The vintage California cop light company thread

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ohh man those are some awesome lights!! Congrats on your anniversary too!! I thought you were done bidding on that prolight. Lol, I got busy at work and didn't get a chance to put in a bid before it ended. Looks like you'll have a nice little project out of it though, should be fun. I'm always interested in seeing the many different ways lights are designed. It looks similar to the Kel-Lites but with a different bulb retainer.

I also stand corrected on the durability of the GT Price and LA Screw lights. The innards are much sturdier than cardboard. I'm still not a huge fan of the contact style but they are great lights.

Sgt, thanks again for the info. You have me on the lookout for some of those long out of production models now. If Ed has any pics or literature that would be an amazing addition to this thread. And give me a little more info as to what I'm searching for, lol. You guys do not help my collecting addiction!!

i have a couple rare police lights waiting for me when I get home. One of which I know for sure hasn't been seen here yet so I'll stop slacking off and try to make some additions to the thread next week! Have a great weekend guys!

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
My kinda project!! I love rough lights. The ones in good shape are fun for 10 min and then they sit on the shelf. That Vari-Beam I almost ruined 5 times before getting it back into good running shape. I actually learned a good couple of lessons too if I do another. Lol, it was a roller coaster for a whole week. I'm not a gambling man and I might be a bit of a dork so that was a gamble enough for me. Now I look at it on the shelf and think wow what an effort. If ya need parts for that Pro Light gimme a shout. I might know a guy that knows a guy.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool history...Surprised with how much "Influence" (or maybe Don Keller's innovations) were used by Streamlight: The mini bi-pin bulbs, the Pro-Light charging sleeve set-up, the integrated bulb-reflector...

And, as a side note, this whole thread is making me feel old...as I still carry a full size Streamlight Sl-20x on duty...but modernized with a Malkoff drop in and NiMH battery stick...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
This is cool. A Dano sighting. :cool:

It has been said that Kel-Lite designs were incorparated into Streamlight products when Streamlight acquired Kel-Lite. But how a Pro-Light type charger sleeve found its way to the SL20? Well... Perhaps it was just different enough to not be a stolen idea.

Dawg-gonnit now I want an SL20x...

Last edited:

sgt253

Enlightened
More info from our CPF member EdTor about LA Screw Products flashlights:

Some corrections and additions:

