The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with you Glimmer, i prefer color accuracy as well.

If all of the malkoff lights were offered in neutral hi-cri, wether its cree or nichia, i would buy every one.

I'm not sure why Gene hasn't pursued it more. The only hi-cri light is the wildcat v6 (not sure if other wildcats were hi-cri).

The 219's are an illumn exclusive. Not sure if there was an agreement for Gene not to sell them himself? Something just doesn't add up.

Maybe you and i are in the minority and others do not care or need the color accuracy? IDK
I guess I don't always need it either but I highly prefer it and there are times when i do need to be able to see colors accurately

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with you guys, but as I reflect on it, I realize that I don't have a profile on the typical Malkoff user. Obviously, I'm a Malkoff user, but I'm also a hobbyist and therefore a poor reference point. Besides the junkies, what's Mr. Malkoff's target demographic? Military? Self-defense? Outdoorsmen? Does he have contracts with police agencies? He makes such a variety of lights, it's hard to nail it down. I wonder how many people, besides us junkies, really care about CRI?

Does the challenge of marketing high CRI lights with their reduced output specs explain why they are a small side project? Or is the deal with illumn designed to expand Malkoff's online footprint? I'd be interested to know. In the mean time, I'm waiting in line with you guys.

glimmer

Newly Enlightened
Unless one is a flashlight junkie/nerd who spends time on a flashlight forum, they would probably be completely unaware of the high CRI Malkoff offerings from Illumn. Maybe I should just be glad they are (occasionally) available at all... I'll bet Illumn is not getting rich selling them!

If the average user could just see a high CRI light and a cool white side by side, many would demand the high CRI. My thinking changed completely once I did.

Blues

Enlightened
I agree with you guys, but as I reflect on it, I realize that I don't have a profile on the typical Malkoff user. Obviously, I'm a Malkoff user, but I'm also a hobbyist and therefore a poor reference point. Besides the junkies, what's Mr. Malkoff's target demographic? Military? Self-defense? Outdoorsmen? Does he have contracts with police agencies? He makes such a variety of lights, it's hard to nail it down. I wonder how many people, besides us junkies, really care about CRI?

Does the challenge of marketing high CRI lights with their reduced output specs explain why they are a small side project? Or is the deal with illumn designed to expand Malkoff's online footprint? I'd be interested to know. In the mean time, I'm waiting in line with you guys.

I think it comes down to a variety of factors. Some folks I know in law enforcement, for example, want "all the lumens". On the other hand, someone examining a crime scene or performing a search for evidence would benefit from realistic color accuracy. Others may be somewhere in the middle and be more concerned with the robustness of the unit and its ability to withstand hard usage.

Half of my eight Malkoff lights are cool white and the other half are neutral. I find that both are useful. Generally, I tend to use the neutral lights more often than the cool white, but there are times when I like the brightness, throw and penetration I get with the CW.

(My newly arrived CW Hound Dog 18650 came in handy last night sending a possum off the porch and scurrying down the hill before my dog could get to it.)

It would be interesting to find out from Gene what percentage of his orders fall into each category.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I realize the Nichia Malkoff are super popular here, but I have always strongly preferred the "warm" Malkoffs to the N219 versions.

I have plenty of non-Malkoff Nichia ... including McGizmo N083 / N119 / N119V ... Vinz N219 ... even Sigma N319A ... but there is just something I find to be sort of "sterile" to the particular Nichia emitters used for the Malkoffs I've tried.

Obviously, my taste in this is somewhat idiosyncratic :shrug:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I have been evaluating the the M31W in a MD3 body for back county use. It eats up a set of Eneloops just over an hour. The max range I was able to cover was 4 miles. Not exactly as it enters the tapered stage but night trail running in the fog it just ate up the batteries too fast. The M31L was just as field effective but with longer runtimes. I am going to keep the G3/M31L with omnivore kit in the adventure pack and use the M31W for other things aka maybe E&E or EDC. I do want a M31LL using 219B but illumination supply needs to move on this. LOL! Kinda pissing me off.

Last edited:

glimmer

Newly Enlightened
I realize the Nichia Malkoff are super popular here, but I have always strongly preferred the "warm" Malkoffs to the N219 versions...

