The Malkoff Front Porch

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used needle nose pliers for quite a while, but there was a good deal on the tool in the exchange, so I picked it up.

Alright guys, I finally, FINALLY ordered my first Malkoff. Been lurking in their bushes and stalking them forever, but just never made the move. So many options it's insane.
I ordered an MD4 body and tailcap, MDX 22.3 head, M61W dropin, and a hi low ring.
Now I see this discussion about the hi low ring tool. Should I try to modify my order before it ships? I'm also kinda kicking myself for not getting a spare lens kit…

congratulations on your acquisition my friend.
you will surely like it a lot.
it will be the first of many. :)

i advise having the tool to remove dropin.
malkoff lanterns are an excellent hobby
I think having the accessories is part of the game.
sooner or later you will need

ledbetter

Enlightened
I wonder if someone can help on a voltage question of M 60 vs. M61. After reading through some of the old threads here, it looks like M60s only have full output with a multiple battery set up, whereas M61s reach full power at 3.7. Is this correct? Thanks ahead of time!

ledbetter

Enlightened
Wow, that is a lot of good info, thanks tg. And M60 min voltage is 3.8 and M61 is 3.4. So a M60 on a single li-ion would be half or two thirds full output? Just guessing. Current M61WL offering has twice the output at a slightly lower draw than comparable M60.

Last edited:

Jimmyboots

Enlightened
Anyone use these new fangled rechargeable 3v keep power RCR123's.

I just ordered a few for some guilt free E1T usage.

0f91de6e8df708ae186e977b625cdbc9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I asked someone under the LED Flashlight section, "Single CR123, what do you use" and he said he has been using them for a while, with no problems. Mine work so far, but I don't have much time in with them.

TILL-22

Newly Enlightened
Yes, Owen and someone else bought them also. So far they liked them - the only inconvenience is that you can't really tell how full or empty it is, since it always puts out 3V.

Maybe there's a way to measure the voltage of the cell, bypassing the extra circuitry?

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also real quick, wanted post one last call reminder here that the Malkoff M61 Red SST-20DR 660nm V1 (90lm) and V2 (15lm) group buy is officially rolling, we are just waiting for emitters and Gene will start production once I get those to him.

So TWO Red M61 dropins, one at 90~ lm, one at 15~. 45 Spots max at present, currently at 35. Priority will go to current signees, so if you'd like on speak soon! Technically I could send more LEDs if needed.....

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I have been using KeepPower 3V rechargeable in my Malkoff MDC TAC with good results. They do seem to always read 3V, thanks for pointing that out. They must cut off before getting too low, not sure. I tried one in an HDS clicky and the clicky must not have recognized it because it wouldn't light up. I use regular rechargeable in the HDS though. Just wanted to try it.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
The HDS has to go through a reset when switching from rechargeable to disposable. The HDS will interpret that 3 volts as a "disposable cell". All of the step down features meant to extend run times on batteries that are getting low will not function, since the battery voltage should remain constant until cutoff.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
That makes sense, thanks. You are correct. I put battery in HDS I was using disposables in and it fired right up. Since this is Malkoff thread, though, I will be getting a lot more use out of my MDCs now. KeepPower website says, "Use only high quality chargers specifically designed for Lithium-ion batteries." On the Illumn site it says,"THIS BATTERY CHARGES TO 4.2V BUT OUTPUTS 3V - YOU MUST USE THE ONBOARD CHARGER TO CHARGE THE CELL. Can these be charged in regular charger?

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yooooo anyone see that new E2XTL ?! Mind = blown, totally fell for one. I have to try it. Darn you Gene and your mad science! Great excuse to finally try this head.

[h=2]
E2XT
500 lumens 55,000 Lux2X CR123A 166503.4-6VSurefire M600 Scout Surefire E-Series
E2XTD
650 Lumens 70,000 Lux16650
3.4-4.2VSurefire M600 Scout Surefire E-Series
E2XTL
500 Lumens 55,000 Lux2X CR123A 186503.4-6VSurefire M600DF Scout
2XTL DETAILS:[/h][FONT=&quot]This head only fits Surefire M600DF Scout. It will NOT fit the M600 Scout or E-Series Bodies. The input voltage is 3.4 to 6 volts. It was designed for use with 2 primary 3v CR123 batteries or a single Li-ion 18650 rechargeable battery. A single LiFePO4 cell (3.2V) will not give full output The full output runtime on two CR123 batteries is approximately 15-20 minutes. The full output runtime on a single 18650 (3500ma cell) is approximately 75-90 minutes. It will easily illuminate objects at 1000+ feet and will blind opponents within a 200 foot radius. The LED is cool white with approximately 5500K CCT. The exact model of the LED is a trade secret. Please read the "Things to Know Before Purchase" section before purchasing this head.

[/FONT]