1. I wrote "The one exception to all 'D' sized lights was a 2 cell (and I think a 3 cell) 'C' sized baton & light." I should have wrote; The one exception to all 'D' sized lights was a limited 'C' sized light family which included a 2 cell 'C' sized light made as the handle of a 'standard' police baton & ALSO what they called their "Back Up Light." Their Back Up Light was made, initially anyway, in 2, 3, 5, and 7 'C' cell models and all had a leather lanyard at the tailcap as standard. The switch was also in the tailcap. Again, these were the same small diameter end to end so L.A. Screw cut down the reflector to near nothing which produced a horrible light output. Maybe that's why they slipped my mind -- they really had next to no market.
2. I also forgot to mention that L.A. Screw had a blue anodized light in their 'D' line-up called the Power Probe. It was the same as the black Code Four except blue for non-law enforcement markets.
3. I also wrongly implied you could turn off a switchless Code Four by "just backing one section off by 'a hair'" True, but that "one section" has to be the head, not the facecap but the head. That's because you are backing off from the Shock Plate Assembly (also called the Contact Plate) and its little contacts at the outer edge that transfer ground to the base of the bulb.
1. When I wrote previously my mind was influenced by the fact that Mag does this differently and by loosening its tailcap would kill the light. Not so with Code Four. This is because Mag chose to machine their threads first THEN anodize (which is an insulator) and that required them to machine off the anodizing from the face (butt?) of their barrels and mating surface on their endcap in what is called a 'second operation.'. Most Mag owners learn quickly that the tailcap MUST be tight or no light. Alternately, L.A. Screw anodized first THEN machined their threads in a second operation. That made the entire surface area of the threads electrically conductive. This also allowed the use of those flat cylinder seals.
4. Shock Plate Assembly - Yes, the disk is made from some highly compressed, super strong material but to merely call it "cardboard" implies something FAR less that it's true nature. In 38 years (Yes, I still use them) I've never seen (or heard) of these swelling or responding to moisture as you would expect cardboard to do. I have seen, though rarely, these plates get bowed from the impact of batteries when the light is dropped. The hammer effect of just 2 'D's dropped face first on even a carpeted floor will crush the end of a PR bulb. The Shock (Contact) Plate is well named.
1. One word of caution: on the front of this Contact Plate the positive (center) and negative (outer) contacts come VERY close together as they must to mate up with the bottom of the bulb. Several things can make them touch and short the battery -- NOT GOOD!
1. The plate getting bowed or domed (as above)
2. Using a bulb retainer on our (Qualtech) metal reflector mod. NOT from us. This is because the retainer pushes down on the negative plate as much or more than the base of the PR bulb and works against it making contact. It also deforms that whole U shaped negative contact and makes it short-out against the positive. That is WHY Qualtech turned down the shoulder of our bulb retainers to prevent that, but others supplied the mod. too, like Brinkman, without turning it down.
3. One of the little negative contacts (on the battery side) mentioned above (3.0) might snap off. Now you only need one of those contacts for electrical ground BUT they also mechanically hold the whole negative plate to the Shock Plate. With only one the plate could move and short against the positive.
1. Shock Plate contacts shorting:
1. On an old L.A. Screw made double-sided switch -- the internal contacts were so heavy all you might loose was one or both springs (tailcap & switch) as they heated up and collapsed. Both replaceable easily and cheap (then).
1. This actually caused Qualtech the most problem as our conversion to rechargeable endcap spring sets deep into a Lexan insulating sleeve. When the spring overheated the sleeve melted into it. The conversion endcap had to be rebuilt or replaced.
2. If contacts short on the newer one-sided button module the switch will 'pop' like a fuse. I think G.T. Price made the switch (pardon the pun) to a cheap, JUDCO brand switch and fit it into the 'original' switch module. JUDCO supplies millions of these little DC switches in the automotive and other industries. The most familiar ones might be the dome and map light switches in cars from the '90s onward. Initially, when G.T. were talking about this switch switch :) we reminded them that cops want a blink option. They didn't even get the blink mode right with first ones blinking OFF from ON.

You asked about the time line and relationship between L.A. Screw & G.T. Price.

* All the before mentioned lights were manufactured by Police Equipment Div. of L.A. Screw Products Inc. since at least 1978 and probably earlier. They were at 8401 Loch Lomond Dr., Pico Rivera, CA
* Qualtech was founded in 1975 by its inventor Mr. Onno Prinsze in Scottsdale AZ. Sales began in 1976 converting 'C' & 'D' sized Kel-lites and Maglites. They also starting producing their own rechargeable named Pharo-tech.
* George Price and his 'point man' (national sales mgr.?) Ed Hecock of G.T. Price Products Inc. entered into the 'scene' in some capacity as early as 1985. They may not have owned it at this time. They were then at 2223 East 37th St. L.A. CA.
* By 1991 literature shows G.T. Price Products Inc. as the mfg. of Code Four and the others lights. They were then at 2320 Valencia Dr., Fullerton, CA

More from CPF Member EdTor regarding LA Screw flashlights:

First a word of thanks for helping me with your reposting. I may post again sometime but I do appreciate your help.

I wrote, "Initially, when G.T. were talking about this switch switch :) we reminded them that cops want a blink option. They didn't even get the blink mode right with first ones blinking OFF from ON."

More completely: When the G.T. people were talking about this switch switch :) with us at Qualtech, we reminded them that cops want a blink option BECAUSE they had already made the change without it, just a straight on/off. Even though they did make that change they didn't even get the blink mode right with those first ones blinking OFF from ON. So there were actually 3 different JUDCO type switches in their single-sided switch modules (that used the same [no hole] switch seal as L.A. Screw started with).

