nevada with the cap, hope it does. :thumbsup:

When I see an Ozmate walking down Orchard Road in Singapore with the AU/SF ballcap it might be you. ;)

I'll try not to wax too nostalgic but to me the UM2 has the look and feel of the classic early PK LED SureFires like the L2, L4 and U2. Fine CNC knurling and that SR-71 matte black finish.

The 100 lumen U2 was still on the SureFire NSN list as recently as the 2015 catalog. Was there some military spec ops contract that specified this particular light years ago perhaps? Was the UM2 the long awaited update for a new contract that never came after cutbacks in the military?

KROMATICS

Enlightened
Well, I ordered mine from the auction site, it came in two days from a North Miami Beach address.

But, no ballcap. :shakehead

Same here. No ball cap or stickers. The label on the package shows the Florida address but tracking shows it shipped from Nevada. The selector ring feels a little on the cheap side but it's easy to turn one-handed. I like it a lot so far. Too bad they discontinued/scrapped it. They discontinued a LOT of stuff this year.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
...but tracking shows it shipped from Nevada.
Same here I bought my UM2 also @ ebay and the tracking says Nevada, even if in the ebay lising the item location is stated in Florida .

They discontinued a LOT of stuff this year.
Yes they discontinued a lot stuff... :( ...and in my opinion also good selling lights like the Outdoorsmans.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I earlier said that I thought the U2 and UM2 tailcaps were identical. Upon closer inspection it looks like there is a collar around the spring inside that is metal on the U2 tailcap and plastic on the UM2 tailcap. They are indeed interchangeable on the two lights in my testing.

Those 3.0 volt Tenergy LiFePO4 batteries I was using are only rated at 400 mAh and have a high failure rate from my experience. I went for broke and put a set of AW RCR123's fresh off the charger into the UM2 for a 'smoke test'. :eek: They seem to work fine, unlike in some other recent SF lights such as the EB2. :twothumbs

The selector ring feels a little cheesy but otherwise this is a great light.

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ehhh.. seems everytime surefire releases a new light I become more disappointed. I've always liked the old U2 with that beautiful reflector. I haven't been a fan of their new TIR or any of their new lights. From the beam shot pics I prefer the fury. A fury reflector with the selector ring would have been awesome I think. Everything surefire makes now is huge. The whole point in TIR was to keep the head size down. I liked the old TIR much better anyway. Oh well, saved me money.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Curious: does anybody know or want to speculate on the emitter in there? Hasn't an early adopter cracked the head open yet? I've lost track of Surefire so I don't know what's in the Fury. XML?

Speaking of bravery, I wonder if anybody would be willing to try running this on three primaries with an extender. It seems to like higher voltage--at least, it really doesn't like low voltage--and apparently it will run on two RCRs. . . .

Very obsessed while i save pennies.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always liked the old U2 with that beautiful reflector. I haven't been a fan of their new TIR or any of their new lights. From the beam shot pics I prefer the fury. A fury reflector with the selector ring would have been awesome I think. Everything surefire makes now is huge. The whole point in TIR was to keep the head size down. I liked the old TIR much better anyway.

Curious: does anybody know or want to speculate on the emitter in there? Hasn't an early adopter cracked the head open yet? I've lost track of Surefire so I don't know what's in the Fury. XML?

I'm somewhat puzzled about the large TIR as well. The EB2 and EB1 have very tight beams with smaller TIR heads. Is the larger head on the UM2 to accommodate a larger XM-L or XM-L2 emitter perhaps? Maybe the U2 reflector would not give as much of a hotspot as the TIR with the larger XM-L dies.

Seems like this light was in development since at least 2012, did a smaller higher efficacy emitter later become available on the EB2 and E2D that performed near to the output level of the larger UM2? Was this a factor in the UM2 cancellation?

My UM2 and EB2 have very nearly the same slightly greenish tint on high. The EB2 has a smaller, tighter hotspot with less spill.

Is the larger UM2 TIR to maintain compatibility with some NSN listed accessories for the U2 perhaps?

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm somewhat puzzled about the large TIR as well. The EB2 and EB1 have very tight beams with smaller TIR heads. Is the larger head on the UM2 to accommodate a larger XM-L or XM-L2 emitter perhaps? Maybe the U2 reflector would not give as much of a hotspot as the TIR with the larger XM-L dies.

Seems like this light was in development since at least 2012, did a smaller higher efficacy emitter later become available on the EB2 and E2D that performed near to the output level of the larger UM2? Was this a factor in the UM2 cancellation?

My UM2 and EB2 have very nearly the same slightly greenish tint on high. The EB2 has a smaller, tighter hotspot with less spill.

Is the larger UM2 TIR to maintain compatibility with some NSN listed accessories for the U2 perhaps?
I give up trying to figure out what surefire is thinking since PK left. Lol. Perfect example is the new avaiator that is coming out. They just took the vampire and swapped out the IR for a colored led. No innovation there and so far off what the aviator used to be.

Sorry for the off topic guys...the new u2 ultra is great. [emoji6]

FPSRelic

Enlightened

Based on the interview with Going Gear at SHOT show, the new TIR was meant to give a better balance between flood and spill:

https://youtu.be/ATP-vNoxaDI?t=56s

Not sure what emitter is uses, but it's max output is rated at 600 lumens - on par with the Fury, as opposed to the 500 lumens of the E2D and the EB2. This, to me, would suggest that they're using the XML emitter of the fury as opposed to the Golden Dragon emitter of the EB2/E2D, which might explain the different optic. Your tint finding suggest that they're the same however. I guess we won't know for sure until someone pops the hood on one of these.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for the off topic guys...the new u2 ultra is great. [emoji6]

Do you mean the UM2? Or the U2 Ultra that came out in 2004? Both are great lights in my opinion. :twothumbs

The UM2 with depleted batteries seems to ramp down the output gracefully so you should get plenty of notice before it goes dark.

As was the case with the U2, I do wish that the lowest level on the UM2 were a little lower. I took the light out for the country walk at midnight on a moonless light. It's easy to fire off the light full blast at the ground to announce my presence to a passing pickup truck. A neighbor in an SUV stopped to ask if I'd seen her chicken that flew the coop. I told her I'd be on the lookout and used the UM2 to check a couple of nearby fields. I heard a commotion in the woods and four deer bounded across the road ahead of me. Like the U2, the UM2 feels very good in the hand. I'm getting used to the UM2 selector ring but it just doesn't feel as robust as the U2 selector. I may get some magnets off the refrigerator and see if they make the UM2 change modes like they do on the U2.

The mode changes seem to occur right at the detents on the new light. Is the same technology used to change modes on the UM2 as on the U2 (thought to be Hall effect switches)? Is a three bit Gray code involved with multiple magnets? Or a single magnet on the ring passing six sensors in the body of the light? I'll let somebody else do the teardown this time.