The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I'm new to this scene so I'm unaware of any historical patterns that may be relevant.

I bought a M31LL when I probably would have been better served by the M61LL/LLL since I primarily use li-ion cells, but I was curious. And I'm occasionally willing to indulge my curiosity. I will probably end up getting a M61LL/LLL anyways and my experience with the M31LL will help me decide if that M61LL/LLL will be a 219B or a Malkoff N.

--flatline

Lately I've been enjoying Cree XPG2 4000k, IMO it's the perfect tint - M61NLL is my choice over 219b

ThomGault

Newly Enlightened
The above is a good point and I'd guess that for LL or LLL models standard Eneloops are the better choice. What I wonder about is Panasonic's website mentions pros for camera flashes or other high drain devices. Ignoring for a moment the capacity/recharge tradeoff if one is using an M31 or other drop-in with higher current demands would the pros work better? I couldn't find specific info on the website about current handling capability.
Dan

I'm not well-versed in electrical hardware, but when I researched normal v. pro a few years ago for non-flashlight uses, the general consensus that I heard is that the capacity/recharge tradeoff is why the pros work better in some circumstances...i.e. the entire point of the Pro is that they hold more charge and don't need to be changed out so often, which is important for, e.g., a live-action photographer who can't take time to swap out batteries.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
My decision between the two will be based on whether I decide I prefer the 219B's tint/cri over the Malkoff N tint/cri.

--flatline

I was initially put off by the 219b. After having used 4000K Crees from Malkoff for so long, the Nichia just reminded me of a typical cool white emitter, despite the enormous difference in color rendition. With a little use I developed an appreciation for the Nichia and now I'm quite fond of it.

I have, among others, an M31LL 219b, which will have the same output and beam profile as an M61LLL 219b. At the risk of being a snob, I prefer the Nichia in the evening and a neutral or warm Cree late at night. The Nichia has too much affinity with sunlight for nocturnal rhythms, in my opinion, but I'm a flashoholic.

If you're undecided, but you're sure you don't want both, I would suggest getting a cheap light that uses the Nicha 219b so you can sample it. Just my two cents.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never tried a Malkoff Nichia but I do have an HDS and a Lumintop Tool both with 219b and my M61NL looks almost identical tint-wise, just a bit more "flat" in color rendering.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
My friend gave me the M60F, this is a wonderful module!
Pleasant and uniform light, at distances of up to 10-15 meters illuminates everything well.
I put it into the body of G2, then I remembered that the module was bad for overheating
and I installed my head from 6P. I think that an even better option would be if we put it
in a whole 6P.

Here G2 with head 6P with bezel Xeno ST03:

Now I have a choice, I would be very grateful for the help. I have 4 cells Tenergy LiFePO4
400 mAh, I bought them for SF E1L, but the work time is still too small. Now I decided to use only
primary cells in single-cell light. But I do not want to throw out my Tenergy,
they can be recharged 1500 times, and I did it only about 10 times.

I want to ask that if I take the module Malkoff M61LL or M61WLL
or M61NLL, then I can have in a two-cell body around 3 hours for work?

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
My friend gave me the M60F, this is a wonderful module!
Pleasant and uniform light, at distances of up to 10-15 meters illuminates everything well.
I put it into the body of G2, then I remembered that the module was bad for overheating
and I installed my head from 6P. I think that an even better option would be if we put it
in a whole 6P.

Now I have a choice, I would be very grateful for the help. I have 4 cells Tenergy LiFePO4
400 mAh, I bought them for SF E1L, but the work time is still too small. Now I decided to use only
primary cells in single-cell light. But I do not want to throw out my Tenergy,
they can be recharged 1500 times, and I did it only about 10 times.