To be sure, when G.T. Price took over production from L.A. Screw quality took a hit. While the lights were never made to the high cosmetic level of Maglite, L.A. Screw still produced a high quality light that outperformed Mag on a few levels. Quality and simplicity were paramount and a good example of that was their original, proprietary two-sided switch. When Price took over, price took over. Machine marks and scratches started to appear on finished product. That whole switch switch was cost driven as was everything else. Though serial numbers continued to be stamped on switch modules, brand name stamping of Code Four, Smoke-Cutter & Power Probe) became inconsistent and later dropped. For collectors, having a light with a part, like a tailcap, stamped L.A. Screw doesn't mean it's from the early period as Price naturally used up existing stock.

To replace a Code 4 switch seal it's best to remove the switch module from the light. You must clean out that groove real well of dried glue and rubber seal pieces. Then put the switch in the on (down) position, add 3 or 4 tiny dots of super glue in the groove (Mag too), insert the seal quickly making sure it's in the groove all the way around and work the switch on and off a few times. Leave it in the on (down) position so the switch button doesn't push against the seal while the glue is drying. Then leave it to dry overnight. The best amount of super glue to use is that small amount that isn't visible when you finish. It will hold just fine and make for less clean up next time.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Lovin' Eds play on words... 'switch switch'... 'when Price took over price took over'....

It's too bad they were too cheap to stamp code 4 on the switch, but at least it helped ID the age of my light. Regarding flaws, mine has enough scars to make if difficult to tell if they were there when new.

When these were new I was a kid so my little grass cutting $ woulda gone to bubble gum and not a flashlight. My pop however... once he got past the sticker shock of oh... $20 for a flashlight... he'd probably have skipped over a GT Price made LA Screw if it had those visible flaws thinking "what else did they scrimp on?"... GT Price had been around a long time and shoulda known better.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Acquired an uber rare switch for my B-Lite.
(Broken link to pic removed)
Bonus: Came with a conductor strip!!

The switch will go onto the Pro-Light (if need-be) but the conductor strip is a bit short. Yet it offers an insight on anything custom if need be.

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got some cool new lights in today so I'll make another contribution. This is a 2C Kel-Lite with the rarely seen lanyard end cap. This is a 1971 or 1972 light as per Kel-lite's official dating guide found at: http://www.kellite.com/kel-lite-generations/ This is because it lacks the Kel-Lite stamp behind the switch as well as the cell and size designation. It's a really nice setup. The light is small and light enough where it could easily be carried on a lanyard. These lanyard ring end caps were available in C and D cell sizes. The other, rarely seen judo end caps were only available in C size. The light is in as new condition.

nrINJM8.jpg

I7Ii5pd.jpg

hZng3RR.jpg

This light also came with a very rare Kel-Lite judo stick. These judo sticks were a natural jump for Kel-Lite because they were machined out of aluminum on a lathe in a similar manner to the flashlights. This was one of the earliest models. Later models matched the judo end caps on their C cell lights as shown below. These were sold only to police unlike their other products. These were sold from 1970 to 1975 and are very tough to come by now. Don Keller even wrote a book detailing the judo stick and flashlight defense tactics titled "Kel-Lite Manual of Defensive Tactics".

MVLnNBP.jpg

RrA39NL.jpg

Darn it! I swear I told myself I wasn't going to collect anything other than Maglites! Now I've got other brands and even non-flashlight related items.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Good stuff Lift'd. CPF is an enabler, that's for sure. Good score(s) btw. This thread is getting kinda like the Pulp Fiction movie in that it would change topics from time to time yet they all tied together to tell a story. The story being once upon a time in California USA flashlight technology was changed to solid objects capable of withstanding the rigors of law enforecement and first responder roles without fail. Durability of lights we take for granted these days were a new phenomenon during the hay-day of the vintage California Cop Light companies.

Acquired some LA Screw parts. They are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. QualTech was the supplier of LA Screw products. Ed Tor was a representative and as stated by sgt 253 has been very helpful in passing on some details. We saw his words about the switch switch and how craftsmanship suffered under new ownership of GT Price.