Interesting. I would love to try a warm MDC if it ever comes to fruition! The M61WLL is another that I could find a use for. I need to try a warm Malkoff....

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened

When I've shown people my lights they often comment that the warm tint looks nicer than the cool white they usually see on LED flashlights even if they've never heard of CRI. I think it's something that could appeal to more than hobbyists.

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened
Question for you guys in regards to 18650:

Do you guys fret over charging/discharging your batteries?

I want to like this battery chemistry, but at the same time I miss how nonchalant I'm able to be with my NiMH-powered lights. Basically, I want to be able to use the light until output drops off dramatically (or the even until the cell dies), toss in a fresh cell, toss the spent cell on the charger, and be able to leave the spent cell on the charger (perhaps even for a few days, assuming I accidentally forget it's on there) without obsessing over it.

Given all of that, I'm wondering if Lithium Ion is the right way for me to go? Perhaps I should stick to the MDC AA line or the numerous 2xAA M31 configurations.

P.S. I use the same Keeppower cells and Nitecore charger that Gene sells on his site.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to worry about lithium ion but not anymore. Mainly because I don't use lights that take those cells now. I've gone strictly Eneloop and don't miss the higher output, bigger, 18650 lights. I just didn't want the hassle or having to worry about charging etc.

I want to like this battery chemistry, but at the same time I miss how nonchalant I'm able to be with my NiMH-powered lights. Basically, I want to be able to use the light until output drops off dramatically (or the even until the cell dies), toss in a fresh cell, toss the spent cell on the charger, and be able to leave the spent cell on the charger (perhaps even for a few days, assuming I accidentally forget it's on there) without obsessing over it.

Given all of that, I'm wondering if Lithium Ion is the right way for me to go? Perhaps I should stick to the MDC AA line or the numerous 2xAA M31 configurations.

P.S. I use the same Keeppower cells and Nitecore charger that Gene sells on his site.

archimedes

Flashaholic

Not excessively so, but yes

Given all of that, I'm wondering if Lithium Ion is the right way for me to go? ....

Respectfully, I would say, no.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Interesting. I would love to try a warm MDC if it ever comes to fruition! The M61WLL is another that I could find a use for. I need to try a warm Malkoff....

When I've shown people my lights they often comment that the warm tint looks nicer than the cool white they usually see on LED flashlights even if they've never heard of CRI. I think it's something that could appeal to more than hobbyists.

Yes, this has been my exact experience, as well.

No need for any technical discussion, many people will prefer a nice warm tint, if shown both side-by-side :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
To me, the Malkoff warm is like an old 6P using 20 minute old batteries. A 'worn' incan bulb look. The Malkoff neutral like that P60 with a fresh set of batteries. Overdriven incan excellence.

I lucked up and found an NLL. When compared side by side with a WLL, the warm beam was not any 'dimmer' and lit objects just as far. Yet details were more easily discerned at the far end of the lighting range from the neutral beam.

Walking around in a comfortable atmosphere seemed more pleasing with the output of the warm beam. But when arriving in a scenario fraught with unknowns like terrain or potential critters that ease of identifying objects provided a more confindent experience than with the warm beam.

Neither gave a sense of discomfort to the eyes like a "blinding white" beam.

My view is Gene's neutral tint is a wonderful compromise between detail identification of a cool beam with a calming effect of a warm beam.

Last edited:

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
To me, the Malkoff warm is like an old 6P using 20 minute old batteries. A 'worn' incan bulb look. The Malkoff neutral like that P60 with a fresh set of batteries. Overdriven incan excellence.

I lucked up and found an NLL. When compared side by side with a WLL, the warm beam was not any 'dimmer' and lit objects just as far. Yet details were more easily discerned at the far end of the lighting range from the neutral beam.

Walking around in a comfortable atmosphere seemed more pleasing with the output of the warm beam. But when arriving in a scenario fraught with unknowns like terrain or potential critters that ease of identifying objects provided a more confindent experience than with the warm beam.

Neither gave a sense of discomfort to the eyes like a "blinding white" beam.

My view is Gene's neutral tint is a wonderful compromise between detail identification of a cool beam with a calming effect of a warm beam.

You should work in the marketing department at Malkoff. ;D

I'm sold on a Malkoff already as its on the ever shrinking list of makers I think are the best of the best that I still don't own an example of. But reading that gives me a feeling of confidence buying both a warm and neutral example.

If you're reading this Gene, I would kill for a Warm Malkoff EDC. Personally I want a 16650 and/or a single A123 but I never use disposable batteries, so either a li-ion option for the A123 or I'd just use the head from the 16650 with an A123 body when I want something small.

dhunley1

Enlightened
I had all of the M61 Nichia variants from Illum at some point, and sold them all but the LLL, in favor of the neutral XP-G2 drop ins. The neutral XP-G2 casts a cleaner, more throwy beam and I prefer the warmth of them over the Nichia. That being said, for low light, up close use, I prefer the MDC 1AA Nichia over the XP-G2 models.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with you. I have an MDC 123 Nichia and an M61 Nichia, I love using them both, but they are definite middle of the night lights, when you don't want an optical shock. The whiter Nichias in my HDS and Oveready are great all the time use emitters. Apart from in the middle of the night, obviously.
P

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess there is no perfect light. I can say even with the Nichia's it all depends on the time of day I'm using the light. There are too many variables i suppose. Sometimes if using a light at home during the day, a whiter light is better, but at night; the whiter light might be too white. The whiter light even being hi-cri can still tend to wash out colors at night, or not be quite accurate. However hi-cri does a better job at color accuracy than CW or neutral standard (80cri).

I do not think Gene has a target at law enforcement, or at least not in the same regards as say Elzetta. But as Blue said, It depends on the officer and what they need as well. Last year I got pulled over in Kentucky by a state trooper for a roadside inspection. (apparently everyone thinks a Coloradoian does drugs, have had issues with Indiana too) Anyway, when he was done; I asked him what flashlight he used and if he has ever heard of Malkoff or Elzetta. He said he has heard of them and would like to use something else or at least try something else but they are issued Surefire, so that is what he uses.

It is shown on flashlightguide and I think an elzetta video, what the importance of color accuracy is for law enforcement, rescue searches, etc. It can be very difficult to determine accurate colors if you do not have the proper light. If officers are chasing someone on foot, they need to be able to accurately describe what someone is wearing or possibly describing the color of a building or what not, to respond/warn others. A light like M61HOT, surefire, similar will result in wrong information being sent to others because those lights will not show the true colors and can make certain colors look like other colors. You get the point.

For most of us, this isn't an issue or necessity. I just do not like shining a light around and the environment is washed out, etc.

For those that have to look at wires, resistors, etc; it is very critical for the light to show accurate colors. Working in a communications room, emergency splicing if a phone line gets cut, etc requires accurate light so the coded wires to not get mixed up. I have worked with phone splicers out in the field or communications rooms for over 10yrs and it can be a pain to figure out where a mix up happened on a 2400pr cable, especially once it's been resealed in the encapsulant.

These are just a couple examples I have encountered where color accuracy is critical. For the daily user, obviously not as important. However I just like things to be natural and accurate.

My parents prefer cool white lights and don't mind if there is a blue tint. To their eyes it looks better and BRIGHTER. That's what they said to me when i tried to explain my thoughts/likes. I feel that this is where many others lie.
Everyone's eyes are different and are effected differently to the different tints. also needs/priorities will be different as well.

Some like CW, some warm, others neutral/nichia. I guess that is why we have variety. I would be more open to CW as long as it has a good tint that doesn't have blue or green in it, probably not going to happen. The only CW Malkoff light I have been able to tolerate so far, has been the CW Super. Although the rainbow of colors in the beam can bother me at times.
Obviously CW has the best efficiency, but from my experience and needs, I haven't had any issues with the neutral or Nichia light's. In situations like WoodsWalker encounters all the time, i can see where efficiency would be most important.

Well, that's enough of my 2 cents. Hope everyone is having a good day!

The best...

30ec12aba45be4211c2613272c7b2302.jpg

Or nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts