The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WebHobbit

Enlightened
edd2315923a3f83da39bb65bcc9a54d9.jpg

22.3 - 16.5 - surefire 6P

Cool now I can see the physical difference. Now could someone explain how this would come into play? My M61 (regular) has a band/lip on top that limits the beam to the size of the standard 16.5 anyway....so which Malkoff drop-ins would benefit from the larger window area?

Last edited:
I am also waiting for the arrival of a dropin m61t. I have a m61hot, but I think the m61t model has a better balance between power and consumption. in my research I found that it is much more powerful than the m60 model and with little difference in consumption. It's literally an upgrade. in the future I would like to have an m60 for collection purposes.

WebHobbit

Enlightened
OK guys....convince me which is better for an EDC. I have this narrowed down to two choices...both will be using a single CR123A primary:

1) Malkoff MDC CR123a Single High Output 250 lumens for 45-60 minutes

or

2) Malkoff MDC CR123a body + Malkoff VME head + M31= 280 lumens (and here the run-time is NOT listed on Malkoff's site for some reason so I would like to know this!)

Price comes out to almost exactly the same $124.00 after I add the stainless bezel ring to the regular MDC head. No such option exists for the VME....which is a bummer as I do LOVE a stainless bezel trim!

So to recap - assuming the run-times are the same then it looks like it breaks down like this:

VME option pros:

Cooler looking head shape? Kind of.

Slightly more lumen output

VME cons:

No stainless trim for head

Slightly WIDER head (I will be pocket carrying with clip)

Head pieces don't close all the way with this combo for some reason..leaving an odd little gap?

Standard CR123a MDC Head pros:

beautiful stainless trim head

slimmer head

Standard CR123a MDC Head cons:

slightly less out-put (250 versus 280)

Am I missing anything guys? Help me out here. Make your case for either!

Last edited:

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK guys....convince me which is better for an EDC. I have this narrowed down to two choices...both will be using a single CR123A primary:

or

2) Malkoff MDC CR123a body + Malkoff VME head + M31= 280 lumens (and here the run-time is NOT listed on Malkoff's site for some reason so I would like to know this!)

Price comes out to almost exactly the same $124.00 after I add the stainless bezel ring to the regular MDC head. No such option exists for the VME....which is a bummer as I do LOVE a stainless bezel trim!

So to recap - assuming the run-times are the same then it looks like it breaks down like this:

VME option pros:

Cooler looking head shape? Kind of.

Slightly more lumen output

VME cons:

No stainless trim for head

Slightly WIDER head (I will be pocket carrying with clip)

Head pieces don't close all the way with this combo for some reason..leaving an odd little gap?

Standard CR123a MDC Head pros:

beautiful stainless trim head

slimmer head

Standard CR123a MDC Head cons:

slightly less out-put (250 versus 280)

I've tried carrying a VME/MDC123 combo but the head is really wide for pocket carry. For that reason alone I would go with the MDC head.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The VME head plus M31 will also give you the ability to build an omnivore light. You can run it with the 1xCR123 body, the 2 x AA body and, if I'm not mistaken, the 1 x AA body. It would be the perfect emergency/power outage light. Also, you can get battery sleeves that would allow you to use AAA batteries in the AA tubes.

I don't own this set up yet, but it's on my short list.

Random Dan

I would particularly pick a mdc host in conjunction with a vme head. I prefer the vme head model because using it will be possible to do a dropin upgrade in the future.

the 16650 (2500mAh) battery has 2 times more capacity than the rcr 16340 (700mAh or 18350 (900mAh)) batteries.

here in brazil the cr123 disposable batteries are expensive and very difficult to find, so I also prefer the rechargeable ones ... however 700 / 900mAh is very little for me.

to finalize I believe a dropin model m361lmh would form a perfect set. this model can be found in the cool white, neutral or nichia version (on the illumn site). the dropin has three well-divided modes (15 lumens / 80 lumens / 375 lumens).

Current Draw: 50 m / 270 m / 1450 m

with this dropin you will have power when you need it and also have a lot of runtime if one day is needed.

it is notorious that in the maximum mode the consumption is great, but together with a battery 16650 this negative point is a little softened

in my day to day I used this dropin for a long time in a solarforce host for rcr164340 batteries and I have always been well attended. for day-to-day tasks I usually used the weaker mode (70% of the time). the middle mode illuminates enough, a room, a whole garage, the backyard.

the maximum mode is stronger than the strong mode of a traditional m61.

I currently use an mdc 16650 host with a dropin m361 or a mdc aa flashlight

archimedes

Flashaholic

or

2) Malkoff MDC CR123a body + Malkoff VME head + M31= 280 lumens ....

I prefer the modularity of the VME.