I want to ask that if I take the module Malkoff M61LL or M61WLL
or M61NLL, then I can have in a two-cell body around 3 hours for work?
Glad you are liking the M60F. I like the M60's but tint color is not good with my eyes. Not sure if Neutral M60's were made, but that would be my choice

This is what you can expect on M61WLL. You will get way more than 3hrs if you use 2x primary in MD2

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
As modernflame has touched on... I believe there is no perfect light and different tints work for different tasks/times of day, etc.
I may be in the minority (literally as well) but Nichia is my go to emitter most of the time. However i do like the Neutral and Warm Malkoff variants too.

Someone has been itching to see M31LLL results. I do not know what i was thinking but i started the test on rayovac primary. I am not sure how much testing I will do for this module as we all know runtimes will be extreme (which is not my cup of tea)
This is also holding me back from my M31L v1 vs v2 testing along with all the other testing that needs to be done.

I have noticed that there are several modules that I do not have basic data for. I have tested those in the past without a meter, but not logged testing.

Since I will have to wait for several hours for this test to complete; I think I plan to start getting my data together for the current draw/ specs sheet. This will be another long task as there are many voltage options for ea module, but I will start with the basics as is normally stated on Malkoff/Illumn sites

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
INFRNL Thank you very much!

If the primary cell have about 10 hours, primary cell capacity ~ 1500 mAh, Tenergy LiFePO4 ~ 400 mAh,
means we have about 2.6 hours, this makes me happy!

Now we need to choose a shade. I see that there are old photos of the beam in this stream,
but the majority is not shown by a photobucket..
Anyone can show beam M61WLL and M61LL beside?

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

If the primary cell have about 10 hours, primary cell capacity ~ 1500 mAh, Tenergy LiFePO4 ~ 400 mAh,

Now we need to choose a shade. I see that there are old photos of the beam in this stream,

The beam will be the same. Only the tint and brightness is effected. I have the M61WL so can't help but will look for some beam shots anyways. Also run them with a KeepPower 16650 in a G2. The times and output are nearly identical to 2XCR123.

Woods Walker

I just got 62 hours for an Alky AA in the MD1.5 using a M31LL 219. The tint shift looked very much like a W in the looooong moonlight taper.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beam will be the same. Only the tint and brightness is effected. I have the M61WL so can't help but will look for some beam shots anyways. Also run them with a KeepPower 16650 in a G2. The times and output are nearly identical to 2XCR123.

Thank you!
In G2 stand EagTac 16650, they are not worse KeepPower.
Yes, that's right, the shape of the beam is identical. I'm interested the shade of the beam.
I choose M61LL or M61WLL only because exist capabilities of the efficient use
of batteries Tenergy LiFePO4, that is, a long work time.

KBobAries

Enlightened
...the general consensus that I heard is that the capacity/recharge tradeoff is why the pros work better in some circumstances...i.e. the entire point of the Pro is that they hold more charge and don't need to be changed out so often, which is important for, e.g., a live-action photographer who can't take time to swap out batteries.

Right, increased capacity is a worthwhile tradeoff in sitiuations like the one you mentioned. However, what I couldn't find on the Panasonic website was info regarding current capabilities. In addition to higher capacity does the pro also have a higher amperage rating? If it does, then while a standard will work well with an M31LLL it would also be a worthwhile tradeoff to use a pro with an M31.

Dan

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

The primaries i use are 1400mah but perform just as well as the 1500+mah primaries
It may be hard to get the beamshots as it might be hard to find someone that has the modules. I have the modules but never had good luck trying to shoot the beamshots.

If you like a nice neutral/creamy tint, then you would want to go with Neutral, if you like warmer, closer to incan; then Warm would be the way to go.
:p
I have no idea how long this test will run for, we are currently just over 12hrs or so with no change.
I'm going to have to add the 16650 to the test for these modules. see how they compare to the 18650
I just got 62 hours for an Alky AA in the MD1.5 using a M31LL 219. The tint shift looked very much like a W in the looooong moonlight taper.
I'm glad that someone doesn't mind the extremely long tests. My new method is to get down to 1lm, unless it runs overnight.

