Newly Enlightened
E2 Hyper - L4 - Z68

Loving this head, the throw is amazing!

12-EC7-AC8-8673-4-B79-9-F06-AD41501-D8631.jpg

0-F6-DC32-A-A01-C-4269-8-D9-A-497-EAA99-EA10.jpg

75839607-9317-4-FD7-9724-EB6-D4-F6-A7430.jpg

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
You say you don't have the Malkoff tool.What are you using now to put it in? Just trying to eliminate possibilities. And yes you are right. If you load from the tail that spring does a number on the battery.

I am using a pair of kids scissors, I am able to torque it down very tight though. So tight the blades bend so much I am worried they are going to break into pieces. After thinking about this, I think the tool is needed. I can crank the puppy until the lens pops out. I have spares...:D:D

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I use needle nose pliers or the ID end of veneers to tighten mine. Scissors have quite a bit of spring to them.Might not be tightening it as much as you think. Just a thought.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. It's a horrible picture. I just found a Z32 in black! So I'll be replacing it and swapping out the natural HA
Nice, if you could get a good pic of the finished product that would be awesome. I can't say I have tried one of those heads. How is the beam? It takes a P60/61 correct?

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

thermal guy

Flashaholic
It was designed for incandescent surefire bulbs yes. The drop in sets on a SS land inside the head and under impact it allows the dropin to float. Not needed for LED's of course but it does provide a lot of extra protection.But with a lot more weight upfront.

The opening is huge so you have a pretty big beam but the module sets deep down inside so you may lose some spill. I'm new to them myself and still learning but it's a cool looking head that really beefs up the front of your light for sure.

Last edited:

NH Lumens

Enlightened
FYI - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Surefire-Z32-Type-III-Natural-HA-Color-Shock-Isolated-SIB-Bezel-NEW/293216830090

I picked one up, new as claimed. Here it is on my 3P clone WML;

1187wml-5.jpg

thermal guy

Flashaholic
They really have a tough look to them. Not sure you could break one even if you used it for a hammer. They do add a lot of weight to a light but I don't mind that

NH Lumens

Enlightened
They are indeed tough and look great, but a couple of caveats;

• They don't pull heat from the drop-in as effectively due to the shock absorbing collar, but weapon lights are usually only on for short periods of time
  • A spring is needed around the drop-in to maintain electrical contact with the body during recoil

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yep on both of those points. I wouldn't use one with my 91's. But running the new 450 M61 seems to work just fine

thermal guy

Flashaholic
So I was swapping some Malkoff modules around and was checking my M61W. It's one of my favorite in the house lights.So I'm pretty sure I have done a current draw on this before but not sure. Well the dam thing is pulling 1A at 6 volts. 1.2 with a 18650! I know the warm series is battery hunger but that doesn't seem right. My gauge is ok as it reads my M61LLL the same as I have always gotten on it. My other M61's are where there supposed to be. 650-800. The M61W should be drawing 650 or so off of 2X123's. Can anyone verify what they are getting with there's. Anyone ever hear of a dropin increasing in draw for some reason. Strange 🤔

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys are going to cost me more money, knock it off[emoji39].

Seriously, thanks for all the info you two[emoji106].

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I unscrew the head to swap it around to either a MD4 body for really long run times, or just to change the 18650, because the McClicky eats the bottom of those cells up. It is quite loose and shaking the head back and forth it rattles pretty loud. I will buy the tool Malkoff sells and really tighten it down, but I am heavy handed and could probably break a 1/2" Snap on wrench at will. LOL.

I will also try cleaning the threads once the AR I am working on is done.
Gene really cranks them down, so it should survive. I just snug mine up, haven't had any issues. I have the tool but have also used snap ring pliers or needle nose before.

If you need/want a high/low ring, send me a message.

I use high/low on all my modules. Only time I wouldn't is on low output modules or if you just want a single mode light

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny because I just picked up an M61W second hand, the tint is MASSIVELY different than my M61W LL, almost looks like a different LED. Curious to hear the current draw reports, one of those was going to be a car light for me.

Unrelated, but the 18650 Hound Dog is an amazing light! I was really missing out, I don't want it to leave my side! Everything about it rocks, and it's super versatile, with a H/L ring it's a workable night-light, and otherwise the beam is super punchy but also decent spill, totally a sweet spot IMO.

I need to pick up some of those H/L rings for the rest of my MD2s. It is silly not to have them in every one I can.

wweiss

Enlightened
I've discovered an empirical truth about the Malkoff neutral 18650 Hound Dog. It doesn't hold a candela to the ArmyTek Predator Pro v3 in warm/neutral.

In civilian non combat/tactical situations, which almost all uses are, the Predator Pro v3 as a pocketable thrower outperforms the Hound Dog - by a huge margin. Measured In metrics of functional modes, pocketable form factor, beam configuration and sheer maximum output, the Predator Pro v3 is superior.

Where it is not superior, (most likely), is in durability of construction and potted electronics. Additionally, there is the 'Made/sourced globally in USA' v 'Totally Made Elsewhere' issue which although I am passionate about, does not prevent me from buying a superior product at a good price, wherever it comes from. Indeed, if we were all to cast out everything we own that was not made (even globally sourced parts/made in USA) in our Country and stack it up at the curb to be sold or given away, I doubt we would even have our underwear left to bargain in.

As to metrics, It is winter in CT and by 5:30PM, the light is fading fast. For the past 2 months, every night I could, I've gone to the local State Forest trailhead to hike the old woods roads and trails into and looping around the 1,500 acre natural area - a ridge-and-valley 3rd generation mixed hardwood forest. Each time I bring two different lights to test for at least three nights in a row. My EDC is an HDS Rotary - that always goes. Everything from a D4S to an MCE Alpha have gone. My ideal pairing at this point is the Malkoff WildCat Neutral (latest version) in an MD2 with 2 Efest 18350's for HI/LO flood and the Predator Pro v3 (same batteries) for very high tactical throw. The HDS @ 200L is, of course, a backup.

As of my other lights, (Thrunite TN12, TN32 UT, TC20, & Streamlight ProTac HL3) I find them either too large, heavy, electronically inefficient or missing the UI and form factor that makes this kind of trail walking a pleasure. I will say, however, that my M61T (very efficient) and M61 HOT (nice output) heads are both ready to go in MD2's and I waver between these three Malkoffs each night. However, the Hound Dog 18650 always stays home.

Malkoff HD @ 256.1g 45.45mm x 154mm
Predator Pro @ 182.2g. 41.12mm x 153mm

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would just like to point out that Armytek has been the least reliable flashlight company of all the ones I have used in my 25+ years of being into flashlights. I personally had 4 different models die with little use for no apparent reason. Their customer service was terrible as well and it took me months to get my last replacement even though I am in the same province as their head office and a replacement was in stock. They have also been caught lying about/exaggerating their specs multiple times. Then there is them trying to convince their customers with issue to remove all evidence from social media and YouTube to hide the volume of their defects and customer service issues. Then there is them releasing pre-release models to dealers with known flaws and then selling the newest on their site for less. Then there is them lying/misleading customers about where they are made and what country the Company originates from. I would go on but, I honestly can't remember all the bad things about AT. They are a complete garbage company imo and I would avoid them at all costs(this comes from a Canadian who really wanted to support them). All you have to do is look around the internet to find piles of negative stories and that is with them actively trying to supress anything negative.

Malkoff on the other hand is the almost exact opposite imo. Amazingly reliable products, transparency, and the best customer service in the industry.

Friends don't let friends buy AT[emoji106].

Last edited: