The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
made-it-ma.jpg

Time to run! The postal website says something's awaiting me in my mailbox down the hill! :cool:
This is exciting new:).

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
Dario,

Seems like you are wanting a single cell light? The 18650 Hound Dog could be what you want. With the hi/lo ring the low is what you would use close up and the high will provide plenty of light anywhere with good spill. The head is your only problem. It might be a little too bulky. Perhaps a MD3 with a M91?

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has arrived! Excellent little thing, err, big light. I had to pick it up during my lunch break and here it is chilling in a conference room.

0QJk8tb.jpg

Blues

Enlightened
It has arrived! Excellent little thing, err, big light. I had to pick it up during my lunch break and here it is chilling in a conference room.

Mine came today as well. Charged up a pair of batteries, went out on the deck and lit up the woods. My poor dog was running around inside the house wondering what was going on out there.

Can't wait to see what the Hound Dog is gonna bring to the table.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine came today as well. Charged up a pair of batteries, went out on the deck and lit up the woods. My poor dog was running around inside the house wondering what was going on out there.

Can't wait to see what the Hound Dog is gonna bring to the table.

Haha, I bet you were so excited to try it, your dog had not a clue though. Maybe we can work on turning our canine friends into flashaholics?

The new Hound Dog sounds like it will be the complete opposite of this light, this is pure flood and that will be pure throw.

Dario

Newly Enlightened
Seems like you are wanting a single cell light? The 18650 Hound Dog could be what you want. With the hi/lo ring the low is what you would use close up and the high will provide plenty of light anywhere with good spill. The head is your only problem. It might be a little too bulky. Perhaps a MD3 with a M91?
Yeah, forgot a couple of requirements. Single cell, and not too bulky. Hound Dog is almost certainly too large.

What does your wife need 1000 lumens for?

If she really needs 1000 lumens then the closest Malkoff would be the Hound Dog 18650, it puts out 900 initially and the 800 constant OTF lumens.

If she can make do with less lumens then the Malkoff M61HOT MD2 puts out 500+ lumens with a TIR lens, so is better throw than a reflector, if you buy it with the high/low ring then she can have two modes.

A smaller alternative than the MD2 series is the MDC series, you could get a 16650 body and a E2T/Scout M600 2CR123 head, which will also run on one 16650 Li-ion.

If she still need 1000 lumens in a smaller package then look elsewhere.

The battery numbers indicate the size of the battery 16650 is 16mm diameter x 65mm in length, the 18650 is 18mm in diameter x 65mm in length. Both are 3.7 volt Li-ions but the Mah will differ, so it will not effect the brightness of the flashlight, just how long they run for.
Paramedic. She's getting by with 500 just fine. Could be 900-1000 would be counter-productive – I think it would be helpful in some cases – really need to get it into her hands and see how it plays out. She never wanted a better flashlight until I gave her an Olight M18. Looking for the next step up.

MD2 with TIR lens may work - good suggestion. I'd prefer to stick with one battery size for multiple lights. Could go to 16650 if I decide to go with an MDC.

mcorp

Enlightened
I had similar requirements (1000 sustained lumens, not too bulky (slim profile), runs on 18650, etc.) to yours awhile back but quickly realised that all of those were not possible, at least not yet.

I originally went with the MD2 M361 with high/low switch but it didn't work out as the light did not throw far enough for my intended use. Gene and Cathy were very kind and allowed me to pay the difference to exchange the M361 head for the M61Hot with high/low switch.

That was the perfect setup. Tighten the head for HIGH (sustained 500+ lumens) and loosen the head about a quarter turn for LOW. 500 lumens and 1000 lumens when compared side by side is just a hair less bright only and the throw is magnificent for its size. I got the clip as well for easier pocket carry when it is not in the holster.

2 things to note though.
Firstly, the light will definitely get warm when running constantly on High but it would not get toasty-scald-your-hand hot.
Secondly, if she is a white-wall hunter the squarish-circular beam profile might bug you a little but in real word usage it is not noticeable.

Dario

Newly Enlightened
I originally went with the MD2 M361 with high/low switch but it didn't work out as the light did not throw far enough for my intended use. Gene and Cathy were very kind and allowed me to pay the difference to exchange the M361 head for the M61Hot with high/low switch.
Waiting for it to be available. Currently sold out.

dhunley1

Enlightened
Swapped out the 16.5 head on my MD2 for a 22.3 head. The bigger opening makes for a better beam, IMO. Still using the M361N drop-in and a high/low ring. Love this set-up.

Blues

Enlightened
Haha, I bet you were so excited to try it, your dog had not a clue though. Maybe we can work on turning our canine friends into flashaholics?

The new Hound Dog sounds like it will be the complete opposite of this light, this is pure flood and that will be pure throw.

I'm greatly looking forward to seeing how it works when shining into the woods from the deck as well as along our narrow gravel road. I think I now have (most all) my bases covered with this addition to the Malkoff lineup.

Skyler, my dog, doesn't mind a headlamp or hand held flash when we're out walking at night. I think she was just wondering what was afoot with the woods being lit up outside with "daddy" on the deck by himself. She's pretty fearless in most circumstances.

dhunley1

Enlightened
Did a tint comparison for someone on another forum, and figured I would post here as well.

M61NL on the left, M61LL Nichia 219B V2 in the center and M61LL on the right.

20161027_172606_zpsv3ujlaui.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.