The M31L 219b v1 I just tested is still running and putting out a decent moonlight. many of these tests will keep running like the energizer bunny, but i do not post the results or keep logging them. With my tests, unless they actually cut off; you can count on them running the loooooong moonlight mode for hours and hours if not into the days as you are seeing.

I forgot to mention: I will start adding the standard eneloops in on the testing or may change that to my main battery for eneloops. It would seem that most would choose the standard over pro. When I get more time or there is a request I will eventually run both.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right, increased capacity is a worthwhile tradeoff in sitiuations like the one you mentioned. However, what I couldn't find on the Panasonic website was info regarding current capabilities. In addition to higher capacity does the pro also have a higher amperage rating? If it does, then while a standard will work well with an M31LLL it would also be a worthwhile tradeoff to use a pro with an M31.

Dan
Sounds like we need to do a test between a higher demanding module and an average module to see if we notice an obvious difference on the eneloops

I am sure the pro's can handle a higher load better ,but I am not sure there would be any real world difference. I would say the difference is mostly on paper

Kind of like a sony vtc6 vs sanyo GA/ LG MJ1. Sony will do better under extreme loads but these lights do not put out a big enough load to effect runtime. I have actually tested all 3 of these cells in a zebralight on max output with no benefit from the sony. The lower capacity of the sony showed that it could not provide the same runtime as Sanyo/LG

Maybe the pro's are recommended for camera flashes because they recover faster from the burst of the load resulting in quicker times to recharge the flash. this would not apply to us though. IDK

glimmer

Newly Enlightened

Nice! I recently set up an M31LLL 219B with a single AA. I wonder if there will be any difference in run-time vs. an M31LL 219B with an AA. I'm guessing if they're both in direct drive, they'll function the same. Surprising output on this thing- much higher than expected.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was initially put off by the 219b. After having used 4000K Crees from Malkoff for so long, the Nichia just reminded me of a typical cool white emitter, despite the enormous difference in color rendition. With a little use I developed an appreciation for the Nichia and now I'm quite fond of it.

I have, among others, an M31LL 219b, which will have the same output and beam profile as an M61LLL 219b. At the risk of being a snob, I prefer the Nichia in the evening and a neutral or warm Cree late at night. The Nichia has too much affinity with sunlight for nocturnal rhythms, in my opinion, but I'm a flashoholic.

If you're undecided, but you're sure you don't want both, I would suggest getting a cheap light that uses the Nicha 219b so you can sample it. Just my two cents.

I've got examples of both and I know that I like both better than the Malkoff cool or warm tints. I just don't know which I like best.

My current bases are actually already covered pretty well, but you know how it goes...got an extra host...must get a dropin for it...

--flatline

thaugen

Enlightened
I am very pleased with my new Malkoff Tricap!

IBw34NW.jpg

Woods Walker

Nice! I recently set up an M31LLL 219B with a single AA. I wonder if there will be any difference in run-time vs. an M31LL 219B with an AA. I'm guessing if they're both in direct drive, they'll function the same. Surprising output on this thing- much higher than expected.

There is a chance the LLL might be different. I wonder if it doesn't get brighter on DD if the battery is still good? It seems all the M31s are the same as the regulated output is higher than the DD. With the LLL the regulated output would be less than DD of the rest of the family. Have you tried it with a CR123 or 2XAA?

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a chance the LLL might be different. I wonder if it doesn't get brighter on DD if the battery is still good? It seems all the M31s are the same as the regulated output is higher than the DD. With the LLL the regulated output would be less than DD of the rest of the family. Have you tried it with a CR123 or 2XAA?

...light gets brighter...

"Whoops! Time to change the battery!"

Actually, I would be surprised if that happened. At such a low current draw, I would expect it to be able to stay in regulation at a lower voltage than the other M31 variants. If not, then I would expect Gene to tune a resistor in the DD circuit so that DD at matches the regulated output and goes down from there.

But this is all speculation. I haven't designed a circuit in 20 years...

--flatline

Status
Not open for further replies.