Ed had some stuff laying around and has passed some of it onto yours truely. Some gaskets, a GT Price'd switch assembly and apparently a QualTech metal reflector upgrade. What he mentioned as part of the transaction was some descriptions and details. When the stuff arrives I'll go into more detail with photos. He mentioned the discs in the switch assembly were fastened more securely by adding masking tape around the edges to act as a sorta 'loctite' device. (My word for more positive securing and staying fastened). He stated he is sending me one where the tape was not used so it can be more easily disassembled, and photographed to help others understand how to install a JUDCO switch because only 3 known switch assemblies exist anymore. Idea being future repairs will require replacement of the switch itself within the assembly unit. At some point I hope to perform and document that very procedure.

He also indicated red o-rings were used after the Price ownership.

Now the metal reflector was made by QualTech after Halogens became available. That 4, 10 and 20 watt bulbs melted the plastic ones so a metal reflector set up was devised. I can definitely see the 10 and 20 wreaking havoc on the plastic reflector. I'll compare the metal to plastic as well.

Basically I will edit this post when the time comes. I will also add quotes from Ed as he has also given me permission to quote him.

Last edited:

1pt21

Enlightened
I can't exactly say why, but this thread has become my absolute favorite AND go-to thread on CPF right now... Maybe something to do with the mix of flashlight history blended into U.S. history at the same time?? Man if this could've only been a class when I was in College!! Straight A's!

But between the rust, the funk and the overall damage to the outside this one will probably be a parts light or perhaps a storage container disguised as a really ugly flashlight... a piggy bank perhaps.

A buddy of mine in HighSchool used a 4D mag (in vehicle) to hold his... uhh hummm.. oregano? He swore by it because; #1 a cop sees a mag and thinks nothing of it, #2 the whole unit was air tight sealed so not a single note of that sweet sweet 'oregano' scent would seep out! :naughty: Never let him down BTW.....

Anyways guys, please keep the info comin'. Wish I had some to provide, if I did, I would!

1pt21

Enlightened
Simplicity of the day.
The bulb is attached permanently to the reflector. A pair of pins protrude through the reflector and slide into a connector point.....

That fastens to the sliding switch.
The switch is near identical in appearance to the one on the 5D above.

WOW it's crazy how similar that looks to my old school KIU Bi-Pin kits that I've installed into a few of my mags back in the day!! http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...7-Mag-C-D-High-Temp-Socket-kits-they-are-here

I'll post some pics when I can find them and dig them out. Don't you just love how over-engineered certain things were back then? Now it seems like it's all engineered to fail and end up in a landfill somewhere :shakehead

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
That Mag is ugh! lee!!
It has gouges all over the body where somebody put the kung-fu grip via metal vice at some point. It's still round thank goodness. But between the rust, the funk and the overall damage to the outside this one will probably be a parts light or perhaps a storage container disguised as a really ugly flashlight... a piggy bank perhaps.

Post TM, pre-panther.
Lift'd spoke of TM vs R vs panther logo in the rare Maglite thread (page 7 & 8 iirc) which would put this one about 89-92. Nothing special, but it's the oldest Mag D in my collection. The bezel aint in bad shape so if it will disassemble from the head w/o damage I'll try it on my Malkoff'd green body 3D light.

If that Mag is taking up too much space and wasting away you know where you can send it. :wave:

I don't think I've ever run into a Mag that was too rough to get back running again. Other lights not so much because of the parts availability although thanks to Sgt. I have at least a parts connect for Code 4s!! Thanks dude!!

The stamped R bezel would be between 85 and 89. In 90 and 91 the grip lengths were shortened and the bezels were laser etched. In 92 they slimmed down the barrels and added the Panther logo. I call the 90 and 91 lights transitional lights because they were a cross between the true vintage Mags and the newer upcoming Panther lights. For all intents and purposes Incan Maglites haven't changed since 92.

If you have the serial I can give you a round about date. 1989 4Ds are going to be about 3,000,000 so the closer you are to that the closer the light is to 1989.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't exactly say why, but this thread has become my absolute favorite AND go-to thread on CPF right now... Maybe something to do with the mix of flashlight history blended into U.S. history at the same time?? Man if this could've only been a class when I was in College!! Straight A's!

