The vintage California cop light company thread

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Great question Carnage!!!

The coatings on these babies were tough. So far I've found that a diluted soapy water dipped tooth brush removes most of the dingey stuff in the textured areas and a good buff with a micro fiber cloth brings the life back. The lenses and reflectors can be tricky as the coating on plastic reflectors scratches very easily. Lenses too.
Best when gentley finger tip cleaned under a slow running faucet.

You can apply a car polish if you desire, however the stuff will be difficult to remove from the textured surfaces. If you've ever waxed the lower portions of an automobile with a textured surface it's similar.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread! Can these flashlight be cleaned up with auto compound and polish to bring back the finish or that that will just ruin the patina/character of them?

I normally don't touch the finish because like other antiques they are best in original condition. The finish is anodizing on most of these lights so I don't think they'd benefit from polishing. Usually over time the anodizing fades and there's really no way to bring it back without re-anodizing it which would be expensive for a single piece and it would have to be stripped all the way down.

What I have found very interesting on the fading anodizing is that like all other finishes no one can produce a true black. That's because black is the absence of all color and not a color itself. On the faded lights you'll see purple, blue, even some dark reds. Basically when anodizing a light "black" what the anodizers are doing is anodizing the light a really really dark, red, blue, purple, etc. So much so that it looks black when new. Here's an example below of two black Maglites from around the same time. One stayed new in box and one was well used.

sEiFxgG.jpg

You can see the used one looks purple due to the anodizing fading away.

Anyway, that's probably a really long answer to your questions but the long and short is there really isn't a way to repair the existing finish on a light. Re-finishing it is generally expensive or not a good idea if you're a collector. I do use some gun oil from time to time on lights to make the finish look a little nicer though. I use the Gojo orange hand cleaner with pumice to remove dirt and gunk building. These two together will make a light look just about as good as it can be without ruining it's character.

EDIT: Woo hoo, page 3!!! That's 3 more pages than I ever thought I'd see on vintage lights!! I really hope this gets others interested in collecting because it really is a blast and it's an affordable hobby to get into.

Last edited:

carnage

Enlightened
For the plastic lenses there is non abrasive plastic polish on the market. They uses chemical cleaners instead of abrasives and with a good microfiber it might bring the optical clarity back to the lenses. Can you use a spray can coating on the lenses like 2k spray clearcoat to help restore the lense?

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
5 very thin coats of white and 5 very thin coats of clear coat to 'orange peel' it.
It's inside a cure box inside my home as a fume free way to keep the temp/humidity stable.

I did a compare after a coat of white to see how it will work. Basically the clear (read coating gone from) reflector cast a very floody beam with a soft spot. The white background did not change that. It did however seem to put more light out front. I'll add some shiney clear coat in a few days as my thought is to have a flooder beam like those lights from the early days.

Hey Mr. Fixer, wanted to ask ya too. Are you planning on using any kind of chrome paint over this? I have a 3rd gen Kel Lite reflector I want to do and I basically have it sanded down to raw metal so I was thinking starting with a matte white coating and then going to a chrome spray paint but I was wondering if you had any advice as far as brand or type of paint to get so it looks half way decent.

carnage

Enlightened
I normally don't touch the finish because like other antiques they are best in original condition. The finish is anodizing on most of these lights so I don't think they'd benefit from polishing. Usually over time the anodizing fades and there's really no way to bring it back without re-anodizing it which would be expensive for a single piece and it would have to be stripped all the way down.

What I have found very interesting on the fading anodizing is that like all other finishes no one can produce a true black. That's because black is the absence of all color and not a color itself. On the faded lights you'll see purple, blue, even some dark reds. Basically when anodizing a light "black" what the anodizers are doing is anodizing the light a really really dark, red, blue, purple, etc. So much so that it looks black when new. Here's an example below of two black Maglites from around the same time. One stayed new in box and one was well used.

IMG_1889.jpg

You can see the used one looks purple due to the anodizing fading away.

Anyway, that's probably a really long answer to your questions but the long and short is there really isn't a way to repair the existing finish on a light. Re-finishing it is generally expensive or not a good idea if you're a collector. I do use some gun oil from time to time on lights to make the finish look a little nicer though. I use the Gojo orange hand cleaner with pumice to remove dirt and gunk building. These two together will make a light look just about as good as it can be without ruining it's character.

EDIT: Woo hoo, page 3!!! That's 3 more pages than I ever thought I'd see on vintage lights!! I really hope this gets others interested in collecting because it really is a blast and it's an affordable hobby to get into.

I wasn't sure if there were like automotive paint or powder coated on the light. If you were using Gojo which is abrasive would a auto compound be just as good and leave a shine behind?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I wasn't sure if there were like automotive paint or powder coated on the light. If you were using Gojo which is abrasive would a auto compound be just as good and leave a shine behind?

I use pumice free hand cleaner. Permatex makes it. Back when these lights were new there was no pumice in the go-jo we had access to. It got engine parts sparkling clean without harming the finish when gentley massaged onto the surface and sprayed off with a house typical water pressured garden hose.
But so far a highly diluted soapy water, a tooth brush and a buffing cloth have made mine look great.

Now a silver light? Mothers mag wheel polish does wonders for those. (See my 'restore vintage lights' thread for some examples).

