The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhunley1

Enlightened
Thanks for the kind words, guys. It was a hasty comparison shot, so it could be better, but it gets the job done, at least.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new Malkoff Hound Dog Super's are currently being machined and should be available in 6 to 8 weeks.

That's from Gene today.

I also enquired if the E series MDC head would be available in a TIR with High/Low and he said unfortunately he's not an MCU programmer and they guy that they used previously has dropped off the grid.

So anyone know a good MCU programmer that could be recommended?

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new Malkoff Hound Dog Super's are currently being machined and should be available in 6 to 8 weeks.

That's from Gene today.

I also enquired if the E series MDC head would be available in a TIR with High/Low and he said unfortunately he's not an MCU programmer and they guy that they used previously has dropped off the grid.

So anyone know a good MCU programmer that could be recommended?

any info on led??

dhunley1

Enlightened
Having a hard time deciding if I should get the Hound Dog XM-L MD4, or if I should just get a Hound Dog 18650 head and use it on my existing MD2 body.

I like the idea of having the HD XM-L on the MD4 body for increased run-times, but I also like the idea of being able to throw the HD 18650 in a jacket pocket, if need be.

Blues

Enlightened
Having a hard time deciding if I should get the Hound Dog XM-L MD4, or if I should just get a Hound Dog 18650 head and use it on my existing MD2 body.

I like the idea of having the HD XM-L on the MD4 body for increased run-times, but I also like the idea of being able to throw the HD 18650 in a jacket pocket, if need be.

If you have limited use for one it sounds like it may make more sense for you to get the 18650 head for your MD2. The only complaints I've read are balance as compared to the XM-L on the MD4 but for occasional use and portability...you may have answered your own question.

JacquesDP

Newly Enlightened

I love my 18650 Hound Dog. It is very manageable and compact for its capability. I conserve power by using the low mode most of the time, and then short bursts of making daylight.

Keep in mind that they are regulated differently. The XM-L will keep up the lumens until the battery dies without warning. The 18650 will taper down gradually providing useable light all the way down.

But hey, you are going to get both anyways, so why ponder the small differences... [emoji1]

Blues

Enlightened
I love my 18650 Hound Dog. It is very manageable and compact for its capability. I conserve power by using the low mode most of the time, and then short bursts of making daylight.

Keep in mind that they are regulated differently. The XM-L will keep up the lumens until the battery dies without warning. The 18650 will taper down gradually providing useable light all the way down.

But hey, you are going to get both anyways, so why ponder the small differences... [emoji1]

Jacques makes a compelling case. :devil:

dhunley1

Enlightened
Thanks, guys! Jacques brings up a good point about the way they're regulated.

The one thing that confused me about the 18650 Hound Dog was the run time. On the site it states that the run time on a 3400mAh battery will be approximately 1 hour at full output (down to 650 lumens). So basically after an hour of use, it will be putting out approximately 650 lumens? It's just confusing because the site states "full output", so 650 is still considered full output?

Blues

Enlightened
Thanks, guys! Jacques brings up a good point about the way they're regulated.

The one thing that confused me about the 18650 Hound Dog was the run time. On the site it states that the run time on a 3400mAh battery will be approximately 1 hour at full output (down to 650 lumens). So basically after an hour of use, it will be putting out approximately 650 lumens? It's just confusing because the site states "full output", so 650 is still considered full output?

Sounds like after an hour you can expect your output to be about 650 lumens and then you can ride it down further (45 minutes or so) to 300 and declining output for a few hours after that. Still seems to be a good amount of time on one battery considering.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is definitely a case in which a verbal description of the run time is hardly adequate. I was going to post 880arm's graph, but Photobucket seems to be having an issue now. It's a rather straight line from 100% (900 lumens) at start to 10% (90 lumens) after 130 minutes.

I personally use both versions pretty equally, and would have a hard time choosing one of them over the other.

Tribull

Enlightened
I know Maglites are not very popular around these parts, but my Malkoff drop in for my 2c arrived today to join my other two Malkoff lights. I just took the dog for a walk on the aqueduct near my house and I have to say the throw and spill were quite impressive. I also have a coated glass lens and an aluminum reflector on the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts