The 5mm Challenge

mon90ey

Newly Enlightened
I've carried a Victorinox Classic in my pocket for nearly as long as I can remember. I've carried an E01 with it since they first came out. I have bigger knives and lights available when I need them, but I seldom do. Usually, those are all the knife and light I require. Makes things simple and light, just the way I like it.................of course, YMMV :naughty:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still going strong with this challenge. I just have to make it through part of tomorrow. Took a snap shot of my Arc GS with my iPhone 4 while I was over at my parents:

nbp

Flashaholic
Totally OT, but WadeF, how did you get such good resolution with you iP4 on that huge pic? I use mine for pics to post here sometimes, and I gotta keep them small or else they get all grainy. :rant:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Still going strong with this challenge. I just have to make it through part of tomorrow. Took a snap shot of my Arc GS with my iPhone 4 while I was over at my parents:

Wade, that is one of the coolest pics I've seen in a while!

Well, I made it a week, but it's been a bit tough at times as it was either too bright or too dim and I miss my multiple setting lights, so tomorrow I go on to start playing with the SS ReVo and 3-level Kuku E1L that just got this last week.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Totally OT, but WadeF, how did you get such good resolution with you iP4 on that huge pic? I use mine for pics to post here sometimes, and I gotta keep them small or else they get all grainy. :rant:

The iPhone 4 is 5MP, that's more than enough resolution to get a sharp photo. You just have to make sure you have enough light. If you take pics in very low light it will use a higher ISO and the result will be grainier pictures. For this pic I used the Pro HDR photo app which helped the quality as well. It takes two photos, each with a different exposure, and combines them into one "super" image. :)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Photon Freedom still going strong in helping me to beat this challenge. Three days down, and four to go. Did I mention I'm extremely competitive. My polished S.S. Maratac AA model is patiently waiting to get put through its paces. :thumbsup:

Edit:

Wade, your folks have a very impressive backyard. :)

Last edited:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I may be on day 3 of I may have failed last night. Is a 3mm Solitaire LED allowed? I grabbed one last night. :(
What's the LED replacement in that? Is that the really expensive LT3 from Tektite or the fleaBay version by the same people who made Fusion 36?

I had the tektite one and the led blew out. Atleast I salvaged the circuit from it. It's quite a battery vampire.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wade, that is one of the coolest pics I've seen in a while!

Thanks! :) I'm glad Carrot came up with this challenge. Without it my Arc GS may have never seen much use. Now it has lighted my way for a week and I have a new found respect for it.

enki_ck

Newly Enlightened
from the video I would say it is a wide-angle LED, otherwise the solitaire's focusing mechanism wouldn't work that well, or wouldn't make a difference at all.

Sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you meant the spill which is weak.

What's the LED replacement in that? Is that the really expensive LT3 from Tektite or the fleaBay version by the same people who made Fusion 36?

I had the tektite one and the led blew out. Atleast I salvaged the circuit from it. It's quite a battery vampire.

It's the $7 fleBay version. I'd say about 7 hours on a duraloop. The E01 is definitely better in the vampire department.

Rando

Enlightened
One 5mm? I wouldn't even be able to cope with an Inova X5. No, Carrot. I've been spoiled for far too long. I'll need an intervention to give them up now.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I've passed my one week. I didn't run into any situations this week that my Arc couldn't handle. Had I gone for a month I'd probably run into a situation where I needed more light to light up something farther away. I will say, the Arc GS did very well and I may continue this challenge a little longer just to further enjoy my Arc GS. :)

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I finally tracked down one of my battery junction coin-cell lights and even though it's actually brighter than my most often used mode on my HDS Clicky, the beam is hideous. If the challenge were to go a week using only less than 3 lumens, I'd have no trouble with it, but if I have to use an actual 5mm light (or at least this 5mm light...others may be more tolerable), then no way.

Seriously, it's like comparing Nashville tap water to twice-filtered water. You can survive on either, but one is a pleasure to drink while the smell of the other makes you gag while brushing your teeth (my memory of Nashville water is 10 years old...perhaps things have improved since then).

--flatline

gunsby_blazen

Newly Enlightened
well i am new here... i never really relied on these impressive lights that i have been seeing on here.
used to use the old maglights (still got one in the truck of my car and in my truck, puls lots all over the garage)
recently bought my first surefire (well three surefire lights)

to top it all off, i am really used to going about just using the moonlight...
so i dont think this should be a problem... i am not an addict yet....

so, does this count?
its a Streamlight Nano that i have had for a few months,
i think its a 5mm or so i have read, sure looks like one..

i bought it as a key chain light but it kept sepearting, unscrewing itself. got it on a lanyard now
excuse the poor picture, i just took it at the last second here...

i am thinking this will be a cakewalk even with my night time walks... (although i did used to pack a big Maglight, w/ the 5 cell D batteries when i went out at night)
... i think i will bring it along anyway just in case (just wont turn it on and hopefully i wont need it as a club)

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had no choice but to resort to using my Quark 2AA, there's a fox running around my neighborhood (which is rather rare as I live in the city) and I have dogs to take out. I wasn't going to even bother with seeing if my E01 was good enough for this situation with my dog's life and my friend's dog's life on the line. Otherwise, I've been a good boy.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only correct way to light up a fox.....:devil:

biggun.gif
fox2.gif

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I finally tracked down one of my battery junction coin-cell lights and even though it's actually brighter than my most often used mode on my HDS Clicky, the beam is hideous. If the challenge were to go a week using only less than 3 lumens, I'd have no trouble with it, but if I have to use an actual 5mm light (or at least this 5mm light...others may be more tolerable), then no way.

Seriously, it's like comparing Nashville tap water to twice-filtered water. You can survive on either, but one is a pleasure to drink while the smell of the other makes you gag while brushing your teeth (my memory of Nashville water is 10 years old...perhaps things have improved since then).

--flatline

You realize this is a CHALLENGE right? If all the rules were changed to make the experience enjoyable and easy, it wouldn't be a CHALLENGE.

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice pic, I have to practice with my Iphone to take pics like this...

I have a Solitaire with Led, Photon and ARC style, last both with Nichia Leds, I carry too some 5mm LED keychain flashlights and a old Pelican...

Last edited:

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon

--flatline

I prefer Nashville (Goodlettsville) tap to Brita filtered. has more character.