Ti Arc AAA...

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
As much as I'd love one, I know this wont be a reality. I'll eat my words if it does happen (yes I'll print them out and pour some hot sauce or something on there and gobble them down.

Unfortunately with Peter having a hard enough time as it is finding reliable machinists / shops to work with, finding one that would put up with the trials and tribulations (lots of busted bits / scrapped ti from mistakes) would be impossible and or too costly.

That said, I'm in lol.

And yes I'd video myself eating said words and post to youtube.

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
>>A gift for us this Christmas?

This X-Mas.

There's no good reason this shouldn't have been done or couldn't get done in time. Like it or not Titanium is here to stay. Even Surefire, slow to change, has jumped on the bus. Given the Titan's sucess I'm willing to bet it won't be the last Ti they put out.

Let's see this one done. It doesn't have to be complicated. Just keep it simple and keep it all Ti!

iconoclast

Enlightened
may as well add me to this hypothetical list. if they existed, I'd buy at least one. probably two, depending on price.

:popcorn:

marcdilnutt

Enlightened
Count me in for one or two, preferably with the snow led. I think that would be just about my perfect light.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I continue to wonder why the big desire for Ti, especially in such a small light as the Arc-AAA. It's going to add so much additional weight, it will feel like a fishing sinker.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, titanium is appealing because:
  • I like the way that it looks,
  • It is a relatively rare material for flashlights and this rarity increases my joy of ownership,
  • It is reasonably light and exceptionally strong and durable,
  • It is non-corrosive
In my opinion, it is THE preferred material to build the AAA-P out of because of these qualities; it should make an already bomb-proof light even more so.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
For me, titanium is appealing because:
  • I like the way that it looks,
  • It is a relatively rare material for flashlights and this rarity increases my joy of ownership,
  • It is reasonably light and exceptionally strong and durable,
  • It is non-corrosive
In my opinion, it is THE preferred material to build the AAA-P out of because of these qualities; it should make an already bomb-proof light even more so.

Sorry guys. I beg to differ. As far as looks, I can't argue that with you. If you like the looks, than great. "Relatively" rare is probably accureate, although there are at least (3) makers with Ti flashlights. Compared to the Arc-AAA sitting in your pocket right now, a Ti version will be heavier. It will feel at least 50% heavier. Non-Corrosive? When's the last time you had a light corrode?

I'm not arguing, just trying debate the real usefullness of a Ti Arc-AAA light.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
T_I_N is right, from a functional perspective, Ti does not provide much that the current refined Arc-AAA lacks. In this particular application, the advantages of Ti are mostly cosmetic or rarety for the sake of rarety. As you know, that's doesn't float with me.

On the CPF, you have your choice of many manufacturers. If you are looking for appearances, you have lots of choices.

Don't get me wrong, I like Ti where it provides an advantage. Our wedding rings were made out of the same bar of 64V. Compared to what rings are normally made of, our rings don't scratch as much and they are noticably lighter.

For the new LS, I have opted to use a small amount of 64V for the bezel. And this is because the Ti brings something significantly functional to that part. In most flashlights, the bezel is the weakest part and that is where most drops hit the ground. Lights with secondary optics tend to have thin walls at their bezel. In normal use, I have see Al bezels dented enough to make it difficult to service the optics. However, it is rare to see an Arc-AAA be dented enough to reduce its functionality.

Furthermore, with the Arc-AAA, it doesn't make it lighter, it makes it heavier. It doesn't make it more scratch resistant, it makes it less scratch resistant (Type III is harder than Ti), Ti is also less conductive and more expensive.

When I own a nice looking tool, I feel guilty if it looks nice because it sacrificed what it means to be a tool. However, if it looks nice because it is a good tool, then that is a bonus.

Look at the F-16. It wasn't made to look pretty. Its appearance is a product of its functional design. That's more beautiful than something that was designed to please the eyes first.

With effort, we can change our perception of what is beautiful to mean something that is less functional just like we can crave things that are sweet. I worry about that. Then we will be dominated by devices that are meant to please our fickle superficiality. Devices that don't last, that don't save us time and we can never seem to have enough.

I get excited when an improvement to a design makes it twice as efficient or twice as bright or longer battery life, smaller, etc.

peter

Last edited:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
In this particular application, the advantages of Ti are mostly cosmetic or rarety for the sake of rarety. As you know, that's doesn't float with me.

I feel like I am being singled out here:poke::nana:... but that won't stop me from buying many of your LS lights OR your Ti AAA-P when you make it:whistle:

I am going to increase my buy commitment to (2) of the AAA-P's in Titanium.

iconoclast

Enlightened
T_I_N is right, from a functional perspective, Ti does not provide much that the current refined Arc-AAA lacks. In this particular application, the advantages of Ti are mostly cosmetic or rarety for the sake of rarety. As you know, that's doesn't float with me.

When I own a nice looking tool, I feel guilty if it looks nice because it sacrificed what it means to be a tool. However, if it looks nice because it is a good tool, then that is a bonus.

I agree with your notion on tools and their function being of primary importance (and even the justification for their existence). It's a waste if it looks pretty on the shelf and doesn't actually get used.
That said, cosmetics are important too, at least for me. I wouldn't have a less functional flashlight (or other tool) just because it looks nicer, but if I have my choice between ones that work equally well (for whatever criteria is important for the task) then the "form" provides bonus points for the selection process.
Don't get me wrong, I love the Arc-AAA-p and use it often. But it doesn't get edc'd, and an Arc-AAA-p in ti or even in HA-III black, would get carried more.

I've had HA-III lights get visibly dinged from a fall onto concrete, though it fairness they've been much bigger and had heavier batteries than the entire Arc-AAA light.
Nevertheless, the titanium lights I've dropped have only need to have their scuffs polished out. None of these drops have been intentional, so I don't have apples-to-apples comparison with exactly the same size/weight lights, etc. but for me the ti is more functional than the HA-III aluminum, even if it's technically less scratch resistant. Whether that's a fair trade off for your needs or whether or not it justifies the price increase are decisions each buyer will need to make for them selves. As for me, I think viewing ti as just cosmetic is a bit of an oversimplification.

So yes, I understand the reasons for not being inclined to make a ti Arc. But if such a thing were made, I'd buy two (one for a gift) and both would get regular use as a tool. And for my purposes I would feel the increased usefulness justified the price of the ti.
If it doesn't happen, then I'll just keep hoping for an Arc-LS in HA-III black. :devil:

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would buy a special edition Ti Arc-P, and at a premium, to give you more funds to apply towards making other more functional, non-cosmetic and non-rare enhancements :)

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a piece of ti barstock at an amazing price a while back in the hopes of having it milled into a ti aaa style light. After asking around I figured out that no shop would be willing to crank out such a thing in my price range, and especially with only one piece to try it on. DOH!

paulr

Flashaholic
I sort of thought of buying P. Baltic in Ti but missed their xmas sale and am not sure it was included anyway.