The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glock 22

Enlightened
I agree. I also really like my M61NLLL.

Not that you need my two cents, but I will vouch for the beamshot of the M61NLLL as an extremely good representation of the color temp of the M61NLLL. I'm really liking mine.

tandem

Enlightened
Nichia... ugh, I just bought two new Malkoff's, M61NLL and M61NLLL, now only to be tempted by the fruit of another. :D

As for the M61N LL and LLL's, I love the tint. Almost all of my lights are various versions of cool white although my XM-L is a little creamier it seems. These are a nice change and the output level is just right for working in close. I'm having a hard time deciding which I like better but am carrying the NLLL around all day while doing renovation work these days.

It feel funny to crow on about a "low" output light in these days of 1,000+ lumen monsters. Come full circle in tastes, I have!

Icbones

Newly Enlightened
I had two Maglight drop-ins shipped to a friend in Florida and have installed them in a 3D and 4Dcell ML. What a difference. Based on the performance of the drop-ins I ordered a Hounddog XM-L which I will get when my friend returns home from the US. Can't wait to try it out.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I'm still really liking the beam characteristics from that XP-G / reflector combo that we've had for a few years now. Just a beautiful soft hotspot with plenty of spill.
It really was a great improvement from the M60 optic IMO, although lots of folks spoke out for the optic at the time. :shrug:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Random Malkoff compliment: I used to be a big believer in the P60L for complete reliability and it's efficiency over the P60/P90, but after buying my first M61 a couple of years ago, and frequenting this site pretty often over the last 4-5 months, my collection has grown with a M60, M61LL, and the MD10.

In the last month I offloaded my last two remaining P60L's and in the future will probably only put Malkoff's in the lights I consider my "go to" stash.

steve42

Newly Enlightened
Quick Q for you Malkofffites; What kind of run times does the 2 stage MD2 have on low? Done the searches without finding any clear answer. Would an M61 have a greatly extended run time in the MD-2 low setting; ie: is the mechanism that reduces amperage to the drop-in efficient? I will be using a single AW 18650, but it isn't battery specific info I'm after here. If the 2 stage ring on the MD2 set to low wastes battery energy-does not appreciably extend run-time- then I lose interest in the 2 stage MD2. TIA

diesel79

Enlightened
I did some short testing in my M61N the other night in the low beam. Im not sure how accurate it is, and Im not claiming it to be. The cell (Redilast 18650 3100mah) started at 4.15 volts. I ran it for 5 hours and the battery measured 4.00 volts. Wether it is coinsidence that for every .01 volts you get an hour of usage, im not sure. This concludes my unscientific and possibly inaccurate testing.:)

steve42

Newly Enlightened
Thank you 4 that helpful analysis & quick reply diesel79! Seems the low mode is quite efficient in the MD2.

Glock 22

Enlightened
:DJust ordered a M60F from Oveready, and also a Nichia M31 219 from Illumination Supply.

Last edited:

thaugen

Enlightened
Let the insanity continue...I just ordered a Malkoff MD2 (high/low ring) with a M61 Nichia 219 from Illumination Supply. This is one great deal from two great dealers!

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am told that the M61 219 dropin will do 200 OTF (conservatively rated, of course!) :D
Gene is very impressed with the output.

Craig

steve42

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

ToNIX

Enlightened
Wow that Nicha M61 219 looks interesting. Would there be lots of difference with the M61W (first version, which was neutral)?

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow that Nicha M61 219 looks interesting. Would there be lots of difference with the M61W (first version, which was neutral)?

M61W, 4000K, 75 CRI.
M61 219 4500K, 92 CRI.

The M61 219 will be whiter and have higher quality output - colors will be rendered better :)

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.