Probably because you're from Joisey also!! I'm mostly in Pennsyltucky now but I still get back to Dirty Jersey on the weekends.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm sure Mr. Fixer and Sgt. appreciate it too. I know we've all been doing a bunch of research on these older lights. Some of them are getting close to 50 years old now and the inventors/distributors will likely be gone soon so it's really been awesome to be able to document this before it's lost for future collectors.

I think the best is yet to come!! I won't give away any secrets but I know of some pretty interesting lights that have yet to be posted.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I edited my list on Post 4. Gem Light was a small manufacturer in the early 1970s. Abtomat has one of their lights with a tear gas dispenser. I don't have one but I do have a bunch of info on Gem Light I will post soon along with the Kel-Lite that started Gem Light.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
WOW it's crazy how similar that looks to my old school KIU Bi-Pin kits that I've installed into a few of my mags back in the day!! http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...7-Mag-C-D-High-Temp-Socket-kits-they-are-here

I'll post some pics when I can find them and dig them out. Don't you just love how over-engineered certain things were back then? Now it seems like it's all engineered to fail and end up in a landfill somewhere :shakehead

Blame it on Kainsian economics 1pt.
Please do wipe off the dust from those old beauties and don't be shy about the details please.
The thread here is about an era where lights became very sturdy, but at the twighlight of that era you crazy kids were hot-wiring these babies, which also deserves a section in this movie.

Later today edit:
I received a Price'd switch assembly today for my 3+2 = 5D LA Screw light. Folks here know I rarely say anything negative about any flashlights. I won't change that today. But to rave about it? I just cannot tell that lie.

I'm trying to discover the history or model of the 'signaler' my 5D came with. I got it working today. It's a toggler with no permanent 'on' position. You push, pull or press for light. Perhaps that was the botched 'signaler' Ed mentioned. But it is made from much better parts than the JUDCO set up, that part is certain. And it was assembled to be durable. The Price'd clicky was not.

Here's the pix:
(Photobucket held links hostage. Links removed. Sorry)

The Price'd clicky spring is shorter and a much less efficient conductor. The spring is hastily fastened to the grommet that holds it to the connection on the inside. Note the nice copper fastener on the signaler.

Ed and folks at QualTech used masking tape to keep the Price'd discs from falling out when you removed batteries.

The JUDCO switch is fastened via a tiny screw to the barrel.
So basically if your clicky fails you remove the JUDCO off of the barrel, clip the wires, glue your new switch on and solder the wires to a pigtail you hopefully left.
(Broken links to pix removed)

In this day n age we shout "what a stupid setup'. But when LA Screw did it, the clicky was in the invention phase. Sliding switches were still the norm. So naturally some less than awesome ideas were tried. And from a gadget and gizmo guy perspective this thing aint bad. Miracle glue and some solder could get your clicky going again.

Back then miracle glue was a new way. It was not uncommon to see a nickle super-glued to a school desk in those days when the tv comercial had a guy suspended in mid air holding onto his hard hat that had been "super-glued" to a steel girder. It was a time when cars came without AC, radios and dome lights unless you paid extra. And the luxury cars had push button activated map readers.

I also received a QualTech metal reflector. It is nearly identical in size to the LA Screw one but has a bulb retainer. It was meant for those newfangled halogen bulbs. It came with a thin o'ring to sandwich between itself and the lens to act as a gap filler as the LA Screw reflector came with a gasket that you re-used (or replaced) when installing the QualTech one.

(Link to photo of o-ring'd reflector removed)

The Qualtech has a bulb fastener that is conventional size where the LA Screw was over sized just like.....
A B-Lite
(Broken link to pic removed)

Yessssssss!!! A replacement for my B-Lite.
The LA Screw reflector was the same one as John Bianchi/Don Kellers B-Lites.
So my LA Screw now has a metal reflector and my B-Lite has a like new plastic reflector.