1bUUZak.jpg

However (although I haven't measured it exactly) for EDC, it may be worth thinking about the weight differential among those options too.

WebHobbit

I replaced the head 16.5 of my lanterns with dropin of greater power (m61, m91, wildcat, m61hot, m61t, etc) by heads 22.3.

only the low dropins continued in lanterns with head 16.5.

what I noticed was a more intense beam. the hotspot was very similar, but the corona and the spill improved a lot, since the focus is more open.

I recommend upgrading at least to the traditional m61 dropins just as I did.

the m61hot and m61t models come from Gene's fantastic factory with the head 22.3.

WebHobbit

Enlightened
I just pulled the trigger on the MDC CR123 HA SHO. I do like the look of the VME head but the whole point of retiring my MD2 from carry duty was to get something thinner and lighter. So the MDC standard head won for now. Also I don't really want to add a different rechargeable battery type beyond my 18650s. I keep some CR123a cells on hand to backup my 18650 lights anyway so I don't mind the idea of a single CR123a based light. As a rule I only do single cell lights now. Since I live in the US I can easily get Panasonic CR123a for less than $1.60 each online...or around $2.00 each for SF in packs of 12 at the local Lowes if I am desperate. I think my daily usage of the EDC would amount to no more than 5-10 minutes on average or less some days. So it shouldn't be too costly...I hope.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
.or around $2.00 each for SF in packs of 12 at the local Lowes if I am desperate. I think my daily usage of the EDC would amount to no more than 5-10 minutes on average or less some days. So it shouldn't be too costly...I hope.

Seems like an inexpensive, low maintenance EDC set up. Congrats on the purchase.

I have to say, though, that if your local Lowes sells CR123's for $2.00 each, then you're getting a far better deal in Indiana than we get here!

WebHobbit

Enlightened
Well it was $23.99 for a 12 pack a couple of weeks ago....now the website says $27.99 at the same location. I guess they went up?

edit: maybe I got it for $24.00 after my 5% discount for using a Lowes Card?

Last edited:

WebHobbit

Enlightened
WebHobbit

I replaced the head 16.5 of my lanterns with dropin of greater power (m61, m91, wildcat, m61hot, m61t, etc) by heads 22.3.

only the low dropins continued in lanterns with head 16.5.

what I noticed was a more intense beam. the hotspot was very similar, but the corona and the spill improved a lot, since the focus is more open.

I recommend upgrading at least to the traditional m61 dropins just as I did.

the m61hot and m61t models come from Gene's fantastic factory with the head 22.3.

So are the 22.3 heads normally in the parts section of Malkoff's site? I ask because right now they don't seem to be listed!

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just scored an 18650 Hound Dog head from WTS (hey, from the poster above, :) ) That will pair nicely with the 18650's I recently liberated from an old laptop battery. Planning on using the MD3 body and a spacer. Don't have an MD2, but I have an MD4, which will power my original HD head.

WebHobbit
---------

head 22.3 is not listed on the site, but you may request that Cathy add in your order or replace model 16.5 with model 22.3.

In my last purchases I requested this replacement.

So are the MDC heads smaller and lighter than a VMA head/M31 combo?

yes, mdc heads are smaller in diameter.
inside them there is a "mini" dropin, very well glued, there is no possibility of change except by the manufacturer.

The vme heads enable the use of any dropin m61.
I really like the modularity provided by that head.
in my opinion, the only two points to improve is the fact that there is no ring high / low for this head and the fact that it is not possible to use a bezel ring.

DSC_3476_4.jpg

DSC_3472_4.jpg

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, mdc heads are smaller in diameter.
inside them there is a "mini" dropin, very well glued, there is no possibility of change except by the manufacturer.

The vme heads enable the use of any dropin m61.
I really like the modularity provided by that head.
in my opinion, the only two points to improve is the fact that there is no ring high / low for this head and the fact that it is not possible to use a bezel ring.

DSC_3476_4.jpg

DSC_3472_4.jpg
Wow, thanks for the info. I had no idea how small the new heads are. Although I miss out on a low mode and bezel ring, I think I still prefer the simple reliability of my old VME head / 1st release M31W (neutral tint) with either my CR123 or 2AA twisty bodies. Although the VME heads are bigger, the twisty bodies sure are smaller (if you can handle a twisty) :)

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received my M61HOT with the tri-cap! It's like a Hound Dog Super Puppy. Love it! :wow:

I was afraid that I might snob out because of the tint but it is quite pleasant. It's a creamy white, bluish to be sure, but no green. I can't wait until dark, so I can put it through its paces.

As for the tri-cap, the finish is immaculate. And.....drum roll please....I just put a Malkoff on my end table and it didn't try to roll off! It's official folks! Malkoff devices are now flawless, at least in one junkie's opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.