The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatbluewhite

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, redvalkyrie. Very useful info.

I've read about some CPF members' concern about the 'on time' logic of the multi-mode driver. I personally would prefer off-time logic, but can work around on-time logic since I highly value the flexibility of the six modes of the M361 with High/Low.

As reference for others, I found a post on CPF with M361N's beam profile:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Their-Thing&p=4357979&viewfull=1#post4357979

Nichia!

Banned
Ok so here is how it was done. M91W runtime test with 4XAA 2500 Duraloop pros LSD. Temps in the mid 30's falling to 30. I will be night running 5 miles on both dirt and paved roads.

So cold I need to wear gloves. This brings up another point. I hardly felt any warmth from the M91W in the Solarforce host during the first hour of testing. Felt the bezel and body with exposed skin multiple times and nearly nothing however it sure got warm inside during the previous day's testing. I did a few things the other day to reduce the temp but nothing worked like running in the lower 30's with a breeze. A few times I talked with people about thermo regulated lights (don't know if this is but that doesn't matter) and stated I noticed little reduction in output and then described the conditions. Sometimes I was then presented runtime charts with something like "the person had a fan on it" as if to disprove or prove something. That means little to me. Conditions in the field IMHO can't be replicated with a fan inside a house. Sorry but that's it.

5 minutes into the test showing the output at the front yard. Will be running from the house into the wild aka dirt roads of the town. LOL!

On paved roads about to enter wild country. Photos for the run being turned over to the cell phone. Moving too fast over some hilly roads to deal with my regular camera.

OMG! The pavement stops...

Ok enough drama. Back home in exactly one hour. Same shot. I was a bit closer to the White pine by accident but the light was just as bright to my eyes.

1:06 M91W on left MD2 M61N full power on right. M91W is still brighter. The MD2 really has a nice NW tint but when directly compared to the M91W it looks less good. Still fantastic NW but think the sun might be embarrassed in the tint department when compared to the M91W. Not sure why it has such a good tint.

Still rolling along at 1:20. I can detect a reduction in output.

Plants at 1:30. Did I mention I liked the tint?

Around 1:45 the light starter to flicker. I gave it a shake as sometimes when running 4XAA using 18650 X 3 stuff can shift however didn't have a single flicker during the run. But it still flickered and almost acted like a slow strobe. But then it settled down to a new lower output and was rock solid in terms of no more flickering till many 2:15ish with an occasional flickering starting up.

2:10 at least 3X the output of the MD2 on low per my eye.

Ending it here at 2:22.

What's led is that? And where to find this dropin?

archimedes

Flashaholic
What's led is that? And where to find this dropin?
Hi @Nichia!

Please don't re-quote a massive post with numerous pictures in its entirety, unless absolutely necessary, as it makes it harder to follow the thread (especially for those who may be browsing on devices with a small screen)

If you could limit the quotation to just the few lines, or a photo or two, to which you specifically refer ... it would help us all :)

Nichia!

Banned
Okay my friend, will do next time..
Anyway could you tell me about this dropin? I think it's xml?

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
I don't own a Malkoff mulit mode driver (yet) but it does seem like switch debounce that uses "on time" would be an adjustment. I'd really like an MDC for back up/emergency use, though. I don't see it being much of an issue for me. The new neutral variant puts the MDC high on my wish list.

It's the lack of mode memory that can be hard to understand. You can work around it and preset the light but I rarely need to do that. At least this was the only issue for me. It's not now though.

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
So where to get one? I have googled it and nothing!

You have to find one used. You should probably save yourself some time and get the current M91BW. The M91 series came in the following flavors: M91, M91W, M91NXML, M91XML2T6, M91AXML2, M91AWXML2, M91AWXML, M91B, M91BW.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Okay my friend, will do next time..
Anyway could you tell me about this dropin? I think it's xml?

Yes, I think the M91 was XML. Not entirely certain about the M91W, but likely also XML, of a warmer bin.

Yes the M91W uses a XM-L warm. Probably has one of the most desirable tints I own.

Woods Walker

My Malkoff dropin list is much more heavily weighted towards M3x and M6x variants .... When I need higher outputs, I tend to jump straight up to an HD (or WC) :shrug:

Occasionally I use it for a running flashlight during times when a headlamp isn't desirable. It floods the environment with bright nice tinted light. Running off 4XAA is cheap and the size is really a positive as holding it and running at the same time through the woods so need a good grip. Beyond that it's really like holding a light bulb . LOL!

archimedes

Flashaholic
Occasionally I use it for a running flashlight during times when a headlamp isn't desirable. It floods the environment with bright nice tinted light. Running off 4XAA is cheap and the size is really a positive as holding it and running at the same time through the woods so need a good grip. Beyond that it's really like holding a light bulb . LOL!

Wait ... M91W on 4xAA ?

Is it running in direct drive ?

Will that work on eneloop x4 , or only higher voltage AA ?

Woods Walker

Wait ... M91W on 4xAA ?

Is it running in direct drive ?

Will that work on eneloop x4 , or only higher voltage AA ?

This was a shocker but it's actually running on regulation full power and was verified by another. Check out that post Nichia quoted. Yes it works on NiMH 1.2 nominal volts just fine and actually runs them down very well.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Quite impressive.

I'd be very interested to see a complete output runtime graph of an M91 on 4x AA eneloops, if someone here with all of the tools to do so could organize this.

This might be a better emergency option than I had thought :thinking:

Last edited:

Woods Walker

Quite impressive.

I'd be very interested to see a complete output runtime graph of an M91 on 4x AA eneloops, if someone here with all of the tools to do so could organize this.

This might be a better emergency option than I had thought :thinking:

I think it will show the light holding regulation the same if not (thinking it's longer) than 3XCR123. I never ran it on 2X18650 but going to buy a set of protected 18650 3500 Keepowers for that purpose. Though there is plenty of warning aka the taper so over discharging probably wouldn't happen still as use it in the woods sometimes need to squeeze out every last drop. Not ever really ideal but is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.