The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
To easily retrieve your own measurements, so you don't have to search for them in these by now massive forums, you can put them into a spreadsheet whenever you make them :).

Many thanks for taking the time to add another data-point to our collection!

And also many more thanks for all the posts you've taken the time to collect here about your trail walking, I read them all the time and enjoy them tremendously.

Thanks but I have gotten more from the forums than have given!

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
M60LL will run on a single cell, with a couple of 34mm spacers .... Having regulated output may be rather low on the overall list of concerns, if things actually get to that point :shrug:

Exactly. My point was specifically to the M61 and its variants, and that there are other options that I consider better, such as the M60 variants with their wider range of acceptable voltages. However, I actually prefer the M31LL to M6X variants for emergency use. They eliminate the option of using Li-Ion, but I prefer using stored lithium primaries and Eneloops for emergency use rather than Li-Ion. In my experience they are simpler, more reliable and require less attention. No monitoring of voltages as with unprotected Li-Ions, no circuit boards as with protected Li-Ions, much greater shelf life. I use Li-Ions day in and out, but they're not my choice for "end of world".

yeah, M6*LL or LLL do run on a single 123. I cannot say it's bright nor has decent runtime - but runs it does.

And as pointed out above, you can use 9P with spacers if so inclined. But in the last 10 years I've never had issues with mismatched cells. It's not an issue. It won't suddenly blow up into stratosphere if voltage is different. Which shouldn't be in the first place.

You stick the cells in 9P with Malkoff LL or LLL or even LLLL, when it no longer runs, take them out.

Like I said, single cells are better in my opinion, others may not agree.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool.

the watt-hour equivalent is that of 4x123, except that such a configuration would entail 12V or more and not be workable, but 4xAA provides a similar runtime. If you are using Energizer Lithiums.

With Alkalines, you have a drastically different picture.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any thoughts on this "This light is in Mint Condition" 9P? Might be the photography but the rubber switch looks possibly more warn than the description indicates.

What is the chance of finding a real NOS 9P? What is the Malkoff version of the 9P?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Surefire-9P-...QAAOSwjDZYck~w

It looks minty to me. I see what you mean about the boot in the first pic, but it appears to be a focusing issue. The second pic (at another angle) confirms that it is not worn.

A MDX head with a MD3 body would be Malkoff's "9P".

Tribull

Enlightened
Hey All, it's not relevant to the current topic but is Malkoff related. I was looking at his uv light and thought it would be cool just to toy around with. Is it necessary to wear eye protection when using it or would you be fine without it?

Woods Walker

At 13:30. M61WL running of 16650 fresh as comparison

At 14:00 still looks the same but not 100% sure as it's day time. Going to the gym and will will leave the baby unsupervised. No one call Family Services.... ok.....

Woods Walker

Nice! Is that 18 hours, 35 minutes of run time?
How hot did the light get?
Yes but right now 19 hours and maybe 3 lumens which is still useful output. Never even felt warm and no surprised given the larger mass of the host and moderate output of the M61LL. I think it held regulation for around 14-15 hours.

Woods Walker

Cool. Thanks for doing this run time test and sharing the results with all of us!

Thanks.

Maybe a test of the KeepPower 2500 mAh protected Lithium ion for the M61LL next. Run it till the protection triggers. I want to compare the 4XAA with other battery types to see if the performance matches my hack numbers a few posts back and field observations. Still running this one and will check to see what the ending voltage on the charger is.

Edit.

KeepPowrer 2500 mAh 16650 works great in standard SF hosts not bored out.

Last edited:

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
M60LL on 4xAA. Eneloop brand. Made in japan version. Starting average 1.43 voltage each cell.

Shut down before I got home. Between 15-23 hours.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.