Lift'd, I've seen some stuff used that'll give a very chrome-ish appearance. A 2 stage process where a catalyst is applied then the final product. Look up re-chroming motorcycle parts. I've seen it used on plastics, coated wood and metal. For best look they paint it black first. But I went with white because it reflects light better. Yeah the plan is to try it someday... when I have several reflectors to do so the cost can be spread out over the items. No specific products to reccomend, but I've seen 'spray bottle' applications to air compressed applications and lots in between in youtube videos.

Last edited:

irongate

Enlightened
Great thread! Can these flashlight be cleaned up with auto compound and polish to bring back the finish or that that will just ruin the patina/character of them?

I would say depends upon what kind of finish-paint,chrome or other. Sometimes just some good soap and water. Other times I like using Blue Magic-Metal Polish cream.

Other thoughts?

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's a good question. I suppose the pumice could be abrasive but I just use my hands to clean it when doing that and I don't go crazy with it. I actually like the pumice cleaners because it makes it easier to clean out the knurling on the grips. If you tried to use some kind of electric tool or like a brillo pad or something I could see how the pumice would be abrasive.

carnage

Enlightened
That's a good question. I suppose the pumice could be abrasive but I just use my hands to clean it when doing that and I don't go crazy with it. I actually like the pumice cleaners because it makes it easier to clean out the knurling on the grips. If you tried to use some kind of electric tool or like a brillo pad or something I could see how the pumice would be abrasive.

I uesd to use Gojo hand cleaner with pumice and when cleaning hands you can feel the grit. I'm not sure sure if Gojo makes different hand cleaners.

carnage

Enlightened
The key is to take your time and be gentle with it.

And BlueMagic is good stuff.

It's like baby step, try the mildest and work your way up as long there no harm in doing so.

I haven't use Blue Magic in 10 years plus. I think it's blue in color not sure if it change.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I haven't use Blue Magic in 10 years plus. I think it's blue in color not sure if it change.

So save it for restoring vintage LED lights with all those "bluemens"? lol

I like detailing cars as a hobby and it's pretty the same, start with the mildest and work your way up from there.
Yup. Hondas R&D cars (the Prelude and Integra) tried all kinds of coatings over alloys so I did a lot of R&D myself as I was restoring a 97 Prelude.

carnage

Enlightened
Come to think about it, isn't all or most of Blue Coral product is blue because of the name?

I had the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, generation of Prelude and one with the all wheel steering. I was going to pick up 2000 Integra and put performance parts in it but then I got a job at a Toyota dealership and got into Celica. Now that I'm older, I started driving SUV.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to pick up 2000 Integra and put performance parts in it but then I got a job at a Toyota dealership and got into Celica. Now that I'm older, I started driving SUV.

Right on! Please tell me it's a 4Runner. Isn't that the only SUV Toyota makes? That's where my user name comes from. Ive been using it since I got my 4Runner in 2001 and joined my first forum, a Toyota board. Unfortunately I had to get rid of the yota in 2013. I would have bought another one if it wasn't for lack of aftermarket for off-road. It was an awesome truck. One day I'll buy a Land Cruiser but that's a ways away.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My son currently owns a 91, 93 and 01 Prelude. I have a 97 All black.

The 91 has lived indoors it's whole life except a few months I had it under a real nice cover. At one point we had 3 91's, a 93, 95, an 01 and a 97 all under restoration at the same time. The 95 was murdered by a red light runner and man that was a minty, fast car. 2 91's were falling apart faster than we could fix them. My 97 is in mothballs. The 01 is in progress of weight savings and added ponies while the 93 is his daily and the remaining 91 is 99% completed to dang near mint condition.

Now thanks to a tip by a certain 4runner fan I have an east meets west Streamlight enroute that was made shortly after the Kel-Lite acquisition
(Broken link to the pic of the Streamlight made Kel-Lite removed)
And a GT Price smoke cutter I won at auction for less than the price of a fast food combo.
(Broken link to pic of the light removed)

(Appologies for links to pix issues)

Idea being to keep the LA Screw history talk going as the details are known and to add to the Kel-Lite saga. It was written in one of the posts and at Atmobats thread that Don Keller later acquired GT Price and re-kindled Kel-Lite via Smoke Cutter Jr's. (Thought I'd landed some but seller later said "oops I'm outta those but I'll sell you some Bison Tech stuff... alluding to the Bison Sports stuff made by disgruntled members of Tony Maglicas family... and Bison Tech is $5 stuff available all over the place)

Now looking at the pix of the Smoke Cutter it looks like some Carnage questions may be answered soon, because it appears to be in need of mucho-grande' TLC.

I said this won't be about SureFire and meant it. But did want to say I scored a minty version of an early rechargeable model from days when Carlisle may have used Streamlight bulbs due to lack of stock. The Laser Products 6R.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Double post-play-thru...

I have found some potentially promising products at Eastwood the famous automotive coatings company. It's called "almost chrome" and is apparently meant for restoring old tail light reflectors. $19 rattle can but I aint skeered. Not looking for a mirror like factory, but if it'll reflect enough to show what color shirt I'm wearing I'm cool with that.

Last edited:

carnage

Enlightened
My all wheel steering Prelude got hit in the rear and drove the same again. The rear steering was off and no wheel alignment could fix, it was a same

Nice little collection of Preludes you have.

Can't wait to see those lights all clean up.