Now I tried, tried and tried again to get the Price'd clicky to work connected to the head of my LA Screw in 2 or 3 cell mode. But that junky spring just would not activate the proprietary contact disc. But when I use it inline between two barrels in 5D mode where the spring contacts a battery it works perfectly. I considered doing a recontructive surgery to swap out springs but being there are reportedly only 3 known new assemblies left on the planet (this being one of them) I chose not to. I left it screwed to my 3 cell barrel for the days I want a 5 cell setup. But the light will remain a 2 cell signaler most of the time... that or direct drive 2 cell stubby.
(Got the Price'd clicky working in 3 cell configuration)

Appologies for the links to photos issue. Maybe some day they will magically work again.

The Bianchi B-Lite with LA Screw reflector, a Smoke Cuttered Code 4 by LA Screw with a funky toggler switch and a 3 cell Code 4 with a GT Price'd clicky switch.

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome!! I'm waiting for my parts cache from Qualtech as well. Tat is great info on the interchangeability of the B Lite and LA Screw Reflectors. Are they are a 1 for 1 swap? Are the threads and size/shape the same on them? I like the LA Screw lights, a lot, and it's super interesting to see the evolution of these lights. That being said I can see why that system isn't used anymore. Getting all the contacts to line up and then ensuring there is low overall resistance in the system is difficult. I can just see a user in the field having difficulty with this.

This reminds me so much of the old trucks I used to collect and work on. I like your analogy to cars too. The saying used to go new trucks have flaws, vintage trucks have quirks. Nobody will complain about a classic Bronco with No A?C because it's supposed to be ridden with the top down and the smoker's vents open! Hop into a new XL F150 and you won't even find an option for no A/C because any workers would probably file a lawsuit against the company for buying one without.

Anyway, I've been working on a 5C 1st Gen Kel-Lite I picked up with 2 stuck cells and after a nice vinegar bath, success! I was able to exile the offending cells from their unjustly occupied aluminum territory.

LZJwfor.jpg

ABTOMAT wasn't kidding when he said Kel-Lite sold a ton of these. I've seen sooo many 1st Gen 5Cs. Going on 45 years later and seeing this many really says something. Either they last forever, which they do, or there were a ton of them made and sold. Crazy to see that C cells were the preferred option in the early days. I guess it's because the diameter was so much closer to a billy club or baton. I've still got a little work to do but this is turning out to be quite the nice little project. I don't have many other restorations lined up so I've gotta start scouting the bay because that is half the fun in these lights to me is getting them back into working order and saving them from the scrap heap! NIB is nice but used and abused tells a better story!

V9eikWu.jpg

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I remember as a kid my dad had a 2D Mag and mom had a 4C. My dad called hers a girl sized light. But strangely enough he used her light way more often than his.

I think it boils down to grip. The baton, the golf club, the bicycle/motorcycle grip, the baseball bat... all similar in size. I definitely prefer to carry a 4C Mag vs a 3D although they weigh pretty close to the same.

But carrying a 2D sized Bianchi... that thing just exudes strength. Not owning a Kel-Lite (yet) I cannot say how they feel. But carrying my 2D Bianchi makes my 4C Mag feel... like a girl sized light (insert tool time Tim Taylor roar here)

Yes the reflector from an LA Screw to a B-Lite is a direct swap. Even uses the same gasket around it.

I began a recoating process of the B-Lite lens yesterday.
(Photobucket holding link hostage to picture of finished product and the Krylon for plastic paint used so I removed it)
5 very thin coats of white and 5 very thin coats of clear coat to 'orange peel' it.
It's inside a cure box inside my home as a fume free way to keep the temp/humidity stable.

I did a compare after a coat of white to see how it will work. Basically the clear (read coating gone from) reflector cast a very floody beam with a soft spot. The white background did not change that. It did however seem to put more light out front. I'll add some shiney clear coat in a few days as my thought is to have a flooder beam like those lights from the early days.

Great analogy on the Bronco vs F-150 these days. Kinda like "alkaline batteries? Are you crazy? Carbon zincs? No way I'm using those things" Leaked battery? I'm suein' somebody.

Last edited:

carnage

Enlightened
Great thread! Can these flashlight be cleaned up with auto compound and polish to bring back the finish or that that will just ruin the patina/character of them?