TAIN TITANIUM HYPERLUX - based on a design byTNC

easilyled

Flashaholic
Thanks a lot :)The smt is one of the rarest leds. These are basically the only lights that use it. I can't wait for them. I hope you can do some outdoor shots :popcorn:

Just to clarify, the SMT L.Es were not part of the TAIN Hyperlux run and were not provided with them.
They are separate L.Es that came with a different series of lights made by someone else.
They happen to fit the Hyperlux lights as the other series was also based on the TNC Hyperlux design.

Therefore beamshots or discussions about the SMT don't really belong here and I'd appreciate it if they could be discussed in another thread or via PM. :)

For the record, the SMT is not as efficient as the XM-L and won't provide as much overall output for the same power consumption.

Last edited:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW, nice piece of tail!!!!

Karl

Here are a few pictures of my combat-grip Hyperlux with its new tail.

DSC_0247.jpg

DSC_0243.jpg

DSC_0256.jpg

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to clarify, the SMT L.Es were not part of the TAIN Hyperlux run and were not provided with them.
They are separate L.Es that came with a different series of lights made by someone else.
They happen to fit the Hyperlux lights as the other series was also based on the TNC Hyperlux design.

Therefore beamshots or discussions about the SMT don't really belong here and I'd appreciate it if they could be discussed in another thread or via PM. :)

For the record, the SMT is not as efficient as the XM-L and won't provide as much overall output for the same power consumption.

Ok, no problem. Sorry for hijacking your thread

dlmorgan999

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mostly at the urging of easilyled (although who doesn't love looking at these beauties? ;)), here are a few more pictures of my bead-blasted Hyperlux after being restored to full health. :)

This shot gives a good example of how small you can make the depth-of-field in a picture. I was intentionally
focusing on the switch, and you can see that the outer knurling is slightly out of focus.

Taking a rest atop a TNC bead-blasted aluminum 26650 light.

This is one of my favorite pictures of late as it represents a number of very talented builders. We have Jeff Hanko,
Tain (TNC tribute), Steve Ku and TNC. :)

Last edited:

59ride

Enlightened
Holy crap these are the most beautiful lights i have ever seen, are they still available ? or any more being made ? where can i purchase one ?

dlmorgan999

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy crap these are the most beautiful lights i have ever seen, are they still available ? or any more being made ? where can i purchase one ?
They are indeed beautiful lights. There was only a very small run of these lights made though. Your only chance to purchase one would be used if one of the existing owners decided to sell one.

59ride

Enlightened
They are indeed beautiful lights. There was only a very small run of these lights made though. Your only chance to purchase one would be used if one of the existing owners decided to sell one.
sell me sell me sell me….:)
do ya know of anyone ?

dbleznak

Enlightened
It's been said over and over, but it's worth repeating, the 3 piece Hyperlux w/ combat grip is head and shoulders above any other Ti light ever made. The design is timeless like a Lamborghini, it's like Chagall's "cow over the moon" Iconic and always a please just to marvel at.

dlmorgan999

Flashlight Enthusiast
sell me sell me sell me….:)
do ya know of anyone ?
Unfortunately not. All of my Tain lights (and I have quite a few) will almost certainly be a permanent part of my collection. The Titanium Hyperlux in particular (along with the Thud 26650) are in my top 10 list of favorite lights I own.

I wish you luck in your quest to find one of these beauties. :)

gkbain

Newly Enlightened
As an old retired machine shop teacher I can tell you right now, that is the best knurling I have ever seen and in Ti to. IMHO knurling is one of those machine operations that is more art than science. One of those things you have to hold your mouth right to get done correctly. This guy is holding his mouth right!

dlmorgan999

Flashlight Enthusiast
As an old retired machine shop teacher I can tell you right now, that is the best knurling I have ever seen and in Ti to. IMHO knurling is one of those machine operations that is more art than science. One of those things you have to hold your mouth right to get done correctly. This guy is holding his mouth right!
I've always felt (and I've seen many similar posts) that Tain's knurling is outstanding. I like the quality of the work, as well as how he uses it artistically in his designs.