The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacquesDP

Newly Enlightened
I have something strange happening on my 18650 Hound Dog. When the head is all the way tightened, the light produces high. Partially unscrewing the head switches over to low. However, when I keep unscrewing the head further the light switches back to high mode. Is it supposed to be like this? In other words with the head halfway unscrewed the light is on high.

I did clean the threads and check for any debris.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try removing the O ring, cleaning it and reinstalling it dry. Also clean the bare aluminium at the end of the tube and the brass hi/lo ring. I use isopropyl alcohol.
It's probably dielectric grease causing a problem.
P

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Hound Dog V3 goes to low with a slight twist of the head and stays there until it goes out, which is less that one revolution of the body.

Email Gene.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Here is my first Malkoff ... an MDC HA 2AA. I've had it for a few days, and it's great. Built like a tank, solid switch, and great beam. Sure would have been great to have had this, instead of my little inc. AA Maglite back during the 80s and 90s when I was setting up guitar amps and a zillion cables.

At first, I was unsure about not having a lanyard hole for a split ring where I needed it, but I tied one of my home made paracord lanyards directly to the pocket clip, and it's been staying in place and working fine.

I guess I'm hooked, I'm anxious to move up to the full sized Hound Dog, but not sure whether to wait for the new model or not. Lots I'd like to know about the new one, regarding run times, price, etc. What do ya'll think?... buy now or wait?

JT

medium setting, 25 lumens

Last edited:

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been conversing with Gene regarding the choices for LEO's from the Malkoff range, they way I see it there are 3 B's for LEO's, Belt Light, Back-up Light and Bag Light.

IMHO the belt light is well covered by the M91T MD3 for reasons that I've expanded on in other threads, the E2T MDC 2 x CR123 (16650 body) would make an ideal back-Up light.

When it comes to the bag light, a light that sits in the officers kit bag in the cruiser and only comes out for extensive searches or prolonged uses, I mentioned that it would be useful to be able to run 2 x 26650 batteries, for instance the Hound Dog would be able to run 1000 lumens for three hours, which would be a huge step up from 18650's.

Any how, Gene mentioned that 1 x 26650 and 2 x 26650 bodies are in the works and should be available in the first half of 2017, he didn't say which heads they will be compatible with, but if he's investing in machining for the new Hound Dog Super it would make sense for the new bodies to be compatible with that, if the Hound Dog Super is compatible with the MD2/3/4 bodies then maybe the older versions of the Hound Dog and Wild Cat will also be able to benefit from the extended run times that the new 26650 bodies will provide.

Last edited:

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
and if these 26650 bodies will be compatible with the current and previous HD and WC heads... it will be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.