The Official Zebralight Thread .

jak

Enlightened
chillinn.... Time to take some more time off. Not even going to give a warning this time. You already know. See you after Christmas. :wave::santa:
Sorry, I'm late to this discussion, but what exactly did that guy say to get banned? Is there something that you can quote? I'm only asking because I agreed with many of the points/counterpoints he addressed/made, and wish not to be banned. Maybe I missed something?
(DM/PM me if this is not the suitable place to respond.)

MB320

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I'm late to this discussion, but what exactly did that guy say to get banned? Is there something that you can quote? I'm only asking because I agreed with many of the points/counterpoints he addressed/made, and wish not to be banned. Maybe I missed something?

I agree, thought he added needed balance to the discussion. A 'ban' seemed pretty hasty.

likethevegetable

Enlightened
SMH... says a bunch about your character. Hope you're proud.

So you stole 20 bucks and bragged about it on a flashlight forum. Congratulations.

Guys, me admitting to my shiesty antics is not bragging about it, I'm definitely ashamed, haha. Am I going to lose sleep over borrowing a fews cents worth of adhesive plastic from a multi-billion dollar corporation (that othwise would have costed 1/5 of my ZebraLight)? Heck no. But would I purchase something of more substantial value, abuse it, and return it to a small company that is owned by hard-working people more like me? Definitely not.

It's easy to be sanctimonious over the internet. I'm sure you guys have done a few greasy things in your days.

Last edited:

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
No more terrible than those that would purchase multiple lights of the same model, pick the best tint of the bunch, then return the rest...

He who is without sin, let him cast the first stone.

I find no fault here!!!

Cheers, Jim

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, me admitting to my shiesty antics is not bragging about it, I'm definitely ashamed, haha. Am I going to lose sleep over borrowing a fews cents worth of adhesive plastic from a multi-billion dollar corporation (that othwise would have costed 1/5 of my ZebraLight)? Heck no. But would I purchase something of more substantial value, abuse it, and return it to a small company that is owned by hard-working people more like me? Definitely not.

It's easy to be sanctimonious over the internet. I'm sure you guys have done a few greasy things in your days.

You're not screwing Home Depot. You're screwing the next guy that buys the roll of DC-Fix, after Home Depot puts it back on the shelf.

And, in any case, it's still not okay to steal from HD.

desmobob

Enlightened

The person who pays their hard-earned money to buy that returned roll is the one who has to deal with your actions, not the multi-billion-dollar corporation that you have decided it's OK to steal from. If you try hard enough, you can justify stealing anything from anyone...

And no; I'm no angel, but that doesn't mean I can't find issue with your ethics.

Still enjoying my H600w MkII and trying to be an honest person,
Bob

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
The person who pays their hard-earned money to buy that returned roll is the one who has to deal with your actions, not the multi-billion-dollar corporation that you have decided it's OK to steal from. If you try hard enough, you can justify stealing anything from anyone...

And no; I'm no angel, but that doesn't mean I can't find issue with your ethics.

Still enjoying my H600w MkII and trying to be an honest person,
Bob
Nicely said.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

NPL

Enlightened
The green tint has me from pulling the trigger.
The green tint is not nearly as bad as XP-L2 high cri ZLs. If you add a Lee Zircon minus green filter, will remove any green. I added a Lee Zircon minus green to my sc64c LE and beam is perfect now.

I have even used stronger Lee filters on the XP-L2 to make the beam rosy, but at a bigger sacrifice on output.

Greta

Flashaholic

I agree, thought he added needed balance to the discussion. A 'ban' seemed pretty hasty.

Rule #4

Nothing more to see here. Move along.

How about those Zebralights, eh? :D

desmobob

Enlightened
I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, but why did Zebralight stop supporting the use of 14500s in the AA lights? Once I discovered AA lights that could use a 14500 (I love my Tool AAs and EagTac D25A MkII), I started thinking about picking up another Zebralight headlamp in AA size. Then I found out they didn't support the 14500 and the desire to purchase one kind of waned.

I know it's not really a big deal, but it did make the difference in my deciding to pass on another one headlamp from Zebralight.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, but why did Zebralight stop supporting the use of 14500s in the AA lights? Once I discovered AA lights that could use a 14500 (I love my Tool AAs and EagTac D25A MkII), I started thinking about picking up another Zebralight headlamp in AA size. Then I found out they didn't support the 14500 and the desire to purchase one kind of waned.

I know it's not really a big deal, but it did make the difference in my deciding to pass on another one headlamp from Zebralight.

Probably they just started using a different driver, and it didn't support dual-chemistry. I'm sure that Zebralight doesn't design their own drivers, they just use off-the-shelf components. Basically, the NiMH-only driver got close-enough to the output of the dual driver, so they figured it didn't add all that much value anymore. At the time, lithium-ion 14500 cells didn't have any more energy than an Eneloop, so run-time wasn't a concern.

likethevegetable

Enlightened
I thought maybe supporting the two chemistries, therefore voltage ranges, required more logic, and the updated UI consumed more memory? But then again, memory is cheap nowadays. I would wager that WalkIntoTheLight is probably correct, and perhaps they updated their choice in driver and they didn't feel like the extra work was worth it. Then again, ZL likes to put in the design work it seems (I would argue that a PID controller is overkill and PI would be simpler and just as a effective, and likely would have saved them the oscillation issues some of the Mk IVs got)

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
WoW, Nkon only has 1 ZL left in stock...

Yeah, I figure there are two possible outcomes in the new year:

1. Zebralight goes out of business, or

2. They carve off a separate unit for international sales, and all orders must go through them. That would explain why dealers are no longer getting lights. Maybe launch a new lineup of models for this.

Frankly, (2) seems weird, and doesn't explain the lack of lights available for this Christmas season. Their business model just sucks this year, and the only new light they've come up with in years is the SC700. (1) seems more likely.