The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
PSM. What type of host or configuration are you running the M31L on a single AA?

A pink MD2 for my 3 year old daughter. I went to Oveready and got a 18mm delrin sleeve for 1xAA. Also a 15mm spacer made of delrin with a post. I put a M31L 219 drop in in the head. The black boot is a lil stiff for my daughter to click, so I put a pink softpress in there. :)

N/Apower

Enlightened
Perhaps the air is clearer in Alabama than it is in Tennessee. The site said the same thing about the XPG Hound Dog.
On my street, I can get about 250 yards of light that's good enough for me to identify what I'm looking at. That's how I gauge the throw distance. And I agree that they throw well enough for me. And the Hound Dog XML definitely has great spill that is wide and useful, and that makes a very nice light indeed!
I own both Hound Dog versions. Love them both!

I think Gene is calculating down to 1Lux via extrapolation. This does not take air condition into account, and most people do not consider "1 Lux" easily illuminated. I certainly don't. My M61 is effective to about 50-75 yards, yet it says it is useful to quite a bit past that. To me, no.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Hound Dog XML is a very good combination of throw with wide spill. It has the throw of the Hound Dog XPG(around 250 yards), and a good approximation of the flood from the earlier model Wildcats. It's almost like getting both in one light. Very good first choice for the bigger Malkoff lights.
And at the price he is selling them at now, it's almost like a give-away.

How is the runtime on a XM-L Hound Dog compared to the older XPG model? I would imagine that the XM-L is probably driven harder.
Were there any other emitters used in the Hound Dog other than XPG and XM-L?

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is the runtime on a XM-L Hound Dog compared to the older XPG model? I would imagine that the XM-L is probably driven harder.
Were there any other emitters used in the Hound Dog other than XPG and XM-L?

The Hound Dog XPG has a LOT more run time than the Hound Dog XML.
Like double the amount.
XPG and XML are the only two versions so far. XPG was 325 lumens, and XML is 750 lumens.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
But we can dream about an XP-G2 version can't we?

Like double the amount.
XPG and XML are the only two versions so far. XPG was 325 lumens, and XML is 750 lumens.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like double the amount.

That is a lot of runtime sacrifice to take. But the XML should be perceivably be much brighter than the XPG and probably throw much further too. Is this assumption correct?

Is there any heat issues with XML HD?

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a lot of runtime sacrifice to take. But the XML should be perceivably be much brighter than the XPG and probably throw much further too. Is this assumption correct?

Is there any heat issues with XML HD?

No, the XML Hound Dog does not throw any noticeable amount further than the XPG Hound Dog.
It just has a lot wider beam and much more spill, and that's where the extra lumens go.
I don't really notice any heat issues with it. Malkoff lights are very well thermally managed. The V4 Wildcat gets fairly warm, though.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Just received my Neutral Hound Dog, tint looks nice, cooler than a Nichia 219. Lunch time here I'll try some comparison beam shots when it gets dark.

This is very compact with the MD3 body, quite surprised at the size. So far I'm very impressed.

Norm

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, the XML Hound Dog does not throw any noticeable amount further than the XPG Hound Dog.
It just has a lot wider beam and much more spill, and that's where the extra lumens go.
I don't really notice any heat issues with it. Malkoff lights are very well thermally managed. The V4 Wildcat gets fairly warm, though.

Thanks for the rundown.
I might just be interested now.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received my Neutral Hound Dog, tint looks nice, cooler than a Nichia 219. Lunch time here I'll try some comparison beam shots when it gets dark.

This is very compact with the MD3 body, quite surprised at the size. So far I'm very impressed.

Norm

Hi Norm.
Is the Neutral an xpg or XML? Is this a special orde?

Last edited:

ttown

Newly Enlightened
Just received my XML Hound Dog tonight. Heard a coyote in the pasture next door, so I loaded it with 4 CR123's and slipped out to the fence line. When I pointed it toward the noise and hit the switch, the coyote and I were both very impressed. :twothumbs

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been waiting for my orders from Illumination Supply to arrive. Yesterday I thought that I will not receive anything before christmas. But today when I was going to make my lunch the doorbell rang. I opened and it was the postman, at saturday! He gave to my a passed envelope.
It was the Hot pink Nichia M61 219 MD2 from Illumination Supply! :party:

This is my very first experience with a high CRI LED. And the hot pink MD2 is NICE. The tint is very nice as well!

Last edited:

Glock 22

Enlightened
I got a pair of the AW 18650 3400 mAh's for my Warm Hound Dog with a MD4 body, and they sure are a tight fit. I have to take the head and the tailcap off just to get them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.