Surefire UM2 Ultra

the badger

Enlightened
Yep. Paid a little more for my first two from Arms. Just ordered two more. Going in the truck and EDC bag....

Do you use them often or just as a backup for your kits in your car, home etc? I'm curious about your runtime experience with the 2x 123A on high mode.

PseudoFed

Enlightened
They're all too new to tell. I run primaries. Have one at bedside and I carry one in cargo pant/shorts tool pocket or pocket of 5.11 pants about 1/2 the time. Only had them couple months and no battery changes yet. Incredible lights if maybe pushing limits of EDC.

the badger

Enlightened
Nice. Yes they're definitely a bit large (well, the head is) for EDC, however I've found that my 5.11 Apex pants work well for that as I utilize one of the magazine pockets within the main cargo pockets to keep it upright and out of the way. Works like a charm :)

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the UM2 is like some other SureFire closeouts and limited runs, the lights will sell at list price for a while until the niche market demand is satisfied. Then they will be discounted to clear out the remaining stock. Still later, the lights will appear on the auction site for a premium price since they are now out of production collectibles. The 9-11 edition red 6PX and the 30th anniversary pen and EB1 sets are in the premium price stage of this cycle on eBay for example.
Price is down to 250!
I'm sorely tempted to buy another UM2 before the price drops again. :devil:

I would not expect the price will go under 200USD. In case the price reaches 199USD I'll take 2 or 3 additional UM2's :thumbsup:

DOH! Just looked at it at Arms Unlimited. They dropped the price another $45!
Ouch, I wish I hadn't seen that.
Maybe I'd better buy another UM2 before the price drops even more.:huh:

Did arms unlimited raise their price back up? I was thinking of getting one. The google page shows sale price $200, but when you click on the website, it's listed for $245.
Yes, the sale ended. And that's why it seems that their inventory of 472 has stood still for a few days now.
Heads up! $199 for a limited time. :twothumbs

WHOA! They just dropped it down to $150

OK :paypal:, I just got a 'spare' UM2.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Just a friendly reminder that the general discussion forums here are not the proper location to promote any particular retailer, or "Good Deals" , or similar ... ;)

JBA

Newly Enlightened
Just a friendly reminder that the general discussion forums here are not the proper location to promote any particular retailer, or "Good Deals" , or similar ... ;)

But what if they are the ONLY retailer :D

That being said, totally understand and I won't do it again.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess this price drop might mean that SF is ready to release 800lm UM2.
I don't think so. The UM2 was a kind of a "small production" run or an "aborted production" run due to momey savings after the US Government drops SF as manufacturer...

The UM2 is only sold by AU. I assume the reason of this price drop is the UM2 is not a good selling item. At all I would not expect a new SF selector ring flashlight in the next time. When I check the flashlight market it seems selector ring is totally "out"!

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
On SF's site, they just mention the TIR optic; but on Arms Unlimited's site, they mention it has a tempered window. Tempered window usually refers to a "glass" material not polycarbonate/plastic correct? Would someone with this light confirm the material of the lens?

WDR65

Enlightened
I don't think so. The UM2 was a kind of a "small production" run or an "aborted production" run due to momey savings after the US Government drops SF as manufacturer...

The UM2 is only sold by AU. I assume the reason of this price drop is the UM2 is not a good selling item. At all I would not expect a new SF selector ring flashlight in the next time. When I check the flashlight market it seems selector ring is totally "out"!

Which is sad in my opinion. I had high hopes for a e series sized light for a long time. To this day I think this is one of the best ui's available. Followed closely by the infinitely variable type. Click through ui's are alright but are never completely smooth operating.

Beard Man

Enlightened
On SF's site, they just mention the TIR optic; but on Arms Unlimited's site, they mention it has a tempered window. Tempered window usually refers to a "glass" material not polycarbonate/plastic correct? Would someone with this light confirm the material of the lens?

Its a TIR optic behind a glass.

Up front you see a tempered glass, and behind the glass is a TIR optic.

Ask me how I know this.

---------------------------------------------

I drop my P1R Peacekeeper on concrete, which have only tempered glass , the bezel was bended and glass cracked.

Sure,it was my fault.

My guess its never happen with Elzetta AVS head, which have only plastic TIR optic.

The light itself,P1R Peacekeeper, is great and I like it more than UM2 Ultra,especially beam profile and color tint.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
---------------------------------------------

I drop my P1R Peacekeeper on concrete, which have only tempered glass , the bezel was bended and glass cracked.

Sure,it was my fault.

My guess its never happen with Elzetta AVS head, which have only plastic TIR optic.

IMG_0400 by VaDimZH, on Flickr

Surefire needs to fix that for you. You paid for a high end light and the warranty should cover it.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are three lights side by side. The UM2 is only about 0.5" longer than the U2, but the selector ring is wider. It definitely feels like a bigger flashlight.

71Y0ANu.jpg